Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*redskins All-bust Team*

GestMuddaTruckaEver

I think Pettibon is getting a raw deal here.

Besides exhaustion, family, etc., one reason Gibbs retired is because he didn't have the heart to tell a lot of men who fought their guts out for him that they were finished.

When Pettibon took over, the hogs were old and creaky. We made a good run but Pettibon would've had to completely rebuild the Redskins from the ground up.

Anyone remember a running back for us name Robert Green? they were kind of high on this kid. He had a couple of nice runs but never panned out he went to the Bears and fizzled as well.

I remember him. He went to my alma mater, Friendly HS. I wouldn't call him a bust though. I'm pretty sure he was an UFA so there were no real expectations. He was a water-bug type that never really got a real shot even though he had a pretty high career ypc.

Is it just me, but before this year Deion was one of the players who helped The SKINS get to there last playoff birth!

Deion was not a part of the 1999 Skins. He came the next year and was a major part of the most disappointing Skins team in nearly 20 years. What's more, Deion has not been a part of a team that won a playoff game since 1996 which is a full 4 years before he came to the Skins.

I have to add Chris Dishman to the list. He came in highly touted from the Oilers then did nothing opposite DG.

Why are Skip Hicks and Stephan Alexander mentioned. Was either highly touted out of college? Alexander could have been a perrenial pro-bowler if not for the injuries.

Dishman's first year with the team was pretty good. I remember a segment on FOX about him and Darrell Green, detailing how well they played despite the fact that they were both pretty old for their positions.

Timmy Smith DID beat out Kelvin Bryant.

I can remember Timmy Smith starting out the '88 season pretty well. I was still really young, and I noticed that he pretty much just disappeared. My dad told me it was because of "drugs."

Then again, any time I noticed someone wasn't around anymore my dad would tell me it was because of drugs. It was his personal drug prevention program he created for me. Damn, I thought the challenger space shuttle blew up because of drugs. I thought Michael Dukakis lost the '88 election because of drugs, and that Eddie Murray left the orioles because of drugs.... Man, that made for some embarassing later life conversations. :laugh:

I think Pettibon is getting a raw deal here.

Besides exhaustion, family, etc., one reason Gibbs retired is because he didn't have the heart to tell a lot of men who fought their guts out for him that they were finished.

When Pettibon took over, the hogs were old and creaky. We made a good run but Pettibon would've had to completely rebuild the Redskins from the ground up.

He'd already done that with Riggo and JT, both of who wanted to continue at least at the time (I think he even had to cut Riggo). It was that he didn't want to go into another rebuild program more akin to what he had in 1981 than '85 or '88.

HC: Norv Turner

QB: Heath Shuler

RB: Skip Hicks, Jaime Morris

WR: Michael Westbrook, Albert Connell, Desmond Howard

TE: Stephen Alexander

DT: Dana Stubblefield

I'm drawing blanks, but I know there are numerous other players that made me scream at the TV and throw ****.

Are you kidding me? Stephen Alexander does not deserve to be on there. All the guy did was produce. and the HC definitely deserves to be Spurrier.

To be a bust somebody must have thought you were going to be good:

Shar Pourdanesh wasn't even a draft pick. If he would have been any good, it would have been a pleasant surprise. Steven Alexander was the 18th pick in the second round- not where many HOFers are drafted. He was a productive pro that was really to small to play TE and take on LB's and DL, but everybody knew his size was an issue coming out of college. Read any of the pre- or post-draft analysis. The problem is he was overhyped by the coaches/management as being the next Novaceck. Rocky is in a similar position. Where he was drafted, if he goes on to play 5-10 as a part time starter, it will be an okay draft pick even if he has some injury issues, but he is being billed as the replacement of LaVar whom was the 2nd pick in the draft. It's just not fair.

Coach: Steve Spurrier

Quarterback: Heath Shuler

Runningback: Trung Candidate

Fullback: IDK

Wide Reciever #1: Jaquez Green

Wide Reciever #2: Michael Westbrook

Tight End:Zeron Flemister

Left Tackle: Andre Johnson

Left Guard: Tre Johnson

Center: Cory Raymer

Right Guard: David Loverne

Right Tackle: IDK

Defensive End: Kenard Lang

Defensive Tackle: IDK

Defensive Tackle: IDK

Defensive End: Daryl Gardener

Outside Linebacker: Jessie Armstead

Middle Linebacker: IDK

Outside Linebacker: IDK...Shawn Barber.

