Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Soccer be #1 in USA?

skinfan2k

Just listening to a segment done by COmcast sportsnet about how many feel soccer could be #1.. Many americans do not know when world cup arrives and goes.. Most cant name the past champ.

Steve Czaban came on to give his opinon and mention how soccer wont be popular because its not as popular in the colleges and that americans have many other sports that they can watch.. Soccer is simply low scoring and similar to hockey... Freddy Adu and Sasho Veokovic(umd soccer coach) disagree and beleive that soccer will be #1 soon

More soccer fields are appearing, but i will always think americans will favor sports such as basketball and football over sports like soccer and hockey.. What are your opinoons?

No. We are a sound bite instant gratification nation. The US takes it's action in easily digestable bits and networks want comercial time. Not to mention too many sports fans these days equate scoring to interesting, and aren't even able to enjoy a defensive contest in the 5 second per play made for TV world of american football.

Some think it's because soccer is boring, yet golf has it's own channel.

interesting.. but nascar.. i have always thought of that a southern sport.. mainly as a redneck sport.. might be a little too harsh

Funny I've always just written it off as a race 400 miles longer then my interest is willing to reach. If I want to watch people trying to take off the wheels as fast as they can I'll watch COPS.

Even if we won the World Cup I don't think it'd matter that much in the long haul. Remember when the women's team won the World Cup in 99? It was all over the place, how people were saying this could be the jump start of soccer becoming much bigger in the mainstream. Now getting back to it 7 years later, more little kids are interested in playing soccer after school for a couple hours, but it certainly ain't in the league of pro basketball, baseball, or football- not even near the college versions of those sports. Personally, I think Americans just prefer a sport that's our own, like basketball, baseball, or football rather than a foreign sport being brought here. Americans love sports though, so soccer and hockey will always have a place, it just won't be near #1, anyone who thinks that is delusional.

To play devil's advocate to my own opinion however, if the current projections of Hispanic population increase are correct, than maybe soccer will become more and more wildly popular a few decades from now.

To play devil's advocate to my own opinion however, if the current projections of Hispanic population increase are correct, than maybe soccer will become more and more wildly popular a few decades from now.

there will always be more whites and blacks who wish to play football..

As long as fathers are teaching their kids to play Baseball, and Football(american), and Basketball for leagues instead of soccer then it will never be #1.

There are just too many sports in this country that are viewed as better by the people in this country that are so influential in the children of this society's decisions

Its mothers that get their kids involved in Soccer more than fathers, so I guess theoretically with more single mothers out there it could get much much more popular but who knows...

I don't think it will in part because it is hard for a sport to gain a strong foothold in a country where there are so many other sports that are so big...

Not to mention that there is a serious paradox, we aren't gonna get the best athleates in the country to play soccer untill it becomes wildly popular but I don't think it will become all that popular untill we can field a team capable of winning the World Cup, which requires the best athleates in the country.... its a hard Circle and somewhere something has to happen first in order to start the Circle going...

I have no problem with the sport, I much prefer it to Basketball, but not to Football, Baseball, or even Hockey. so take that for what its worth.

Pele came to the US in a new league and nothing happened. The World Cup(whatever it's called) came to the US several years ago...it never caught on. The US women's team won it all...we all forgot about that a few months later. Like another brought up soccer field cover the US but when kids get older they the overwhelming majority quit playing and when they do they also quit watching. In fact many young kids I know that play have no interest in watching it on TV. America is a WAY different culture than that of Europe.

Soccer is boring?? yeah ok, if you don't understand the game you might think its boring, but personally baseball is freaking way more boring then football (sorry, its football not soccer).

If a sport doesn't stop every few minutes, I think the general American public automatically dislikes it for whatever reason. I would be pick football (soccer) over baseball any freakin day of the year

I dunno most hispanicos seem to be just as big football fans as soccer... This is all personal experience... But did you see how many mexicans showed up to watch the cardinals pay the 49ers?!?! Seriously, it was the CARDINALS and the 49ERS!!!!

