Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's the #1 hardest hitting METAL band ever/most intense crowd

Bonef1de

That is an incredible sig, Painkiller. So jealous. :cheers: Best Priest album, although the new one gave it a run for its money.

I've heard plenty of those three bands and I just don't hear anything novel in them. It's way abrasive and, while it's definitely heavy, it just sounds uninspired to me. I remember watching the side stage at Ozzfest two years for hours and it all sounded very messy to me. Lamb of God is one of the few of the NWOAHM bands I can tolerate, but it still does not offer true metal riffs or tasty lead riffs that were fluorishing in the 70s and 80s. It's probably fair for you to say that "I don't get it", but I have given it plenty of a try and I have tried to make myself like it, but it just seems like a thrash trainwreck to me.

Thanks for the sig compliment. It's an idea I had for a while, and Toressa put it together for me. Combines my two favorite things in the world. The Redskins, and Metal. :cheers:

With the NWOAHM groups, the roots are their for something great. They are VERY heavy, and VERY metal. While I like a lot of the new stuff, I think the biggest problem with these newer groups is the lack of the operatic vocalist ala Halford, Dickinson, Dio, or Tate. If you put a soaring vocalist on some of the stuff that Lamb of God, or Shadow's Fall is doing, it would be incredible. I think too many vocalists these days are emulating Phil Anselmo, and while I dig Phil's vocal style, and love Pantera, (who I failed to mention earlier, but deserve their props for keeping true metal in the mainstream in the 90's when c-rap, and teen pop took over) we need the soaring choruses back in metal.

If you haven't checked out Halford's immediate past solo work prior to the reunion with Priest, you should. "Resurrection" his 2000 comeback album and 2002's "Crucible" were excellent old-school style metal albums. Also the Live Album released in 2001 "Live: Insurrection" was fantastic. Overkill is still putting out decent metal, (Check out 2003's "Killbox 13") and Anthrax's "We've come for you all" also from 2003. Great stuff. Iced Earth is also a great American metal band in the vein of Maiden. Check out "The Glorious Burden" with Ripper Owens on vocals. :cheers:

Painkiller, hard to go wrong with your list, from the long-term historical perspective. And glad you brought up some of the newer bands. I especially dig Lamb of God, of those three. There's just soooo much good music happening these days, most of it under the radar, but even those three show that good, major label stuff is available. Oh, and Mastodon's "Blood Mountain" is going to slay people later this summer.

But seriously, there was another thread on this subject a couple months back. The convergence of metal and post-hardcore stuff has yielded just a ton of good bands in the last 10-15 years. Converge, Neurosis, Isis, High on Fire, Burnt by the Sun, Boris, Sunn0))), Esoteric, The Hidden Hand, YOB, The Red Chord, Pelican, Botch, Mastodon, Knut, Dysrhythmia, Nasum, Khanate, Keelhaul, Coalesce, Dillinger Escape Plan, et. al. Oh, and the mighty Pig Destroyer.

And I'm just a jazz freak who also likes metal. Musical life abounds beyond the mainstream, and it's a GOOD thing that it's not British Steel part 100.

I personally like metal to get amped up for something. Its not so good for spades, when I play spades I like jazz or some classical music. Same goes for chess. If Im planning the destruction of a nation from within, I definately go with Ravels Bolero.

Jazz or classical when playing spades??? We DEFINITELY hung with different crowds growing up...:laugh:

Godsmack

Pantera

I should punch you in the balls for mentioning Pantera and Godsmack in the same post. :laugh:

Painkiller, hard to go wrong with your list, from the long-term historical perspective. And glad you brought up some of the newer bands. I especially dig Lamb of God, of those three. There's just soooo much good music happening these days, most of it under the radar, but even those three show that good, major label stuff is available. Oh, and Mastodon's "Blood Mountain" is going to slay people later this summer.

But seriously, there was another thread on this subject a couple months back. The convergence of metal and post-hardcore stuff has yielded just a ton of good bands in the last 10-15 years. Converge, Neurosis, Isis, High on Fire, Burnt by the Sun, Boris, Sunn0))), Esoteric, The Hidden Hand, YOB, The Red Chord, Pelican, Botch, Mastodon, Knut, Dysrhythmia, Nasum, Khanate, Keelhaul, Coalesce, Dillinger Escape Plan, et. al. Oh, and the mighty Pig Destroyer.

And I'm just a jazz freak who also likes metal. Musical life abounds beyond the mainstream, and it's a GOOD thing that it's not British Steel part 100.

Oh man, how could I forget Mastodon! Leviathan is a kick in the nuts, awesome album. I haven't heard a lot of the groups you mentioned, but now I've got some new names groups to look up on the internet. Also, Avenged Sevenfold is trying some new stuff also. Mixing punk, goth, glam, and classic metal sounds. The vocalist annoys me a bit, ( he can't growl anymore, due to surgery on his throat) but you only have to listen to "Beast and the Harlot" to know those guys can play.

The heaviest show I saw was Static X, Slayer, and Pantera. The greatest metal show I ever saw was Testament, Megadeth, and Judas Priest. The most fun I ever had at a show was GWAR, well worth the admission price. All great bands, but, Priest has done it better for a lot longer and inspired most of the bands people have mentioned. So, based on that Judas Priest is the best Metal band PERIOD.

