Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Cornerback and Saftey Ever

CrypticVillain

stop being homers and give it to the best cover corner of all time "Prime Time"

That would be great if that's all a CB was asked to do. Deion was the best self-promoter of all time. I will give him that. Deion took away one side of the field against the pass and left that same side of the field wide open against the run.

A sidenote? Seven Pro Bowls. 11 TDs on returns. 54 INTs. 19 consecutive years with an INT. Played on three Super Bowl teams. Played more games at CB than any other player in NFL history. Played more games than any other non-kicker in NFL history (Bruce Matthews is tied with him). Oldest CB to make the Pro Bowl in NFL history (age 37; what was Deion doing at that age, reading off a teleprompter or quietly playing nickle CB in Baltimore?) Named NFL Man of the Year 1995. Four time NFL's Fastest Man.

Ok, I'll go head to head with you playing devils advocate against one of my favorite players even.

First, let's eliminate everything on your list that is not relevant to "better cornerback" argument.

1. Fastest Man contests don't add anything to say that Darrell is better than anybody. It just means he was faster. Unfortunately, he didn't ever race against Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders in those competitions.

2. Man of the Year winner has nothing to do with "better cornerback"

3. Playing most games means something, but not a horrible amount when you are talking about Sanders and Woodson, who both played a hella lot of games.

Ok, now you have this: 7 Pro Bowls. 11 TDs on returns. 54 INTs. 19 consecutive years with an INT. Played on three Super Bowl teams."

According to NFL.COM the regular season career stats are:

Darrell: 20 Seasons, 54 INT, 6 TD

Deion: 14 Seasons, 53 INT, 9 TD

Rod: 18 Seasons, 71 INT, 12 TD

19 Consecutive years with a pick? Rod had at least one pick every year except his last and the year his blew his ACL in the first game (and later returned to play in the Super Bowl that season). Deion had at least 2 picks every seasons he played.

Deion was elected to 8 Pro Bowls. Deion holds the NFL record for most career TD returns with 18. He was also Defensive Player of the Year in 1994. Deion played in 2 Super Bowls.

Rod was elected to 11 Pro Bowls. Rod's 12 interception returns for TD's are a league record. Rod was the Defensive Player of the Year in 1993. Rod Woodson played in 3 Super Bowls. Named to the NFL's 75th Anniverary All-Time Team.

If Jerry Rice, the best reciever in NFL history, says DG was the hardest to play against, thats enough for me. Who are we, as non players, to say who's a better cb than who?

If you could provide an actual quote, that would be useful.

Jerry Rice also says that John Riggins and the Hogs were the worst offensive running game in history. That doesn't make it so.

A sidenote? Seven Pro Bowls. 11 TDs on returns. 54 INTs. 19 consecutive years with an INT. Played on three Super Bowl teams. Played more games at CB than any other player in NFL history. Played more games than any other non-kicker in NFL history (Bruce Matthews is tied with him). Oldest CB to make the Pro Bowl in NFL history (age 37; what was Deion doing at that age, reading off a teleprompter or quietly playing nickle CB in Baltimore?) Named NFL Man of the Year 1995. Four time NFL's Fastest Man.

You want to offer a dissenting opinion that Darrell wasn't among the best CBs ever, fine. You want to offer the opinion that Redskin fans hold Darrell in too high a regard, that's fine. But at least take the time to back it up.

A sidenote? That's just contrarian exaggeration on your part.

AMEN :cheers:

stop being homers and give it to the best cover corner of all time "Prime Time"
He couldn't tackle anyone. That immediately takes him out of the conversation. Sorry, but it does.
Heres a link to a poll on this site where people mostly think Deion was the better corner but i had to vote for Green

http://www.maddennation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51985

Safeties typically get more int' than corners.

Dan

Woodson played less years and had 17 more picks. He was only a safety for half his career. Deion has virtually the same number of picks with so many fewer years. Also, Deion never played safety.

Despite being a lifetime skins fan I have to disagree with the majority of the people on this thread. In their Prime's Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson were both better cornerbacks than Darrell Green. Green belongs in the Hall of Fame and we were very lucky to have a player of his calibur, but for the absolute best of the best in the modern era, Sanders and Woodson were slightly better.

No Way, Darrel Green was a Warrior on the field. He competed against the best and dominated. Deon Sanders never dominated the best. Only crappy recievers. the best reciever he shut down was Andre Rison and thats sad man. D.Green was better than Rod Woodson and Deon.

