Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's the #1 hardest hitting METAL band ever/most intense crowd

Bonef1de

Ouch! I have pretty eclectic music tastes, but even I have my limits.

Metal still sucks. It's just a bunch of repetitive noise from a bunch of poser goofs. Playing fast is not playing well. Playing loud is not playing well. And if you just want to be angry, the Punkers did it much better than the Metaldorks ever did.

To sum up - this picture sums up my view of heavy metal in a nutshell, and it basically just makes me laugh (and cover my ears)

immortal49ow1iq9va.gif

Nice trolling on the metal thread, deuchebag!

Fantomas sucks, sure they have parts from other good bands but that's it. Saw them at a Tool concert and they got booed by the crowd. Just pointless screaming.

Fantomas can be good fun, although they're basically a Naked City ripoff (Patton worships Zorn).

Most of the greats have been mentioned, but a couple of things to add:

In my opinion, metal for the most part is dead. I am a huge metal fan, but there really is nothing out there I would call good heavy metal. Some post-Pantera stuff is decent like Black Label and Superjoint Ritual, but most metal has been reduced to drop-D, sweep picking, and growl "vocals". Slayer is the only band who had the thrash formula down, and I think that many of the growl metal bands today seem to think that playing faster, having heavier 5th chords, and playing faster "solos" is a recipe for great metal. All the taste in metal is gone right now. The smooth and heavy jams of the 70s and 80s are gone and replaced by metal that is abrasive and generally uninspired.

I want to make mention of Black Sabbath here because they have totally been forgotten for the most part in this thread. They are the original, if you will.

Also, I recommend Kyuss to any old school metal fans.

I actually think this is a wonderful time to be a metal fan, and I agree with some of your generalizations too.

Based on some of the bands you're name-checking, seems like you might dig The Sword.

Heavy heavy metal... Slayer.

Everything else is just slightly harder hard rock

Damn right. I hate to get in on this thread so late but yes Slayer is the heavy metal band. When I was in high school I was a HUGE Slayer fanatic.

Pantera is a very close second though. Rest in peace Dimebag...:notworthy

Ya know, Hair Metal was fine until Poison came along & ****ed it up for everyone else.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevery rooooooooooooooooooooose has its thooooooooooorn.:laugh: What a horrible song...which lead to all the "power ballads":puke:

I might be too young for this thread to really appreciate Metal in its heyday. But for me, Metallica, Sabbath, and Tool.

For me, there are too many metal bands that I love to name just one as the best. But, I can tell you the greatest heavy metal album ever: Dio - Holy Diver. No other album even comes close. Ronnie James Dio kicks ass!

I actually think this is a wonderful time to be a metal fan, and I agree with some of your generalizations too.

Based on some of the bands you're name-checking, seems like you might dig The Sword.

I think it's nice to be a metal fan now in that I've been able to see some of the great metal bands of the past this decade: Priest, Sabbath, Ozzy, Slayer, 'Ryche, (ridicule me if you must) Rush, etc. Other than that, there really hasn't been much new for me to get excited about.

Anyone ever hear of an obscure english metal group called Budgie? Man they rock. Checkout out Breadfan and Napolean parts 1 and 2. Wow.!!!!.

My Dad keeps trying to get me to check them out, he really likes 'em. He goes crazy every time they come on XM... I'll have to check out those two.

Can't believe we don't have any Reznor fans out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0IpHAeS7AU

March of the Pigs...classic NIN

I don't know that I put them into the metal genre. Metal is not much on production and Reznor's music is defined by it. Granted, a lot of NIN's stuff is good (I saw them in November... moreso to see Death From Above 1979 and Queens of the Stone Age open, though), but I think of it in a completely different realm.

For me, there are too many metal bands that I love to name just one as the best. But, I can tell you the greatest heavy metal album ever: Dio - Holy Diver. No other album even comes close. Ronnie James Dio kicks ass!

Killer album. Dio is definitely one dude I want to see live before he's done.

BTW, he invented the metal horns, not Gene Simmons!! If you all haven't heard the story of how he came up with the horns, look it up... damn funny

Recommended reading for everyone in this thread: "The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal"

For me there are a handful of "bests," because each one brought something different to the table.

Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Metallica

Sabbath were the originals, Priest took Sabbath and bumped it up a notch (Check out the "Sad Wings of Destiny" album), Maiden brought the theatrical, Metallica brought the aggressive speed metal sound inspired from the several one album wonders known as the NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal), as did Slayer, and to a lesser degree Anthrax.

Also, for those who think metal is dead...your just not paying attention. Listen to several groups from what is now being called by most metalheads the NWOAHM (New Wave of American Heavy Metal). Groups like Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, and Killswitch Engage just to name a few.

Metal is still here,...but metal is not music for the masses. It's not a music for mass consumption. You either get it or you don't.

For me there are a handful of "bests," because each one brought something different to the table.

Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Metallica

Sabbath were the originals, Priest took Sabbath and bumped it up a notch (Check out the "Sad Wings of Destiny" album), Maiden brought the theatrical, Metallica brought the aggressive speed metal sound inspired from the several one album wonders known as the NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal), as did Slayer, and to a lesser degree Anthrax.

Also, for those who think metal is dead...your just not paying attention. Listen to several groups from what is now being called by most metalheads the NWOAHM (New Wave of American Heavy Metal). Groups like Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, and Killswitch Engage just to name a few.

Metal is still here,...but metal is not music for the masses. It's not a music for mass consumption. You either get it or you don't.

That is an incredible sig, Painkiller. So jealous. :cheers: Best Priest album, although the new one gave it a run for its money.

I've heard plenty of those three bands and I just don't hear anything novel in them. It's way abrasive and, while it's definitely heavy, it just sounds uninspired to me. I remember watching the side stage at Ozzfest two years for hours and it all sounded very messy to me. Lamb of God is one of the few of the NWOAHM bands I can tolerate, but it still does not offer true metal riffs or tasty lead riffs that were fluorishing in the 70s and 80s. It's probably fair for you to say that "I don't get it", but I have given it plenty of a try and I have tried to make myself like it, but it just seems like a thrash trainwreck to me.

Ouch! I have pretty eclectic music tastes, but even I have my limits.

Metal still sucks. It's just a bunch of repetitive noise from a bunch of poser goofs. Playing fast is not playing well. Playing loud is not playing well. And if you just want to be angry, the Punkers did it much better than the Metaldorks ever did.

To sum up - this picture sums up my view of heavy metal in a nutshell, and it basically just makes me laugh (and cover my ears)

immortal49ow1iq9va.gif

Somehow I'm not suprised.

Archived