Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Donovan McNabb first mini camp press conference

Bostic Hog

Just reported on the radio in Philly was highlights of McNabb's first press conference during this weekend's mini camp ---

"I'm not here to make friends, just to win games".

Now, to stir up the pot with those Eagles fans: are you confident that this guy can lead you? He sure seems to be a head case to me ... not much of a great thing to say during the first mini camp with all those rooks.

HTTR

The NFC East has never been as good as it is right now since McNabb came into the league. Divisional wins will be very hard to come by this season for every team. It will be interesting to see how he responds to greatly improved opposition.

The team does respect him. Many of them have said that over and over. It's probably getting a little tiring. Personally I don't care if they all hate each other. If they bring home the Lombardi thats the only thing that matters.

DMac has been around long enough to know what he needs to do. The fans and the media like to read too much into some things.

I can think of a few people on here who read into almost everything the Eagles say..

The only hope NFC East fans have is that there is a problem with McNabb. Deep down, they have watched him dominate the division, when healthy, for the last 5-6 years. They know if he is back, the Eagles will roll. I love it.

McNabb is a great quarterback in my opinion but who says he'll be like he was pre-injury. McNabb might not be the same QB. In addition, he doesn't have great targets around him. I don't see the Eagles offense as very terrifying.

The only hope NFC East fans have is that there is a problem with McNabb. Deep down, they have watched him dominate the division, when healthy, for the last 5-6 years. They know if he is back, the Eagles will roll. I love it.

Dominate a weak division. :cheers:

The last 5-6 years dont mean anything when used in relation to this season because in those 5-6 years the NFC East was about as good as the nfc west, or north are...

Though nobody can really discredit McNabb and the Eagles for winning in that time frame. Maybe all of the other teams sucked because they were so good, maybe they were so good because all of the other teams sucked. Something to think about though is that the Eagles made it through the divisional and conference championship in 2004 without T.O. that means the team winning those games was the Eagles team with no real good WR's led by McNabb. They showed they can play in the playofffs, and contrary to other years, they can win big games in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how they play this season against 3 other teams that are capable of making the playoffs. Will they be back in the form they were before? Or will their previous form not be good enough to win in the East?

Come on WB...you know that all three of the other teams in the division are a lot stronger this year than they were while Philly was dominating. If you're expecting the Eagles to roll through the division like they used to you've got another thing coming, regardless of what McNabb does.

The whole article......

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=48292

McNabb: I'm Here To Win

May 13, 2006

By CHRIS McPHERSON

Quarterback Donovan McNabb on Saturday held his first press conference since the end of last season and was confident that this camp is the first road towards the team's goal of winning the Super Bowl.

"I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to win ballgames," said McNabb. "The only way we'll be able to win ballgames is by playing together and playing well. My whole mindset coming back is to work out, train, get stronger, get faster, push each other, motivate each other and have fun."

When asked if he thought he might have to win back the locker room after a tough 2005 season, McNabb said that wasn't the case. He said he felt he had never lost his teammates last year, and that he had full trust in the guys this season.

"If you can't trust your family, then who can you trust," said McNabb.

It was McNabb's first mass media press conference since tearing his sports hernia injury and missing the latter part of the 2005 campaign. If there are any scars, McNabb didn't show them. With his closely-cropped hair, he seemed to be the same McNabb who has been in five Pro Bowls in seven seasons.

Indeed, McNabb said he won't change anything about his approach to this year, although it appeared to most observers that he had lost some weight since last year.

"I'm always a nice guy. I'm not going to change who I am," said McNabb, who has spent more time in Philadelphia in this off-season than he usually does, both because of his injury rehab and his interest in sending the message to the players that "this is serious business. I take it very serious what I have to do to train. I just wanted to send a message to the guys and let them know that with everything that happened I'm still focused, I'm still looking forward to getting back out on the field and I kind of wanted them to have that same attitude as well."

Don't get the idea, though, that the light-hearted side of McNabb is gone. He will still laugh and joke and try to keep the players loose.

"People don't think it's funny now, well I'm going to continue to laugh. I'll have to entertain myself, I guess," said McNabb. "I love everyone. I'm a loving guy. If they don't, they respect what I do."

McNabb joked later in his press conference that he wasn't worried about the upcoming Terrell Owens tell-all book that is due out in June -- in fact, McNabb said he would get a copy and hope to have it autographed by Owens -- and he wasn't concerned about the team's receiving corps. McNabb, in fact, complimented Reggie Brown and Jabar Gaffney, as well as rookie Jason Avant.

