Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: 'Paranoid Redskin fans"

Langford78

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/nfl/huddle_up/2006/2006/05/predicting-nfc-east.html

Reading this article by Andrew Perloff on si.com a few minutes ago really pissed me off. (If you're wondering, he picked the Cowgirls as #1 for the NFC East) :mad:

2. Washington Redskins: By the end of last season, the Skins were the best team in the division. They handed out whoopings to the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles in the final three weeks of the regular season and gave Seattle a hard time in the divisional playoffs despite being totally worn out. They added another group of high-priced free agents in the offseason and have a ridiculous set of assistant coaches under Joe Gibbs. The only glaring question mark is 35-year-old quarterback Mark Brunell, but he was good enough last year. It's hard not to pencil Washington in as a playoff team, even though I would love not to just to antagonize the army of paranoid Redskins fans. Predicted Record: 11-5

:dallasuck

He would love to be able to say that the Redskins aren't a playoff team just to antagonize us.

People on this board love to drag every negative bit against us out of every article and claim it to be biased whether it actually is or not. So we've earned the reputation of being paraniod. Hard to disagree with that. People here are obsesses with what others think or write about us.

Okay so he's admitting that he likes to antaganize us Redskin fans, but other than that I don't see anything incorrect with this statment. And to be honest, I too have a hard time saying that Dallas isn't the preseason favorite with the addition of T.O. and the solid draft that they had.

I don't know this guy, or his body of work, but this clip of writing gives me no reason to think that he's not atleast objective.

Who cares what he says about the fans. Everything he says about the team is correct. Hey if the redskins finish 11-5 its hard not to be happy with that. With how tough the division is i think 11-5 will def win the east and maybe a bye. :gaintsuck

This writer is still an idiot. According to him, the Cowboys are:

"They are loaded with weapons on offense"

Loaded with weapons? Are you kidding??? Who the hell is gonna protect Drew Bledsoe? That o-line is mediocre at best and is very uninspiring. it's not as if they even excel at run-blocking but struggle at pass protection like how the Ravens o-line used to be... mediocre o-line, borderline crappola. If they can't even runblock for one of Dallas "loaded" running backs (who are actually also both mediocre) and they're not adept at pass-protection, what's the point of TO? I never knew that Julius Injury Jones and Maron Barber constituted being loaded weapons on offense. LOL.

Bledsoe will be hammered and harrassed into making those beautiful interceptions of his...

"have systematically brought in the right players to run their 3-4 defense"

Who the hell is in their secondary again? Again, nothing impressive, nothing even good. Mediocre at best, borderline crappola.

This writer is still an idiot. According to him, the Cowboys are:

Loaded with weapons? Are you kidding??? Who the hell is gonna protect Drew Bledsoe? That o-line is mediocre at best and is very uninspiring. it's not as if they even excel at run-blocking but struggle at pass protection like how the Ravens o-line used to be... mediocre o-line, borderline crappola. If they can't even runblock for one of Dallas "loaded" running backs (who are actually also both mediocre) and they're not adept at pass-protection, what's the point of TO? I never knew that Julius Injury Jones and Maron Barber constituted being loaded weapons on offense. LOL.

Bledsoe will be hammered and harrassed into making those beautiful interceptions of his...

I agree, their O Line is going to leak like a siv this year. I couldn't believe how he thought Dallas is "loaded with weapons", while ARE, Lloyd, Carter, Saunders, etc. apparently don't qualify as weapons. And they're just our new weapons.

We're not paranoid. This is just more proof.

Lazy, unoriginal, bandwagon-jumping, reactionary doofi like this specimen really ARE out to get us.

Semi-decent take on the team, though. :)

RECOGNIZE!!!

That's right- the Skins fan's are rabid. Anyway- you know now that 'experts' are less willing to stake their reputation on predicting woe for the Skins and shifted there attention to a defenseless target- the fans.

But it doesn't surprise me that more 'experts' are predicting success for the Skins. They made the playoffs last year, so the weatherman, uh, I mean 'experts' think they'll be good this year. Real risky, out on a limb journalism. Which is why in the past when they predicted our demise it didn't mean anything either. They are just weather men and women- telling us what already happend and is most likely to happend again. Not even worth listening too.

Did it ever occur to you that our compulsion to post and debate such irrelevant things out of feelings of persecution is as much of a self-fulfilling prophesy as one of these dorks needling Redskins fans in their columns in order to generate a response?

I see a rather disgusting co-dependency at work here that undoubtedly works in the favor of these writers, who seem to think that any controversy over their work is a good thing. How many clicks on that link do you think that this post generated?

RECOGNIZE!!!

That's right- the Skins fan's are rabid. Anyway- you know now that 'experts' are less willing to stake their reputation on predicting woe for the Skins and shifted there attention to a defenseless target- the fans.

But it doesn't surprise me that more 'experts' are predicting success for the Skins. They made the playoffs last year, so the weatherman, uh, I mean 'experts' think they'll be good this year. Real risky, out on a limb journalism. Which is why in the past when they predicted our demise it didn't mean anything either. They are just weather men and women- telling us what already happend and is most likely to happend again. Not even worth listening too.

