Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scott Engel discusses Portis in ESPN Fantasy Chat

macnoke03

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11840

Keith (Grand Rapids): Do you take Portis or LJ? I know Portis is going to be great this year and LJ doesn't have the suprise factor anymore.

sn2.gifScott Engel: (10:25 AM ET ) No comparison - I take Johnson - even if defenses know he is coming they can't stop him - when Priest was hurt,e veryone knew he was coming and stillc ouldn't stop him. He's much better than just a "surprise" RB.

Chris (Baltimore): With Al Saunders running the offense, will Portis' TDs go up enough to make him a legit top 10 choice?

sn2.gifScott Engel: (10:30 AM ET ) He already is top five - I think his numbers will be similar to last year, with more consistency on a week to week basis.

Scenario: you've got the 3rd pick of your fantasy draft. LJ and LT were both taken. You've got both Portis and Shaun "i'm soft but i play in the weakest division in football" Alexander both available. Who'd you take then? And would it be hard for you?

Soft division or not, Shaun doesn't have that monster left-side of the line anymore.

Scenario: you've got the 3rd pick of your fantasy draft. LJ and LT were both taken. You've got both Portis and Shaun "i'm soft but i play in the weakest division in football" Alexander both available. Who'd you take then? And would it be hard for you?

I'm in that exact predicament with the third pick. I think LJ and Alexander will be gone though.

I'm struggling with the choice of LT or CP. My heart tells me CP could be MVP this year, but my head tells me LT is the best back since Barry Sanders. Plus he's gonna get the ball a ton, since Rivers is the QB. Heart will probably win.

Yes, it would be hard-but you take Alexander. If for nothing else b/c nobody on Seattle vultures his TD's inside the 10. Portis lost at least 6 TD's last year due to that bootleg we ran for Sellers or another TE/FB...

Hutchinson's loss won't be felt too much-Seattle has some decent replacements and even signed New England's Ashworth for help. Walter Jones is still the best in the league-and Alexander will still put up #'s.

I would tend to be a homer in this situation and take Portis, though Tiki Baraber would be a very tempting pick. I think Tiki hit his peak last year though so scratch him off the list, plus he's a giant.

I was a homer and picked the redksins defense in 04, GW's first year as coordinator. I took them in the 4th round and eveyone in my league laughed me out of the room. But I wanted to be able to root for my team; more than just one person, and i didn;t want anyone else to pick them.

Let's just say between the Redskins defense and Peyton Manning's record breaking year . . I won the SB in my first year.

Last year i took the skins defense again, and it hurt me during the middle of the year when we were going through injuries.

On one hand I'd be hesitant to take CP because of how many weapons we have on offense now, and knowing LT is the main focus of SD's offense. But on the other hand injuires are hard to predict. IMO, right now, either one would be a good pick.

I had the #2 overall pick in a keeper league a couple of years ago, #1 was Holmes and LT was there for me. I went with Portis. Yes, at #2. Needless to say, even in a money fantasy league I let my homerism cost me some wins.

For instance, I've never had a Cowboy on the team. Never will.

I only start players playing against the Redskins if I have no other options on the bench.

I always grab available borderline fantasy Redskins to fill out my roster.

I can be chalked up for a loss during Redskins bye week every season due to the inactivity of my roster that week.

But, I still pay my money and play every year. I'm sure the rest of the guys in my league are happy about that.

Portis, if healthy all year, will have 1,800 yards and 17 rushing touchdowns. This offense will be able to create mismatches in a way few teams will be able to man up against very well given the depth of capable receivers we have. We can go power or speed in a way no team in the league has the option. Portis will be able to really get space this year given the outside weapons. It should be fun.

Portis, if healthy all year, will have 1,800 yards and 17 rushing touchdowns. This offense will be able to create mismatches in a way few teams will be able to man up against very well given the depth of capable receivers we have. We can go power or speed in a way no team in the league has the option. Portis will be able to really get space this year given the outside weapons. It should be fun.