Corners: We have always had good corners...

Safety: Sam Shade

Free Safety: Keith Lyle

Kicker: Brett Conway, Jose Cortez.

Punter: Uhh...Matt Turk? Bryan Barker? Who knows...

Not to bash you, but I'm not sure how some of those guys could be considered busts. Flemister was an UDFA if I remember correctly, so the fact that he made the team and contributed for a few years means he beat the odds off the bat, so not a bust. Gardener was a heck of a DT here for a year before he decided to go for the big money. We got him off the scrap heap and he was likely our best defensively player that year, definitely not a bust. Barber was a very solid linebacker and has had a nice career, same could be said of Raymer. Finally I suppose you could say the injuries hurt Tre, but I'd hardly call our best offensively linemen during those years a bust...if he would have stayed healthy Tre would be held in very high esteem in the Skins annuals.

Santana_Fan,

Tony Banks became the starter because Jeff George was just plain awful. I would not say he was a bust. He is what he is, just another average to below average qb. He was the best of the crop, Jeff George and Kent Graham.

No, Tony Banks became the starter because Marty was convinced he could mold George, and then when Schotty realized what the rest of the NFL already knew (George wasn't a team player), we were left to go with Banks (which Dallas had dumped earlier). Considering the change happened very early in the year (I want to say George was cut after about the 2nd or 3rd game), it wasn't because he was plain awful, it was because he was an awful character.

I remember him. He went to my alma mater, Friendly HS. I wouldn't call him a bust though. I'm pretty sure he was an UFA so there were no real expectations. He was a water-bug type that never really got a real shot even though he had a pretty high career ypc.

You're right man it was going to be kind of hard for him to get the touches he wanted.. He had an unique style of running.

My All Bust Team:

Offense

QB Heath Shuler

RB Trung Canidate

RB Timmy Smith (After the Super Bowl of course)

WR Alvin Harper

WR Rod Gardner

TE

OT Andre Johnson

OG Andre Johnson

C Andre Johnson

OG Andre Johnson

OT Andre Johnson

DE Bruce Smith

DT Dana Stubblefield

DT Big Daddy

DE LaVar Arrington

LB Warwick Holdman

LB Derek Smith

LB LaVar Arrington

CB Tory Nixon

CB Deion Sanders

S Mark Carrier

S Matt Bowen

P Derrick Frost

K Max Zendejas

Coach Steve Spurrier and Norval

My All Bust Team:

Offense

QB Heath Shuler

RB Trung Canidate

RB Timmy Smith (After the Super Bowl of course)

WR Alvin Harper

WR Rod Gardner

TE

OT Andre Johnson

OG Andre Johnson

C Andre Johnson

OG Andre Johnson

OT Andre Johnson

DE Bruce Smith

DT Dana Stubblefield

DT Big Daddy

DE LaVar Arrington

LB Warwick Holdman

LB Derek Smith

LB LaVar Arrington

CB Tory Nixon

CB Deion Sanders

S Mark Carrier

S Matt Bowen

P Derrick Frost

K Max Zendejas

Coach Steve Spurrier and Norval

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HC: Steve Spurrier (or any coach really after Gibbs left)

QB: Heath Shuler, Jeff George, Patrick Ramsey (yes he was a bust for US regardless of the cirmustances)

RB:Trung Candidate, Reggie Brooks

WR:Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Taylor Jacobs,Rod Gardner, Alvin Harper, agree with every Receiver Spurrier had except for Coles.

TE:Stephen Alexander (1 pro-bowl for a second rd. pick doesn't cut it, and he was injury prone)

LB:Andre Johnson, Mike Barrow, J. Trotter

Safeties: Stanley Richards, James Washington

DL:Dana Stubblefield, Big Daddy (played well but never dominated), Sean Gilbert, Kenard Lang

Bruce Smith wasn't a bust. He gave us double digit sacks and up until his last year, he was the only one to apply pressure.

CB:Neon (wasn't the same playmaker and quit after one year)

Archived