No Way, Darrel Green was a Warrior on the field. He competed against the best and dominated. Deon Sanders never dominated the best. Only crappy recievers. the best reciever he shut down was Andre Rison and thats sad man. D.Green was better than Rod Woodson and Deon.

It doesn't matter how hard somebody tries. That doesn't make them the best. You can make blanket statements about players without any facts, but that doesn't make the statements true.

If sombody is going to enter the debate, at least get your ducks in a row and gather some facts.

I've done some research and according to my statement that whatever Jerry Rice determined who was the best cb he faced was the best cb. The best cb would be eric allen, followed by dieon.

http://www.webyoda.com/JerryRice/trivia.htm

Darrell Green is still first ballot HOF. and in my opinion a better all around CB than Dieon.

I'm not exactly sure how accurate the source is.

It doesn't matter how hard somebody tries. That doesn't make them the best. You can make blanket statements about players without any facts, but that doesn't make the statements true.

If sombody is going to enter the debate, at least get your ducks in a row and gather some facts.

The Fact is Deon is Overrated and Darrel green is the Best Corner Ever. He did not try hard. Its either do or do not and the fact is that Darrel Green did it. There was not try. He was a better corner than Deon.

You are beleiving the hype and thats sad. Deon was no way better than Darrel Green.

Kick Deion out of the conversation. He couldn't tackle, that makes him a liability. Rod Woodson was one of the best, no doubt, he still wasn't as good as Dick Lane. Woodson was not ever as feared for his tackles as Lane. They stopped allowing clothesline tackles because of Lane. He was the first "shut-down" corner ever. Woodson has never been called a shut down corner. He was a great tackler, Deion was a great coverage guy. Lane was BOTH. That makes Dick "Night Train" Lane the best CB to ever play the game. That anyone doesn't even enter him into the conversation shows a severe naivete towards the history of the NFL. Bottom line, you don't get a nickname like "Night Train" for being a cream puff. How many CB's ever get a nickname that should belong to a LB? Not even considering Night Train in the conversation is like compiling a list of greatest LB's and not talking about Dick Butkus. Stupid, plain and simple.

QUACK? QUACK?

. That makes Dick "Night Train" Lane the best CB to ever play the game. Bottom line, you don't get a nickname like "Night Train" for being a cream puff. How many CB's ever get a nickname that should belong to a LB?

heh heh...he said...Dick...yeah Beavis, he said Dick!!

The Fact is Deon is Overrated and Darrel green is the Best Corner Ever. He did not try hard. Its either do or do not and the fact is that Darrel Green did it. There was not try. He was a better corner than Deon.

You are beleiving the hype and thats sad. Deon was no way better than Darrel Green.

No, your OPINION is that Deion is overrated and your OPINION is that Darrell is the best cornerback ever. Of course you have nothing to back that up. You might as well say Martin Mayhew was the 2nd best cornerback ever.

You are nothing but a blind homer and that is sad.

No, your OPINION is that Deion is overrated and your OPINION is that Darrell is the best cornerback ever. Of course you have nothing to back that up. You might as well say Martin Mayhew was the 2nd best cornerback ever.

I seen them play, i watched Deon play, i watched darrel green play. Darrel green played great against the top competition and i will not state any links of stats because i have made a thread on this last year with videos, stats, and quotes from top recievers jerry rice, marvin harrisson and randy moss. So i will not do it again.

:laugh:

Yeah, almost as sad as failing to acknowlege that the NFL played a few games BEFORE 1985. If all you can come up with is Deion, Darrell, and Woodson then you shouldn't be flinging labels around at people.

:laugh:

Yeah, almost as sad as failing to acknowlege that the NFL played a few games BEFORE 1985. If all you can come up with is Deion, Darrell, and Woodson then you shouldn't be flinging labels around at people.

You need 2 posts to tell me that?

I only listed 2 players who were better choices for "best cornerback and safety ever", as the thread stated. I don't know enough about Dick Lane, or Mel Blount. I will say that Lane played in a different era, and I don't think that it is even fair to compare him to the modern game.

You need 2 posts to tell me that?

I only listed 2 players who were better choices for "best cornerback and safety ever", as the thread stated. I don't know enough about Dick Lane, or Mel Blount. I will say that Lane played in a different era, and I don't think that it is even fair to compare him to the modern game.

Of course it is. The title of the thread is best ever, not best in the last 30 years, or best in the modern era. Lane set the standards by which modern day CB's are judged. To dismiss guys like that is to miss the point entirely.

Archived