Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patten to Bears??

chronicdesi

Hey I just just flipping through ESPN.com and came across this little blurb. Unfortunately I don't have insider access, but the rumor mill is stating that Patten may get cut and go to the Bears. After last year's injury to the WR corp, wouldn't you think we would love this depth? Or is DP just dead weight, and do we want to bring in a bigger, younger reciever?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffeatures%2frumors

Theres been rumors we will cut him ever since we signed RE and Lloyd. The main thrust behind the rumor is that Patten is counting about 1.2M against the cap this year, and thats too much for a #4 receiver.

What everyone forgets though, is that snyder wipes his bum with $100 bills, so 1.2M is perfectly reasonable to spend on a #4 receiver. Money is no object to our owner. Patten gives us GREAT insurance. If one of our receivers gets hurt, Patten should be able to step in and our offense won't have to adjust too much.

I take Gibbs’ word over ESPN. This past weekend, the post featured an article about Patten. In the article Patten said he was assured by team officials that the best player will play. Those aren't statements you make to a guy your definitely going to cut. Also, Gibbs and Co. would have released Patten already IMHO to give him a shot at another team. This regime isn't known for stonewalling players. If Patten gets cut later in camp, it'll be because the team doesn't think he can contribute to the scheme. It won't be because of his salary.

This is what ESPN said for those who can't get to the link.

Patten a possibility for Bears

<Jun. 5> If Patten is released by the Redskins as expected, the Bears might consider signing the veteran receiver to a one-year contract, according to Pro Football Weekly.

The diminuitive Patten is a speed receiver with experience. However, Chicago might first give unproven wideouts Bernard Berrian, Justin Gage, Mark Bradley, Airese Currie and Rashied Davis a chance to show they can get the job done. Another option could be Az-Zahir Hakim because he's a more natural fit in the slot.

Well given our history of getting rid of players too soon, I would not be surprised. But I agree that $1 million is not too much to pay for quality depth. But if the Bears are willing to negotiate for him, then I say we at least see what they are offering. :2cents:

we need the depth . . . why are people so fascianted with defininig the "#1, #2, #3 and #4 recievers"?

I undertsand that ther eis a depth chart, but IMO if there are 2 or 3 players with the somewhat ame physical ability to play a position, and they are all being used and interspersed throughout the offense why are we getting so cuaght up in the actual number of reciever he is for our team?

The way I see it, and the way I think the players view it too . . . is that they want to contribute to the teams' success, they want to get on the filed and they want to be a part of the offense. Once the game starts the depoth chart numbers go out the window. The whole object of Saunders offense is to diversify and spread the ball so the defense doesn;t know where it is going. It is not too much to think that ARE will be giving punt return and kick-off duties . . . and who really knows how Lloyd will develop, he could just as easily be a situational red zone reciever.

Patten isn't going anywhere, and as long as he has the ability to be one of the 5 best recievers on our team he will be in DC next year. I'm just as excited about ARE and Lloyd, but let';s not act like we've already won the division and are set with HOF recievers. Anything can happen . . . and I will be applauding Gibb's and Co. should the need arise to thrust Patten into one of the top 2 receiver slots. Never can have too much depth or experience!

Well given our history of getting rid of players too soon, I would not be surprised. But I agree that $1 million is not too much to pay for quality depth. But if the Bears are willing to negotiate for him, then I say we at least see what they are offering. :2cents:

Look... I love to think patten is great and can still contribute, but don't put this in the catagory of Keenan McCardell and Stan Humphries. Patten has maybe 1 or 2 years of mediocre productivity left. That is if he doesn't wear down. Guys like TO who are at the top of there game at 33 are WAY in the minority.

If Mike Espy, or Derrick Fenner or Ron Johnson or any of those young 22 year old recievers are looking good Patten getting cut is more than likely HIS idea. Remember, we signed him last year because that is all that was out there. I don't think Gibbs planned on losing Gardner and there just wasn't a lot of talent at WR last year. We don't go and sign not one, but TWO recievers under 25 to starter's money because we think Patten is the future of the redskins.

i would love to keep patten as well, but i do see him getting cut/traded...your number 3 and 4 receivers need to be valuable contributors on special teams and i dont think i remember patten ever playing teams....similar to why mccants was never on the game day rostor in gibbs' first year, he didnt play special teams...

What everyone forgets though, is that snyder wipes his bum with $100 bills, so 1.2M is perfectly reasonable to spend on a #4 receiver. Money is no object to our owner.

it's not actual cash people would worry about. it's the monopoly money (salary cap space) that would lead to him getting pink slipped.

Patten gives us GREAT insurance. If one of our receivers gets hurt, Patten should be able to step in and our offense won't have to adjust too much.

agreed.

I really dont see an incredible drop off from patten to thrash...yeah patten is a little better then thrash as a receiver, but thrash is arugubly or best special teams player....and overall a good team player that does whatever the team asks of him...personally i would much rather keep thrash then patten....

Taylor Jacobs has to be phoenominal in camp to beat out Patten in a job in my opinion.. We've invested a lot of time on him with zero results.. Jacob's only saving grace is special teams and that "might" be just enough

One thing's for sure, - if we were to cut/trade him and he went to the Bears, he'd suddenly be considered a marque receiver.:laugh:

I personally would like to see him stay. - Being able to rotate WR's during the game would wear defenses DB's down nicely by the 2nd half.

In the article Patten said he was assured by team officials that the best player will play. Those aren't statements you make to a guy your definitely going to cut. .

That doesn't say David Patten will play, it says the best player. Maybe he doesn't comeback from injury well and he's NOT the best player.

Archived