Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Probe Finds bogus Hurricane Aid May Top $1B

rictus58

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060613200009990001&ncid=NWS00010000000001

Probe Finds Bogus Hurricane Aid May Top $1.4 Billion

FEMA Relief Funds Paid for Football Tickets, a Caribbean Vacation and a Divorce Lawyer

By LARRY MARGASAK, AP

WASHINGTON (June 14) - The government doled out as much as $1.4 billion in bogus assistance to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, getting hoodwinked to pay for season football tickets, a tropical vacation and even a divorce lawyer, congressional investigators have found.

Prison inmates, a supposed victim who used a New Orleans cemetery for a home address, and a person who spent 70 days at a Hawaiian hotel all were able to wrongly get taxpayer help, according to evidence that gives a new black eye to the nation's disaster relief agency.

click link for full article.

I guess those that thought the Debit cards were a good idea were wrong.

Its funny how everyone blames the gov't or FEMA. I'm not denying their guilt over this, but where is everyone at who thinks the recipients of the fraudulent aid should be held accountable? Lock them up for 20 years and send a message, a hard one at that. You mess with FEMA and take advantage of disaster surviivors misfortune, you better watch out! Our nation is soft on crime, and that doesn't just include the Gov't. :2cents:

Its funny how everyone blames the gov't or FEMA. I'm not denying their guilt over this, but where is everyone at who thinks the recipients of the fraudulent aid should be held accountable? Lock them up for 20 years and send a message, a hard one at that. You mess with FEMA and take advantage of disaster surviivors misfortune, you better watch out! Our nation is soft on crime, and that doesn't just include the Gov't. :2cents:

I agree. the fault of those who fraudulently acquired funds should have been addressed earlier. Now, because of this, even more $ will be spent to try to recover the $ that was lost. :doh:

I don't think were allowed to blame criminals anymore.

Well, it's also the fault of those who committed the fraud. Good faith and charity is rewarded with spit in the eye and a laugh by those accepting it.

Our government is supposed to be a reflection of ourselves, and when you see what a bunch of greedy corrupted individuals make up our whole, it's no wonder.

OK, off my soapbox.

~Bang

I would say that the criminals in this case being held accountable is a given. :whoknows:

And I don't think we're soft on crime, I think we're soft on the wrong crimes. (For instance, rapists get their dicks cut off in my government, but that's for another thread.)

Well, it's also the fault of those who committed the fraud. Good faith and charity is rewarded with spit in the eye and a laugh by those accepting it.

It is ONLY the fault of those who committed the fraud. They'll get their house back, too bad for them it's gonna be the big house.

There goes a billion of our tax dollars down the toilet and this is a prime example why raising taxes is a bad idea. If the government got serious about eliminating waste and fraud there would be no need to raise taxes. In fact, I bet you could probably cut them further.

I blame the scum who committed the fraud more than the govt. I knew there would be people like this who would take advantage of the situation. Its probably the same people who are up in arms about the govt not doing enough.

Ah I love the holier than thou attitude prevalent in this thread. I'm sure everyone posting here would take free govt. $$$ if it was that easy especially if you were poor most of your life.

Oh so its ok then. Nice attitude. And you are wrong. Only those with no morals would do such a thing.

Ah I love the holier than thou attitude prevalent in this thread. I'm sure everyone posting here would take free govt. $$$ if it was that easy especially if you were poor most of your life.

What a junk post. Thats like saying its ok to steal from charities. All youre doing is taking money from people that actually need it. :doh:

I may be wrong, but wouldnt these people have had to apply for this money.

What a junk post. Thats like saying its ok to steal from charities. All youre doing is taking money from people that actually need it. :doh:

I may be wrong, but wouldnt these people have had to apply for this money.

Yes. So they put forth effort to scam the gov't. The gov't wasn't just dropping these debit cards from a heli.

You know, we should go to ChaneyShotMe's house and steal his stuff. We can claim it's ok because we're poor. He'll understand I'm sure.

This si what is wrong with society today. These people committed crimes by fraudulently taking tax dollars from people who needed them. And the govt is going to get blamed for it in the long run. Something terrible happens that the state should have taken the lead in responding to but doesn't so the govt looks like it doesn't "care" about the people affected. The govt then goes too far in trying to provide relief and is taken advantage of by thousands who bilk a BILLION dollars from the govt. Yet these people were just "accepting" govt money. Every single person that fraudulently applied for and reeived money should serve jail time and be forced to repay every penny. And Kanye West should be forced to make a national appearance on NBC on behalf of all those who slammed the govt and issue an apology....

:2cents:

Archived