Good point. I think there's a difference between fans being rabid and paranoid.

Come one guys, he actually gave his unbiased opinion on what he thought of the team, that's all that matters. And for the record, Skins fans are a bit paranoid. If the writer doesn't say "Skins are the greatest team ever, guaranteed SB victory this year" someone here will find something wrong with it. Not saying that a little media bias doesn't exist but it's understandable. Jeaoulsy is a natural and expected human response when one party has a decided money (even if it's just willingness to spend, not ability to) and power advantage as the Redskins obviously do in the NFL. I see nothing wrong with this article. Peter Queer and Fat boy are different stories but lets not get crazy with all the anit-skin media talk.

The replies are laughable, further proof the brokeback nation should not be allowed to reproduce. Besides guys SI is the official publication of the Lakers, Cowboys, Yankees and Red Wings. It does not matter if it is Brunell or Campbell this year, Saunders has the offense ready and our D will be top ten once again. Honestly, the Giants are overrated, the pukes still have no O-line and Drew the Statue Bledsoe, The Eagles will be better, but this is a Gibbs led 'Skins team. I hope when the Redskins win the division that Perloff is crying into his yoohoo with the rest of brokeback nation to provide "comfort"

Guest santana4prez
He would love to be able to say that the Redskins aren't a playoff team just to antagonize us.

People on this board love to drag every negative bit against us out of every article and claim it to be biased whether it actually is or not. So we've earned the reputation of being paraniod. Hard to disagree with that. People here are obsesses with what others think or write about us.

We are the only message board that has fans that do this? All Message Boards do the same thing. Some media guys are bias because they have there own opinions about Snyder and bash moves even if they are good ones because of it. That is biased. Only a couple media guys have done it though but it mainly is because they are wrong about the cap hell every year because Snyder is smarter than they are. The media isnt biased only a couple reporters are. I wont mention any names *cough**Lenny P**cough**Peter King**cough.

I really hope the guy in this article wasnt saying that Skins fans think Brunell is better than he really is. If thats the case then the person who wrote the SI article has no common sense. I am not a homer and I tell things like I see them and I really do believe Mark Brunell can still be a great QB in this league. I dont mean like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady but I mean along the lines that he can make the Pro Bowl this year.

You know I think its quite funny . I thought his analysis was pretty spot on and probably not too far off with his slight at some of the fans ...

Its not being paranoid if people actually are out to get you it is if they aren't :)

Amen!!!

As Rick Pitino once said "The negativity in this town sucks"

Who cares what he says about the fans. Everything he says about the team is correct. Hey if the redskins finish 11-5 its hard not to be happy with that. With how tough the division is i think 11-5 will def win the east and maybe a bye. :gaintsuck

Worst case scenario, an 11-5 record will get you a wildcard spot. I don't think there has ever been a team that was 11-5 that didn't get in.

This guy does have a point. How many articles and authors have been bashed on this site for trying to identify flaws in the Skins? As much as we wish it to be so, we're not a perfect team. A lot of times, we're right in labeling a columnist as a Redskins basher, but mabye we can be a bit too quick to judge sometimes...

This guy does have a point. How many articles and authors have been bashed on this site for trying to identify flaws in the Skins? As much as we wish it to be so, we're not a perfect team. A lot of times, we're right in labeling a columnist as a Redskins basher, but mabye we can be a bit too quick to judge sometimes...

read his quote again...

just to antagonize the army of paranoid Redskins fans

He did not say the he felt the Redskins would not make the playoffs. He just said he would love if they didn't. But they will.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/nfl/huddle_up/2006/2006/05/predicting-nfc-east.html

Reading this article by Andrew Perloff on si.com a few minutes ago really pissed me off. (If you're wondering, he picked the Cowgirls as #1 for the NFC East) :mad:

2. Washington Redskins: By the end of last season, the Skins were the best team in the division. They handed out whoopings to the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles in the final three weeks of the regular season and gave Seattle a hard time in the divisional playoffs despite being totally worn out. They added another group of high-priced free agents in the offseason and have a ridiculous set of assistant coaches under Joe Gibbs. The only glaring question mark is 35-year-old quarterback Mark Brunell, but he was good enough last year. It's hard not to pencil Washington in as a playoff team, even though I would love not to just to antagonize the army of paranoid Redskins fans. Predicted Record: 11-5

:dallasuck

Let's not pretend Skins fans are inherently any more likely to bristle at stupid coverage than anyone else. Our team just became a convenient target when Norv sucked the life of the organization, then the ownership turned over and we went through the growing pains associated with that (Deion, Bruce ... Marty ... Steve). We went from a flagship organization to a team that lost for a run of a few years, and did it loud. We became an easy byline and punchline. Lazy writers have taken full advantage of that.

We've just responded as any proud, passionate fans would.

Seriously ... if anyone really doesn't think other teams fans react to unsupported negativity or just flat reporting, go to the board of any "name" team and check the reaction when a media type stays something stupid. It'll look very, very familiar.

Agreed. Overall the clipping is positive and very truthful and a realistic predicition. :doh:

Archived