This is my theory on Soccor, why it's not popular in the US and why it's so popular in the rest of the world.

Soccor is the most popular sport in the world because soooooo many kids grew up playing it.

Unlike baseball, football, hockey, and basketball, you don't need anything but a ball to play.

No goal rims like in Basketball, no hard courts either.

No gloves and bats like in baseball.

So basicly, it's a cheap sport to play when compared to the other sports.

And it's a lot safer than football, hockey, and even basketball.

So the combination of it being cheaper, and safer makes it more popular with kids and especially parents.

Now the reason why it's not so popular in the US, even thou millions play it is simple.

It simply doesn't hold a candle to some of these other sports as far as being entertaining.

You don't have 350 monsters in soccor.

You don't have 7'7 giants in soccor.

You don't have steroid pumping freaks like in baseball. Just kidding.

I don't think Soccor even has a chance to be #1.

Soccer is boring?? yeah ok, if you don't understand the game you might think its boring, but personally baseball is freaking way more boring then football (sorry, its football not soccer).

If a sport doesn't stop every few minutes, I think the general American public automatically dislikes it for whatever reason. I would be pick football (soccer) over baseball any freakin day of the year

I think only extreme down syndrome people don't understand soccor.

If you're going to manipulate I suggest you think about what you're going to say.

Baseball can be extremely boring at times, but this thread isn't about baseball it's about wether or not soccor has a chance to be #1 in the US.

Trends change ... only a few decades ago boxing and horse racing were among the most popular, and pro-football was not a top spectator sport. Only a few years ago NASCAR not on the radar for most sports fans.

Soccer leagues are becoming the largest adult participation sports as well as for kids. MLS continues to grow and develop a heritage, but it will take some serious corporate sponsors to get behind the game as well as having people in MLS who actually are passionate about the game. It seems the current management are more focused on franchise rather than developing a real passionate fan base and heritage for the game here ... as shown by some of their marketing deals.

It will be tough to ovecome the marketing power of the NFL, NASCAR and NBA but in a few decades it could happen.

I think soccer will keep becoming more popular, but will it ever be #1? I doubt it.

...but nobody thought NASCAR would ever be as popular as it is now, and NASCAR really had the same problems that soccer had: no real highlight reel moments (except crashes - but real fans aren't watching for crashes, are they?) and long continuous play without commercial breaks. There's also no scoring in NASCAR really until the very end ... if NASCAR can make it, then I think soccer can too.

I'm a kid that grew up playing soccer, and it was definitely pretty popular at U.Va. - ACC Soccer is pretty big.

The MLS has managed to survive for 10 years now and attendance is still growing, which is more than can be said for women's basketball or even hockey.

There's nothing fundamental about Americans and soccer that would prevent us from liking soccer... if we can export basketball to Europe and Asia, there's no reason soccer can't catch on here.

...but number one? I really don't see that happenning.

Freddy Adu and Sasho Veokovic are flat out wrong. Soccer will never be popular in the states so long as the NFL is around.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Soccer can be popular at the same time as the NFL. What clearly needs to be bumped off is baseball - at least until they stop making the managers wear the team uniform.

interesting.. but nascar.. i have always thought of that a southern sport.. mainly as a redneck sport.. might be a little too harsh

I don't like NASCAR. I cannot stand to watch cars go around a track for hours. I'm just stating facts here.

From Forbes.com:

Indeed, according to Nielsen ratings, NASCAR is second only to the NFL in sports viewership. So far this year, NASCAR's 5.8 average rating has beaten the NBA's regular season and playoffs; the NCAA tournament; PGA golf; and the NHL's regular season, playoffs and Stanley Cup finals.

I don't care how popular it gets, I won't watch soccor.

As much as I love football, I don't watch college football.

Not only are you competing with more exciting sports, you're competing with hollywood, and mainstream tv.

There's only so much tv to go around.

Archived