Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patten to Bears??

chronicdesi

He isn't going nowhere. Coach Joe Gibbs said when he came back that he was looking for "True Redskins". A core group of players that want to be Redskins. That is David Patten, a quality player on and off the field. He will provide leadership and he is a Coach Gibbs kind of player.

Hey I just just flipping through ESPN.com and came across this little blurb. Unfortunately I don't have insider access, but the rumor mill is stating that Patten may get cut and go to the Bears. After last year's injury to the WR corp, wouldn't you think we would love this depth? Or is DP just dead weight, and do we want to bring in a bigger, younger reciever?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffeatures%2frumors

There may be a lot of validity to this story because I see the Skins tansitioning towards youth in an attempt to "upgrade the roster". There's no doubt that Patten is a "proven player" and also one with a lot of experience. To me, it narrows down to "what have you done for me lately"?

Theres been rumors we will cut him ever since we signed RE and Lloyd. The main thrust behind the rumor is that Patten is counting about 1.2M against the cap this year, and thats too much for a #4 receiver.

What everyone forgets though, is that snyder wipes his bum with $100 bills, so 1.2M is perfectly reasonable to spend on a #4 receiver. Money is no object to our owner. Patten gives us GREAT insurance. If one of our receivers gets hurt, Patten should be able to step in and our offense won't have to adjust too much.

I have a question for you. Do you think Patten is going to be the #4 receiver automatically?

Has anyone discussed David Patton's phantom year-ending injury last year? From his own admission, he could have been ready to go in 3-4 weeks. Given our depth at WR - Taylor "I think I'm going to be sick" Jacobs and James "Did you say clutch or crutch?" Thrash, I would have thought we would keep him around. Perhaps David was McCants-inized for his lack of special team play?

I an tired of the BS rumors about Patten. It seems that our fans have a HO to see this talented player cut. Patten is a valuable part of this team, and NO WAY will he be cut, unless he just plain falls apart in the pre season.

This is one position we need depth at, with Saunders running the offense. Patten was one hell of a receiver with New England, he only had one injured year here at Washington, and it seems a lot of our fans want to see him booted.

I can tell those of you who wish to see him leave, you haven't done your homework on this guy. He was a dynamic receiver in New England, with SuperBowl experience, and we want to cut him?

Give him a chance to redeem himself. He will impress us this season, I guarantee anyone that, barring injury of course. So put away the axe guys it ain't happening.

I take Gibbs’ word over ESPN. This past weekend, the post featured an article about Patten. In the article Patten said he was assured by team officials that the best player will play. Those aren't statements you make to a guy your definitely going to cut. Also, Gibbs and Co. would have released Patten already IMHO to give him a shot at another team. This regime isn't known for stonewalling players. If Patten gets cut later in camp, it'll be because the team doesn't think he can contribute to the scheme. It won't be because of his salary.

Good post - it's a good point about cutting Patten early rather than late to give him a chance to go elsewhere. This coaching staff seems to consider the players' best interest as well as the team's. I am tired of the weekly "where will Patten go" game, just like I got tired of the "will Brett Favre play this year or not" soap opera. I expect Patten to be on the field for the Redskins Sept 11 vs. Minnesota.

I an tired of the BS rumors about Patten. It seems that our fans have a HO to see this talented player cut. Patten is a valuable part of this team, and NO WAY will he be cut, unless he just plain falls apart in the pre season.

This is one position we need depth at, with Saunders running the offense. Patten was one hell of a receiver with New England, he only had one injured year here at Washington, and it seems a lot of our fans want to see him booted.

I can tell those of you who wish to see him leave, you haven't done your homework on this guy. He was a dynamic receiver in New England, with SuperBowl experience, and we want to cut him?

Give him a chance to redeem himself. He will impress us this season, I guarantee anyone that, barring injury of course. So put away the axe guys it ain't happening.

Another nice post - there should be no rush to move Patten because he will be an effective receiver for us alongside Moss, Randle El, and Lloyd. The Patriots (with Patten) and the Chiefs (with Saunders) got it done by spreading the ball around, and I expect more of the same with the Redskins in 2006.

i can only see this happening if we do it in order to free up cap space then sign another CB. We're a little thin at that position- Springs is still solid and Rogers will only improve, but after them it's Ade Jimoh. If Springs or Rogers goes down, we're in deep trouble. I was a little surprised that we didn't get a CB in free agency or the draft, so if we get a FA between now and the preseason, we'll have a bit of depth there. Just my $0.02.

i can only see this happening if we do it in order to free up cap space then sign another CB. We're a little thin at that position- Springs is still solid and Rogers will only improve, but after them it's Ade Jimoh. If Springs or Rogers goes down, we're in deep trouble. I was a little surprised that we didn't get a CB in free agency or the draft, so if we get a FA between now and the preseason, we'll have a bit of depth there. Just my $0.02.

we signed Kenny Wright, who was the #2 CB with Jacksonville last year and still have the 2 young guys, - Patterson and Morton - for PS depth.

and James "Did you say clutch or crutch?" Thrash, I would have thought we would keep him around.

uh, Thrash in younger than Patten.

I agree with you guys and feel DP is going to be good in Saunder's system with the 4 reciever spreads. His route running was good from what I saw early in the season. Hopefully he won't get injured again. A lot of people were focusing on LA's injury last year, so the coverage on what happened to DP was dead...

I really dont see an incredible drop off from patten to thrash...yeah patten is a little better then thrash as a receiver, but thrash is arugubly or best special teams player....and overall a good team player that does whatever the team asks of him...personally i would much rather keep thrash then patten....

I agree with you. I like also on 3rd downs how Thrash always finds the 1st down marker. I remember people complaining last season about Thrash on punt returns. I actually felt more comfortable with him back there. True Antonio Brown is faster but he Brown scared me everytime a crowd came near. Thrash was and is solid on Special Teams. He provides adequate depth at WR also.

I'm just not sold on Patten like everyone else. He's have to prove me wrong. he couldn't get consistent separation to me.

I still say this is a BS rumor and Patten will have a good year coming back from injury mainly due to articles like this and fans saying that he's a #4 at best and we need to trade him. Patten will have a huge chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong and I'm looking forward to it. :silly:

Archived