Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Secondary...will be stellar.

freakofthesouth

it amazing how much the trash that Gibbs has got rid of

Isnt it? When I think of the teams Dallas has fielded in the last 8 years, it's pathetic as to what we passed of as a roster.

You guys should have a good secondary. Springs is still solid, though his age is getting up there. AA is a real good player, but I see it like you guys have 2 SS almost. But it worked for Dallas with Woodson and Williams. Rogers showed some flashes last year, and he better be ready this year, because he's the guy teams are coming after.

I have a question on Rogers....He played decently for a rookie last year and showd some promise but seemed a little shaky for the most part and didn't play up to the speed I anticipated after the combine workout....Was some of his speed negated last season due to the ankle injury? For anyone here who has had access to OTA's or any articles about it has he looked more explosize? Being that he was the 9th pick and a plyer like Merrimam went after him, I think its important for this pick to work out for us.

personally, I dont think he played that slow last year(well, towards the end of the year at least) He played great over the last 1/3 of the season for us. He will only improve for us over the offseason, and by next season, I think that we should have a pretty damn good duo of springs and rodgers.

We have great starters, I just don't think out depth is that good. Especially considering Springs prior injuries.

I think our depth should be fine. Kenny Wright started all 16 games last year, which tells you two things, 1) hes tough 2) hes pretty damn good

If i remember correctly, he around 90 tackles last year? which is pretty high for a DB.

If springs goes down with injury, I would have no concerns about Wright going in to replace him. The only thing that might worry me at that point is jimoh going in as the nickel, but even then, he might be able to do O.K.

Thank God Walt Harris is out of the picture. Every time you saw a big play on us last year, Harris invariably screwed up somewhere, either by getting burned or blowing an easy tackle.

I was in old Soldier Field when Walt played for the Bears, and I will never forget this large, older lady sitting behind me who spent the ENTIRE game screaming about how horrible Walt Harris was. Anytime the opposing team (Vikings, I think) did something halfway decent she just automatically screamed it was Walt Harris' fault. It was annoying, but funny now that I think back on it.

I guess she had him figured out in 2001!

All four first round picks.....I know two are top ten and it could be 3 i cant remember where springs was drafted but im pretty sure it was top ten. Either way, four first rounders in the secondary is sweet.

8 out of 11 of our defensive starters next year will be first or second round picks (assuming Rocky wins the job) and only 3 of those 8 were originally drafted by the Skins. That shows just what a great strategy it is to wait for free agency. And the best part is those three players (ST, Rogers and Rocky) were all drafted during Gibb's second stint here.

And the offense isn't far behind: 7 offensive starters are first or second round picks, and we only drafted 2 of them (Samuels and Jansen). This just proves it-- The Redskins have 31 farm teams and we don't need more draft picks, we have everyone else's!

All four first round picks.....I know two are top ten and it could be 3 i cant remember where springs was drafted but im pretty sure it was top ten. Either way, four first rounders in the secondary is sweet.

Springs was the 3rd pick in the draft and he still has it!

And We still have the ever improving Ade Jimoh :D

Well I thought Jimoh finally started to "get it" late last season, maybe he's a slow learner? :laugh: Many (including myself) have wondered WTF he was doing here but he must show the coaches something. He does seem awfully lively on special teams.

The big thing is time, can the secondary hold onto the players going out into the pattern long enough to let the D line get in there. We'll see but I'm thinking a tentative yes right now. It's that chess match aspect of the game, if the secondary can stay on top of their guys the D line and LBs get the pressure for sacks, tackles behind the line, etc. Some of that and the quick balls start coming and the DBs get the shot at some picks. One or two good ones and the opposition is back to holding it longer, choose your poison. That is one thing that simply HAS TO HAPPEN, we dropped sooo many balls last year it was just sad. The secondary has to inspire some trepidation in the enemy's heart.

I'm a little disappointed to see Rogers getting so little credit, the kid played well last year, damn good for a rook, and will only be better this time around.

i wouldnt say stellar.....good yes...but the corners are still a bit of some concern

I agree.

Springs, aint no spring chicken. Even at his current best, he's still only the 4th or 5th best CB in NFC-East.

Rogers, hasn't shown he can be anything more than adequate, at best. He may turn into a great CB, or he may get punked all year.

I do like the Kenny Wright signing, for depth purposes.

IMO, Archuletta is only a slightly above average starter at SS. Greg Williams will make him a better blitzer, but he'll probably always have the same flaws, when it comes to reading and reacting in coverage.

Arch had Lovie Smith (most years) he was in St.Louis, I doubt there's much Williams could teach Adam, that Lovie hasn't already tried.

Even if all these players play to their potential, the Skins are still fighting with the Giants for 3rd and 4th best secondary in the NFCE.

:2cents:

I agree.

Springs, aint no spring chicken. Even at his current best, he's still only the 4th or 5th best CB in NFC-East.

Rogers, hasn't shown he can be anything more than adequate, at best. He may turn into a great CB, or he may get punked all year.

I do like the Kenny Wright signing, for depth purposes.

IMO, Archuletta is only a slightly above average starter at SS. Greg Williams will make him a better blitzer, but he'll probably always have the same flaws, when it comes to reading and reacting in coverage.

