Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patten to be cut (rumor)?

bnacpa

The only way I can see this as being true is if the Skins are basing this purely off of Jacobs' potential and their ages.

Maybe, they'd like to have someone like Jacobs as the #5 WR where he has more time to adapt to their system and very little will be expected of him. Meanwhile, he'll continue to contribute on special teams (which we all know is a huge positive with this staff).

That would give us Moss, Lloyd, Randle-El, Thrash, Jacobs (with the last 3 being ST contributors). Not bad if you ask me...

If I had it my way, I would prefer to keep Patten as the 4 and let Thrash be the ST stud/occassional WR...but I can see the logic in keeping Jacobs due to age. That would give us 4 young WRs who can grow together and one seasoned veteran.

A couple points ...

1.) Patten was interviewed and was asked if he offered to restructure his contract to benefit the team and his response was something along the lines of mgmt/front office hasn't asked me to, so I don't see any reason to restructure. I think this is true with most players ... they keep their contract unless the team asks them to restructure (or they are really unhappy with their terms and sit out ... but that isn't the case here).

2.) Patten complained about not enough catches and the IR situation, but he wasn't disgruntled in complaining. It came across more like frustration where he knew why he was put on IR, but his competitive spirit had him eager to get on the field and contribute. This is the good kind of frustration where he expressed his wishes that he could have helped out the team more and it was unfortunate that he was on IR by the time he was healed and could have done a lot more (than Jacobs ... implied by never said or called out).

It wouldn't shock me. Joe Gibbs has said on several occasions that if you aren't starting you better be able to contribute on special teams, something both Thrash and Jacobs have a healthy advantage in. It would be great to have him as our #4 but how many catches do you really see him garnering in that role?

Good point. Patten is vulnerable, yes. He's better step up seriously or he's atop the "trade bait" list.

I can believe it - there were 2 wide receivers brought in this off season.

If the guy wasn't happy before he can't be happy now. How quickly we forget how Gibbs handled Coles and Gardener. If you want out, your out. Just because Patten isn't public in his displeasure doesn't mean he is happy.

That would be a horrible mistake, and I really hope it's not true. Patten created a lot of seperation when he was healthy, and he made a big difference. Stats don't tell the whole story.

I'm as much of a Redskins devotee as anyone, but I don't know what games you were watching. All I saw from Patten last year (before he got hurt) was that he never seemed to get much separation and thus had trouble catching passes. I thought the reason we brought him in was his speed, but I didn't see that speed on the field last season. I doubt he will get cut though because I think he could still make a difference on the field as a third or fourth WR (when covered by lesser defenders). He definitely has a better track record and better experience than Jacobs, and Randle El and Lloyd are going to make Patten more of a threat. You can't believe everything Charles Robinson says; I bet the comment from his "source" was just speculation by someone who doesn't really follow the Redskins.

Also, let's not turn this thread into an argument about various hemispheres of the Earth. :doh:

Good point. Patten is vulnerable, yes. He's better step up seriously or he's atop the "trade bait" list.

I agree he is vulnerable but no one is going to trade for an older receiver with declining skills and a big contract.

I'm pretty sure there is two Hemispheres: Northern and Southern. NFL Europe is in the same hemisphere as the NFL.

there can only be two at a time it depends on which way you slice it. along the equator or the prime meridian.

we made the mistake last season of going into the season with no WR depth... we can't do that again

Patten needs to stay

Though I agree with your end point that we shouldn't cut Patten, I don't think our WR situation without him is anything approaching last year. We have 3 players at the position BETTER than Patten this year (vs. only one last year).

Really, I think this is pure speculation from people on the outside. Certainly, if he were to be released, it would be after June 1, since it would make the hit a bit less.

But, the only reason why a release would make sense now is if you are looking to sign more players and need the cap space. I really don't see it. Really, I think Patten has more value on the roster than he does off of it, mainly because the guys behind him are more dicey. Also, considering how much they were talking about having 3-4 WR sets, I don't see how that's compatible with releasing Patten.

So, I don't think it will happen.

Jason

Though I agree with your end point that we shouldn't cut Patten, I don't think our WR situation without him is anything approaching last year. We have 3 players at the position BETTER than Patten this year (vs. only one last year).

I agree with your post 100% and I would have to presume that Patten gets cut before the June 1st deadline. If he can not contribute on Special Teams, then he would certainly be an option to be cut during the season.

wow. really? i dont remember it like that, but i hope you're right. anybody have video of this?

I dont remember him getting any sepration either. I only remember him drawing pass interference calls when he really couldnt catch the fricken ball. I wouldnt be sad if we release him. We have a slew of young WR's on the roster already. Go look for yourself. Ron Johnson for example. 2nd year man out of Stanford I believe. 6'2'' 233lbs. If he can catch, Id rather throw him a meatball over the middle then Patten, and have Patten drop it or get hurt on the play. Same goes for Jacobs, who IMHO is just a waste of a roster spot for someone who can actually run and catch the ball at the same time. I think both players are expendable for players who are younger and have more potential. :2cents:

What do we save if we get rid of Patten?

Patten may have been a huge dissappointment last year but he is alot better than Jacobs...I really hope we keep Patten on board he is probably the best #4 WR in the league. He would create major mismatches. I think this guy is reaching...or atleast I hope.

What do we save if we get rid of Patten?

Patten may have been a huge dissappointment last year but he is alot better than Jacobs...I really hope we keep Patten on board he is probably the best #4 WR in the league. He would create major mismatches. I think this guy is reaching...or atleast I hope.

It wouldnt be a moved based on money more then it would be a move to open up a roster spot for someone with a big upside, and maybe make some cap space as the icing on the cake.

Bottom line is Patten ****ed about not getting enough looks.. Brunell gave him more shots and he dropped more balls then he caught.. Then he got injured.. Is he better then Jacobs? sure.. However Jacobs contributes on Special Teams.. Patten doesn't, hence Jacobs is more valuable imo.

Archived