Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen Davis or CP?

skinfan2k

I know stephen davis career came to a downfall when steve spurrier was here. But would davis be gibbs perfect back or should we be happy that we have CP? Im not talkin about age, have the skins found a perfect back for the gibbs system.. I knoe that davis only had a few yrs in him...Plz elaborate. BTW, what is the franchise record for most yards in a redskins uni? is CP close enough or does he have a few more seasons?

I know stephen davis career came to a downfall when steve spurrier was here. But would davis be gibbs perfect back or should we be happy that we have CP? Im not talkin about age, have the skins found a perfect back for the gibbs system.. I knoe that davis only had a few yrs in him...Plz elaborate. BTW, what is the franchise record for most yards in a redskins uni? is CP close enough or does he have a few more seasons?

I like this thread and was thinking about it during last season. While I feel that Davis would've been the prototypical Gibbs back, a modern Riggins-esque back, I think that we're better off with Portis. Gibbs has the uncanny ability to adjust to whatever the league gives him, and his signing of Saunders shows that he's willing to get a guy who can make Portis even better.

I think that Davis would be an 8 in Gibbs's new system, but Portis is a near-ten.

Davis, in his prime was a very good runner in between the tackles. If we never were to get CP, than getting rid of Davis looks like a bonehead move since he is a very good runner in between the tackles. However, since we were able to get Portis he adds more explosion and big plays to the lineup. I believe tweaking to Portis's style is far more productive than the continuous pounding of Steven Davis. Having said that, I would love to have a healthy stephen davis come back and spell Portis for about 8-10 carries a game. :cheers:

The problem with this comparison is that the system has changed.

Davis would have been the perfect back when Gibbs first came back into the league and still ran the same set counter trey, 70 chip etc.. A big bruising back that could shake off tackles and eat up yards.

It took a full year with Gibbs and Portis on the same team to revamp the offense, to go to a more athletic mindset with the O-line, to impliment a zone blocking scheme, and to run more off tackle and gap technique plays.

So the answer to your question is both and neither at the same time :laugh:

If you had asked this question last year I think i would have said SD. Having Jansen back on the R side of the line really helped Portis this year, so did another year of working w/ Gibbs and Byner. After two years in our system I think Portis is everything that a "Gibbs player" requires and then some. He is an absolute beast!!!!

Team player, great blocker, fights for yards and isn't afraid of contact... sounds about right. Portis could end up being the best back the Skins have ever had.

Portis is the perfect back for this upcoming season. Given how spread defenses are going to be on every down thanks to our new wide receiver corps, portis will provide us with tough running and home-run potential every time he touches the ball. Thats exactly what we are going to want if the offense pans out as expected.

do u really think that al saunders will change the entire system? i think it may be minor tweaking and add a few more plays to the playbook. Because u know if its 3rd and short, u know what gibbs likes to run counter trey.

I think it'll be a 25-33% change. Remember that both Gibbs and Saunders come from the Air Coryell offense. With a Gibbs/Saunders offense, I agree that we'd have to use Sellers or Rock or Betts for a third and short, but I don't think that you'll be seeing too many third downs. ;)

I wonder if Al Saunders will make CP change his style of running with the ball in the arm closest to the defender, instead of away from the defender.

Wait, I don't understand how that could possibly be beneficial. Can you explain why Saunders would want that?

This actually a good topic, definitely something to think about. I would have to go with CP just because SD did fumble a lot. CP to me has yet to have his biggest season and I think that will be the upcoming season. SD was a pounder IMO (more than CP) plus he could make moves when necessary and he was a touchdown machine. But in the end CP never got beat up by Westbrook, :doh: so I will take CP... :silly:

Portis over Davis - no contest. Portis is an elite back, Davis never was elite. Stephen Davis couldn't even beat out Terry Allen his first three years.

Well, I wouldn't knock Terry Allen. He did have our single-season record for a few years, which means he beat out the god that is Riggo.

Archived