Arch had Lovie Smith (most years) he was in St.Louis, I doubt there's much Williams could teach Adam, that Lovie hasn't already tried.

Even if all these players play to their potential, the Skins are still fighting with the Giants for 3rd and 4th best secondary in the NFCE.

:2cents:

Disagree a lot here.

Springs may be over thirty, but he's still a bona fide #1 CB. He often plays through pain and is a very tough matchup for any top WR in the league. And Rogers is much more than adequate as a #2 guy, he played really well there last year when he was finally implemented as the starter and should look to improve. Both those guys are more than solid enough.

Plus, they have Taylor playing behind them who should take another leap forward this year. He already elminates the deep ball and many over the middle throws and makes both our CBs better when providing help. There's nothing I can say about him that hasn't already been said, he's not the best in the league but he can be very soon and teams simply avoid him like the plague.

And I really don't understand why Cowboys fans keep harping on Archuleta's limitations in coverage while putting Roy Williams at God-like status at safety. Archuleta will be used in the same way, as an attacking, downhill, in the box presence whose limitations will be masked. And the point about Lovie Smith makes absolutely no sense. Gregg Williams can't teach Archuleta anything that Lovie already hasn't tried? Um, Lovie hasn't coached Archuleta for years and he was being used out of position in his absence. He's a perfect fit for this system. That reasoning is pretty silly and beyond a reach.

All four of our secondary guys can also hit hard, play the run, and rush the quarterback as well. And Kenny Wright started 16 games for a 12 win team last year and he's our nickel back.

The Skins finished with the top defensive secondary in the NFC East last year and upgraded their talent by replacing Harris with Carlos full time and bringing in Arch. Dallas hasn't done anything except tab a fifth round pick to be the answer at FS. Philly blamed all their secondary problems on their pass rush, maybe that's correct but they were too far below the Skins last year, even before Lito got hurt, for me to place them above Washington right now. And the Giants have some new corners but their secondary is still the weakest to me.

Bottom line though is our secondary was the best in the division last year and we did as much as anyone to improve ourselves. Maybe the Giants CB additions did a bit more to improve their overall unit but we were already far beyond them as a secondary to begin with. Barring a major injury, I'm confident that we're still the best back there.

Adam Archuletta could be a victim of trying to do to much because he didn't trust his defensive teammates enough. If he always had to cheat or guess just a little to try to cover some of the Ram's defensive deficiencies that alone could put him out of position. Safties are the last line of defense and need to support both the run and pass on pretty much every play. Is his poor coverage, a matter of having had a poor secondary and poor rush defense? I think some of his coverage or angle problems may have more to do with indecision because he had to do too much to cover for a poor Rams D. With a better supporting cast, I'm hoping some of those problems disappear.

The pressure on the QB's should help our DBs to pick off more balls as well. Lets remember that the last few years, we didn't have much of a rush from the front four till the end of the season. Before we got the rush going, the blitz forced single coverage. Once we got that rush going, we started getting a lot of turnovers, with more help over the top. With the addition of Carter, I believe our DBs are going to have much more opportunity.

After seeing how aggressively we went after Arch I am definitely excited to see what G. Williams schemes up for him on Sundays. I remember that at the beginning of the season 2 years ago Bowen was a blitzing machine b4 he got hurt.

To the toon of 6 sacks that year before he got injured =) Yet some people will tell you he sucked. That simply isn't true

Thats one of the concerns I have about him. Did you see somewhere in writing that he was 100% healed? I worry a little bit that we are getting Laveranues Coles Part II.

I only saw that Gibbs's medical staff was okay with him and said he was healed. Apparently he played when he shouldn't have at the Rams, but he is some freak of a competitor. I did see somewhere that 1) they thought he was fine 2) they were okay with his freaky work out and didn't think it was the reason for the other injury.

Guess we will find out. :fingersx:

I have a question on Rogers....He played decently for a rookie last year and showd some promise but seemed a little shaky for the most part and didn't play up to the speed I anticipated after the combine workout....Was some of his speed negated last season due to the ankle injury? For anyone here who has had access to OTA's or any articles about it has he looked more explosize? Being that he was the 9th pick and a plyer like Merrimam went after him, I think its important for this pick to work out for us.

????

He played fast as hell in my view. WAY faster than the 4.43 he ran (kinda slow for a top ten pick corner). I never saw him get burned and he was always showing off a sick vertical.

Do you remember any particular play(s)?

edit: Before you respond realize this - He had a small fracture in his ankle at the combine, which he didn't report, and almost got fined by the redskins for it (seeing as they don't take to kindly to drafting guys with broken ankles in the top 10). This was why his time was a little slow and why he was SO out of shape in that first preseason game against the bengals (first one he was healthy to play in). Remember he got burned on the 2nd of two fly routes?

After he got in shape though, I thought he was MEGA fast, way faster than Rolle and at least as fast as Pac Man jones. Dude was covering guys like Moss and T-glenn without getting burned often.

Then again... I think it is REAL hard to judge our corners, seeing as they play with Sean(taylor), he just changes everything. Dude shuts down Randy, TO, Torry Holt etc. on the REGULAR tip.

• 5 months later...

Archived