The eighth-year quarterback said last year's 6-10 record caused the team to re-evaluate itself, and that much of his self-evaluation centered on the idea of remaining the same McNabb he's always been.

So, does it mean that all of the past hitrionics involving McNabb are over? Let's hope so. McNabb said he had no need to clarify statements made prior to the Super Bowl when he compared the Owens situation to "black-on-black crime" and that he just wants to focus on football and getting the Eagles back on the winning track.

It is time to get back to the top of the NFC East, he said.

"I'm excited about getting back out on the field with the guys and taking another step towards our goal," said McNabb. Throughout the off-season, guys have communicated just awaiting the opportunity to get back out on the football field. Obviously, it's a change. A lot of the things they were doing, the training methods, have prepared us in many ways for what we are faced with now."

Not a bad read at all...... :cheers:

McNabb is quality. He had a very good grace period from the 2000 season all the way through their Super Bowl. The eagles took their opportunity, got their game plan well practiced, got their team some playoff experience, and all and all a chance to gel. They preformed well, but there wasn't much to challenge them over that period either.

Last year's injuries and soap opera prevented the Eagles from seeing if that all paid off once the rest of the division stepped up. Decimated by injuries, McNabb and company did their best, but in the end were just to beat up to be competitive. It can happen to the best teams, and there really isn’t much you can do to prevent it.

This year, the NFC East has stepped up even more. The Eagles haven't really stepped backward, but they also haven't gone out and made any big moves to improve their personnel. Maybe they don’t think they need it. Andy has done well with his offense because it doesn’t need a super star to succeed.

As far as I’m concerned, the above is indisputable fact.

As far as my opinion, I think McNabb is going to struggle a lot this year offensively. The receivers won’t have the ability to get open consistently, forcing him to check down and scramble. I think he’s lost a step, and defenses are more able to deal with him, particularly if the Eagles fail to establish a running game again this year.

That’s not saying they’re doomed or anything. I’m just saying that in my opinion they’re going to need an ace up their sleeve somewhere, or at least McNabb to have his best season to date in order to be seriously competitive this year. Maybe Cheesesteak has a plan to cover all that. If he does, I’ll be suitably impressed when I see it working.

I don't care if he called Andy Reid fat. I just want a ring. I'm confident with McNabb at the helm. He's dominated this division for years. You and everyone else know it. It's a fact. He will be back into form this season.
The NFC East has never been as good as it is right now since McNabb came into the league. Divisional wins will be very hard to come by this season for every team. It will be interesting to see how he responds to greatly improved opposition.

I don't understand how Iggle fans can ignore this statement. The NFC East has improved tremendously talent wise and at the coaching level in the past two years. This is not the same division that they dominated for 4 years, and Iggle fans know it. Personally, I think you Iggle fans are scared. You know deep down that the window is closed and the run is over.

Sorry Iggle fans, better luck in the next 20 years when your next dominant team shows up...

I'll tell you how I can ignore it. He said it AFTER I posted. But thats beside the point.

You guys read into every damn thing McNabb says. Why is this any different? I'll wait until he's on the field and playing well or ****ty to make a comment on this crap. As far as I'm concerned McNabb is the least of our worries.

If you truly believe that the Eagles are going to steam roll past the division like they had a few years ago then you seriously need to take off the green and white colored glasses and wake the hell up! :laugh: This is a completely different ballgame now. The old paradigm of the Eagles winning the division due to the weakness of the other 3 teams is now false.

Each team in this division will be fortunate to break even in the divisional standings at the end of this year.

ummmmm yeah

just like it did with TO, reality is going to hit you HARD! :laugh:

I don't understand how Iggle fans can ignore this statement. The NFC East has improved tremendously talent wise and at the coaching level in the past two years. This is not the same division that they dominated for 4 years, and Iggle fans know it. Personally, I think you Iggle fans are scared. You know deep down that the window is closed and the run is over.

Sorry Iggle fans, better luck in the next 20 years when your next dominant team shows up...

While we know that things have changed, we also are confident that our team can go out and win. Remember that during that time frame, they also battled a Giants team in the early 2000's that was lead by a still effective Kerry Collins, battled a very good Bucs team that had one of the greatest defenses of its era, Da Bears and Packers, not to mention going toe to toe with the greatest show on turf. While yes, for the most part the NFC East stunk, the rest of the NFL was pretty damn good, and the Eagles faired very well against them.....a challenge is nothing new to them.

Archived