I'd add that the line needs to stay healthy also. Even the great KC line had the offense spinning its wheels when they were injured last year.

Between Portis or Shaun I've gotta go with Portis. Not for any homer reasons, since I don't really use homerism in fantasy except for using defenses (never a defense that's playing the Skins that week) and never picking any Cowboys, instead I'll just hope that the Skins win the game while whatever player on my team scores a touchdown or two for his team in the loss. But Portis should (with health on his and the o-line's side) really bust out next year with huge numbers, and some might call me crazy but I'm a little wary of the Madden curse, not to mention the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl, so that's two bad luck strikes against Alexander for me. I don't think I'd pick Portis over LT or LJ though.

If you get a top 4 pick in next year's fantasy draft your guranteed a great RB. I think Portis will have his best season ever under Saunders and it's a toss up between him and Alexander. Alexander is a lock for 15+ TDs, but how good will he be now that Hutchinson is gone?

You couldn't have made the decision easier. I would have to go with Alexander, just from a fantasy standpoint. He'll get more TDs and that is what most fantasy leagues value most. I think Portis is the better runningback, just not fantasy wise.

Between Portis or Shaun I've gotta go with Portis. Not for any homer reasons, since I don't really use homerism in fantasy except for using defenses (never a defense that's playing the Skins that week) and never picking any Cowboys, instead I'll just hope that the Skins win the game while whatever player on my team scores a touchdown or two for his team in the loss. But Portis should (with health on his and the o-line's side) really bust out next year with huge numbers, and some might call me crazy but I'm a little wary of the Madden curse, not to mention the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl, so that's two bad luck strikes against Alexander for me. I don't think I'd pick Portis over LT or LJ though.

Wasn't Alexander the clear leader in points last year?

That's great, but Alexander had 1880 yards and 27 TD's last season. I think people miss this in fantasy football too much. Just because Portis could be great, doesn't mean he will be better than Alexander. Therefore, Portis is no higher than the 4th pick of any fantasy draft. Unless it is the ExtremeSkins draft where homerism is drives the car while brains watch movies in the backseat.

Wasn't Alexander the clear leader in points last year?
Yeah, he blew up with all the touchdowns and yardage he was putting up, but like I said, for next season I'm too wary of the Madden/Super Bowl losing curses to put a high draft pick on him when I can get similiar value out of LJ (who would have EASILY surpassed Alexander if he had started the entire season, I mean good Lord look at his numbers), LT (who will get a lot of carries with Rivers starting), or Portis. I'm just too superstitious about it.

I'm sorry, but I still take CP. Not because LJ isn't as good, but because I think the surprise factor really does make a difference. I just don't think KC's passing game will be enough to stop people from stacking the box against LJ.

That makes no sense. Priest Holmes ripped up the league for the past couple of years. Then LJ comes in last seasons and shreds every defense he sees. What kind of "surprise" was he? They ran the exact same plays as they had run for the past few seasons, they had the same personel as the past few seasons. What makes you think that the "surprise" was the reason that he killed everybody... all season long?

That makes no sense. Priest Holmes ripped up the league for the past couple of years. Then LJ comes in last seasons and shreds every defense he sees. What kind of "surprise" was he? They ran the exact same plays as they had run for the past few seasons, they had the same personel as the past few seasons. What makes you think that the "surprise" was the reason that he killed everybody... all season long?

I think the surprise factor is gone. Al "Surprise" Saunders who coached Larry Johnson into the next Priest Holmes who was, in fact, the next Marshall Faulk!!!!

SURPRISE!!!!!!!

I always try to get division rivals on my team, as well as guys playing against the Skins?

Why?

The way I see it it's a win win situation.

If the Skins D dominates, they most likely win and I can live with my fantasy team taking a hit.

If the Skins D struggles and/or lose I at least did well in fantasy.

Archived