Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patten to be cut (rumor)?

bnacpa

Per the Charles Robinson yahoo article "They really love L.A." : Per a league source, here is preliminary list of players expected to be put on the trade block or released in the coming days: Washington Redskins wideout David Patten, Cleveland Browns running back Lee Suggs, Arizona Cardinals running back Marcel Shipp, Oakland Raiders defensive end Bobby Hamilton, Green Bay Packers safety Mark Roman, New Orleans linebacker Courtney Watson and Miami linebacker Eddie Moore.

Here is the link to the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-meetings052306&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This is the second time I have seen something like this in as many days. Is this a case where the media is truly on to something and knows something or is this another media assumption on paper?

I know he didn't live up to expectations last year, but he also got injured. I would think that the mismatches he would have as a 4th WR would clearly outweigh his cap for the year. Also, since the new collective bargaining agreement lets teams let 2 players go before June 1st but retain the June 1st cap benefits of deferring the accelerated hit till the subsequent year, I would think that Gibbs would have already let him go if that was in our plans since Gibbs is very stand up that way.

Wasn't there an interview somewhere last season...maybe Redskins.com...where some people here took exception to some things Patten said that may have hinted that he was not exactly a team player. I seem to recall something like that....anyone?

ain't happening. 1. skins don't need the cap space at the moment. 2. Gibbs likes Patten. 3. he fits the profile of the type of team first player and leader the skins want. 4. he still has the ability to contribute just not as the primary #2 WR. 5. maybe he gets beaten out of a job but with no urgency moneywise you let the competition determine his role.

Wasn't there an interview somewhere last season...maybe Redskins.com...where some people here took exception to some things Patten said that may have hinted that he was not exactly a team player. I seem to recall something like that....anyone?

I'm guessing that you are talking about the point before his injury where he was complaining about not getting enough catches? If he complained about it last year, it would be funny to see how he reacts this year.

There might be something to the report, but I for one hope that it is not true.

Patten has a chip on his shoulder and feels that he has something to prove. If there is one thing that I love, is a player in a Redskins uniform, (that has talent) with something to prove.

I'm guessing that you are talking about the point before his injury where he was complaining about not getting enough catches? If he complained about it last year, it would be funny to see how he reacts this year.

Prior to that rant, he seemed to have really stepped up as a vocal team leader. Since the injury, we haven't heard much from him. I'm sure he wasn't pleased with the ARE and Lloyd signings.

I also remember reading something like that too,If I'm not mistaking it was a thread someone created on this site,not sure, but I do remember reading that.

There might be something to the report, but I for one hope that it is not true.

Patten has a chip on his shoulder and feels that he has something to prove. If there is one thing that I love, is a player in a Redskins uniform, (that has talent) with something to prove.

HEAR ! HEAR !

It wouldn't shock me. Joe Gibbs has said on several occasions that if you aren't starting you better be able to contribute on special teams, something both Thrash and Jacobs have a healthy advantage in. It would be great to have him as our #4 but how many catches do you really see him garnering in that role?

I remember hearing something about Patten not willing to defer any of salary into bonus or something like that. This was before the cap extension when all of our other players were turning salary into bonus, Patten said he saw no reason why he had to.

sorry u got this wrong.. I bet u jacobs wont do **** either in nfl europe :laugh:

:laugh:

Either way, whats the point? They aren't going to cut a player at this point unless they have to. With Patten, they don't have to. Why not let him battle it out in training camp?

Patten created a lot of seperation when he was healthy, and he made a big difference. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Clint

wow. really? i dont remember it like that, but i hope you're right. anybody have video of this?

I'm all for letting them sort things out in camp, but after that I say let Patten go! I can live with Farris if someone gets hurt, and he's a good special team player if my memory serves me; and then, and then along comes Ty Law! Bingo!:applause:

wow. really? i dont remember it like that, but i hope you're right. anybody have video of this?

Only thing that comes to mind is his TD that was called back for pass interference in Denver. He's had a few screen passes thrown to him, and he is fast enough to make it successful, but I can't think of too many other plays before the injury.

I too hope that this report is false. Patten did complain about the system and not getting enough catches and was angry about being placed on IR last season when he said that he was healthy enough to play. That could have drawn Gibb's Ire which could lead to this report. However, Patten never struck me as a Me first player. Certainly not while in NE and not really in here so far either. Patten wasn't angry about ARE and Lloyd being brought here, in fact he asked Gibbs if the best player would start and he was assured of that by Gibbs. I think that this is just a rumor and won't turn out to be anything of consequence. I've been saying for awhile that Patten will have a good season this year, and really push ARE and Lloyde for the #2 #3 or maybe #4th spot and I still firmly believe that to be true.

Archived