Guys I gotta say that I'm blown away at the # of my ES brethren responding to this thread. :cheers: You guys rock. I changed the thread title so people can post about their experiences at certain shows. Lets hear about those pits people. :laugh:

Some of you probably know about this already but Pantera has a song called Five Minute's Alone. Here is a quote behind the meaning of the song.

There was a guy in the front row in San Diego who was heckling lead singer Phil Anselmo. Phil finally had enough, so he incited the crowd to jump this guy. The guy sued them. Then his dad called Pantera's manager and his exact quote was, "You just give me five minutes alone with that Phil Anselmo guy and I'll show him who's big daddy around here." Phil's response was "You just give me five minutes with that cat's dad and I'll whoop his a**." And that's where that song came from. (from the best of Pantera booklet)

You best think again if your gonna **** with Phil

image009.jpg

King Diamond puts on an awesome show as well....maybe not as heavy all the time due to the nature of his style of music, but he does alot of theatrics during it...probably ranks up in the top 5 concerts I have ever seen

Can't believe I forgot to mention Pelican and Dillinger Escape Plan.

But Meshuggah still stands above all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgH8SEqK2qI

The heaviest show I saw was Static X, Slayer, and Pantera. The greatest metal show I ever saw was Testament, Megadeth, and Judas Priest. The most fun I ever had at a show was GWAR, well worth the admission price. All great bands, but, Priest has done it better for a lot longer and inspired most of the bands people have mentioned. So, based on that Judas Priest is the best Metal band PERIOD.

I can't believe it took till the 6th page for someone to mention GWAR :applause:

Guys I gotta say that I'm blown away at the # of my ES brethren responding to this thread. :cheers: You guys rock. I changed the thread title so people can post about their experiences at certain shows. Lets hear about those pits people. :laugh:

Some of you probably know about this already but Pantera has a song called Five Minute's Alone. Here is a quote behind the meaning of the song.

You best think again if your gonna **** with Phil

image009.jpg

Cool, I never knew the story behind "5 Minutes Alone." Phil's definitely a bad MF. He's been in all kinds of trouble for decking hecklers at shows. He reminds me of Henry Rollins a lot. Not really his style but his attitude. Plus he's a huge Black Flag fan.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Pelican and Dillinger Escape Plan.

But Meshuggah still stands above all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgH8SEqK2qI

Dude, yes! How could I have forgotten the mighty Meshuggah? "Destroy Erase Improve," baby!

I actually went to way more har(dc)ore shows than metal growing up (in the 80s in D.C., how could you not? Too young for the *GREAT* Bad Brains though). But I'd have to say that the most intense metal show I've ever attended - in terms of a single band's energy and power - was Mastodon last year at the Cat's Cradel in Carrboro, NC. Those guys just kill live, I mean it.

Bear in mind that I've never seen Slayer or Pantera live, and they might take honors. (Saw King Diamond on the "Conspiracy" tour - fun but not much more, imho.)

But in terms of best overall bill, I have to give it up for a 1989 show I saw in London: S.O.D., King's X, Suicidal Tendencies, and Anthrax. BAM!!!

For me, there are too many metal bands that I love to name just one as the best. But, I can tell you the greatest heavy metal album ever: Dio - Holy Diver. No other album even comes close. Ronnie James Dio kicks ass!

Nice pull there nelms! Not sure if I agree that it's the best album ever, but, it definitely does kick major ass! I saw Dio on the Sacred Heart tour from the third row at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Amazing show! Accept opened up (I think they were promoting the Russian Roulette album) and absolutely jammed as well, although it didn't seem as if many people even knew who Accept was.

Old school? Stormtroopers of Death, which had some Anthrax members, had some of the craziest, heaviest stuff, and more so than Anthrax, Metallica, etc...Songs like "Kill Yourself" "Milk," and "Chromatic Death" are fast, furious, and fun, and few can compare to the "Speak English or Die" album.

Some of the bands mentioned on this thread are a bit overrated, IMHO.

New stuff? Check out Mastodon - they are some of the new kings of metal. Integrity is also very cool and has some great new metal songs.

Fun thread, brings back memories (or vague echoes of some)

Pantera, Sepultura, Biohazard at Merriweather, the one where the guy got tossed on his head and paralyzed? Left some skin, blood and part of my hearing at that one but it was worth it. Long time back but still a fyne memory. It's still funny that Merriweather didn't have the slightest clue what was coming :laugh:

And what's with the GWAR bashing? No one mentions them for the quality of the music but they do fantastic shows, it's like tripping without the crash at the end. Still have ticket stubs from a Halloween gig they did at Hammerjacks / Balt (don't even know if it's still there, don't think so). The #1 consumer of foam rubber in the western hemisphere

Anyone remember when Gwar was on the Joan Rivers show in 1991? Freakin' hysterical. You can find it and watch it on YouTube.

Did you see the two GWAR fans that auditioned for American Idol last season? I laughed my ass off at those two clowns, they came out in full costume, and one looked a lot like Oderus. :laugh:

Simon's reaction was priceless.

Archived