Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Cornerback and Saftey Ever

CrypticVillain

We all know that #28 (he is so good we all know him by number), is the best Redskins Corner Back ever. But is there any other person all- time that is better? Before you try to prove me wrong let me plead my case. I heard Jerry Rice say several times that Green was hard to play against. And we all know in 98 when Randy Moss was on that rampage who put the clamps on him. In my book those are the top 2 WR ever, and they are both different styles. That just proves how good Green was. Now somebody prove me wrong

In all honesty it is hard for us all to have an unbiased opinion about "ten speed".

He DID go against the opposing team's TOP receiver for over 12 years until he started to go back on the deppth chart near the end of his career.

He had some memeorable punt returns, the most noteable in Chicago in the 87-88 playoffs but I don't think you can compare him to the liks of Dieone Sanders in returning kicks.

DG wasn't a big hitter...although he didn't have to be.

I was arguably the best "cover corner"...especially given his small size.

But he wass also a quiet, low profile player in a time where many players put on their "flash".

To me, he's the best. I think you also have to look at longevity...20 freakin' years with 1 team! That's the biggest argument I think.

Darrel Green hands down. Dein was not as good as darrel green when he retired and green was still in the league. Whe deion was getting pissed on by recivers and people was claiming he was out of his prime. Green was wa passed his prime playing against randy moss. Dont let me bring up the fact gary clark gave it to deon when deion was 3 years in the league. Darrel green hand s down

All this Green/Dieon talk has me kicking myself over the collapse of 2000. I remember in the off season when the Skins were courting Dieone, Darrell Green showed up at the restaurant to help the cause along.

We had 2 of the best corners in NFL history line up at the same time, albeit both well past their primes. doh!

Uh...Deion Sanders?

Come on...even a lot of your fellow Skins fans will claim he was better. Plus Green vs Irvin didn't turn out so well.

Go ahead and mention Deion if you want, but dont even think about coming close to bashing Darrell on this message board.

I'm not really bashing him, but are you going to tell me that Green didn't struggle against Irvin?

That dope sniffing #88 was the KING of Offensive pass interference....pushing off at the last minute because his lungs gave way.... The NFL change the rules because of him....You do remember this right...! :applause:

I'm not really bashing him, but are you going to tell me that Green didn't struggle against Irvin?

I think every player in the league has at least 1 particular player they don't matchup with. For Green it was Irvin. For Deion it was gary Clark.

I think I would rather compare them over their careers. Deion was a good punt returner when he was with Atlanta. he became a shut down corner with better defenses in Dallas and SF. When he came to Washington, his career was winding down and also with Balt.

Deion was a bad corner at the beginning because he thought his speed would make up for flaws in his coverage skills. Then he had to work at it and became better with Dallas and SF.

Green on the other hand was very good (i said very good, not great) at the beginning and middle of his career. He lost a 1/2 step as he hit 35, but was still the best 3rd corner in the league until he retired. Green had a more consistant career, but Deion had a more spectacular career IMO.

Jack Tatum was better than ronnie lott

They showed a thing on ESPN Classic a while back about Jack Tatum, he is the hardest hitter I have ever seen and boy was he ever nasty. He paralyzed a guy on the Patriots during a preseason game when he was going over the middle for a ball and to this day he still refuses to apologize to the guy. He is the only guy I have ever seen with comprable combination of size and speed to Sean Taylor. I don't know how good he was overall but I wish I had been able to see him play.

I still have to say Green was the best I have ever seen though. Deion was very good but he absolutely SUCKED when he played for the 'Skins. Darrell was ALWAYS good though, even at 40+ playing a speed position.

Again, Darrell Green and Deion couldn't tackle anybody. Were they good? Yes. Dick "Night Train" Lane could cover and when he hit you, you knew it. Best CB ever.

Dude, Darrell could tackle. Don't even say that. it's just he had to use his WHOLE body to do it. Deion would Wiff like a freakin Matador. :D

Archived