Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen Davis or CP?

skinfan2k

Clinton Portis is the best back in the league. Did Davis even play a game last season?
Yeah, Davis played last year. He even scored 12 TD's which is more than Portis scored last year.

I agree that CP is better, but don't sell Davis short.

ok i stopped reading half way...white will give use the pound ground game just like what sellers does, but portis is the ****, i live in denver and when i would watch him run he was just one of those guys that make you think wow that guy is talented. And for years i watched bailey get burned for touch downs but to get a guy like portis. class heart not in nfl but these days you can only ifnd it in the name redskin. thats what gibbs believes. To be a redskin is heart and soul. What are you?

This is a good point. Stephent Davis always did have a nose for the end-zone. Heck, he had 12 TD's last season. Even now, in the twilight of his career, he makes an effective goalline and short yardage back.

In his prime, Davis was awesome. He was a reliable 25 carry, 100 yard, 2 TD a game back. He was a very good runner with a big heart. I remember him playing hurt in the playoffs in '99. I remember "Believe in Stephen" t-shirts. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Stephen Davis because of that wonderful season and his many productive years here. I couldn't help but be happy for him when he carried Carolina to the Super Bowl a couple years ago.

That being said, Portis endeared himself to me last year by taking the 'skins on his back and carrying them to the playoffs. It was he, more than any other player, who ignited this team to win those 5-in-a-row. Portis was simply awesome last year: blocking, running, receiving and even throwing. He broke the team rushing record, and more importantly, his determination broke the teams long playoff drought.

So, I love both Davis and Portis. If I had to choose, I would take Portis because he has more potential. Heck, he could even break Emmitt's record if he keeps going at the rate he is for 5-6 more seasons. I will always be a fan of Stephen Davis though.

Actually, at the rate hes going he would need at least 10 more seasons to even come close.

Clinton Portis is 24 and Stephen Davis is done...

I don't even need to think about this hypothetically...

Joe Gibbs is here and traded for Clinton Portis. It's worked out so far hasn't it?

*Remembers Stephen Davis getting beat up by Michael Westbrook and Davis fumbling in a crucial drive late in the 4th quarter vs. Dallas... :doh: *

*Watches Clinton Portis' GREAT weekly performances down the stretch of the season in dress up and continue to run for 100+ yards a week during the 5-0 stretch*

Who wants Stephen Davis?

Yeah, Davis played last year. He even scored 12 TD's which is more than Portis scored last year.

I agree that CP is better, but don't sell Davis short.

Especially Davis in his prime, he could really light it up.

Portis does have the redskins rushing record, but then again, he did not have it as hard as Davis did either (not that what Portis did was easy)

Davis had players like Albert Connell and Darrius Thompson to take the pressure and attention off him in the passing game

Portis has players like Moss and Cooley to keep the pressure and attention off him in the passing game

Davis had linemen like Brendan Stai, Larry Moore, and Matt Cambell blocking for him in the middle

Portis has Rabach, Dockery, and Thomas to block for him in the innterior

Davis ran with Jansen and Samuals as rookies learning to adjust in the NFL

Portis ran with them once they acheived all-pro level

Davis played under QBs like Shane Mathews, Jeff George, Danny Werful, and, Tony Banks running the offense

Portis has Brunell

Davis had to run under the sysytems of Norv Rurner, Martty Schotenhimer, and Steve Spurriur

Portis got to run in Gibbs system, twice in a row, and really doen't need ot worry too much about changing systems now (his first year here, it took him a while to adjust to a new system, which Davis had to do all the time)

Davis would go into games with the other team knowing his is our whole offence, stackng8 and 9 in the box the whole game, not needin to respect play actions (who is going to throw and catch them) and STILL racked up the yards and the wins.

If teams don't respect our playaction or passes, Moss is going 80 yards for on a TD bomb

IN addition to that, Davis was not only our starting back, he was our shart yardage back too, if it was short yardage, Davis was getting the call to run the ball, when everyone knew that is what was going to happen, and found a way to pick up the TDs and and First Downs. In almost every game he played, he was hurting, but found a way to make this line up anyway

Portis does have the rushing title,and may prove to be a rushing yardage beast, but he did not do it in the same playing conditions that Davis was thrown into.

Not only is this true but the genius who criticized him for not beating out Terry Allen forgot that Stephen had to learn how to run lower and playing at FB helped him do that. (maybe with no knee injury, it wouldn't have mattered as MUCH.) Once he learned to do that, he won the starting position and never looked back.

Stephen Davis won the starting job eventually, but he never won it FROM Terry Allen. Terry Allen was gone before Stephen Davis started. And Davis never out rushed Allen in the same backfield. (and as far as injuries go, Terry Allen trumps Stephen Davis there too)

I am surprised that you say you were looking for Davis, a fullback drafted in the 4th round, to replace a star halfback like Allen. Norv Turner was the only one who saw anything in Davis back then. Part of what I liked about Davis is that, unlike Portis, he was an underdog coming into the league.
For what its worth, I looked up Allen's college info too: I was surprised to learn he was a 9th round pick by Minnesota. How 'bout that?

Well Terry Allen as you pointed out was only a 9th round pick compared to Stephen Davis as a 4rth round pick. Also Terry Allen did well before the Redskins but blew out his knees and was considered damage goods. The Redskins took a risk on him and got him at a value.

Stephen Davis ran behind Jon Jansen & Chris Samuels. Terry Allen ran behind Shar Pourdanash & the last aging days Ed Simmons & Jim Lachey (last days were not pretty). It was no contest, Davis had a much better line, was younger and hardly better than the older, more injured/surguried Terry Allen behind a worse line.

any bonehead knows that davis is more of gibbs style runner but the nfl has changed and the threats are different than they were 20 years ago. now today even more so than before, your RB must be able to make big plays. i think CP is a bigger play maker than davis ever was but like i said i think that davis is much more the gibbs type back.

My dad follows the Panther's and there is a good chance that SD will not play this year. He never fully recovered from a knee injury.

Glad to hear it! I thought we got rid of Stephen Davis at the perfect time (despite all the bemoaning at the time). And it is looking more & more like that every season.

IMO, he is an ok runningback and one of the more overhyped ones. I would like to see Portis rub him out of Redskins fans minds, as he is one of the more bemoaned ex-redskins and I think that is a bit tiresome. I'm tired of hearing about Stephen Davis, he just wasn't as good as his numbers.

You can't really ask the question because SD and CP played in different time frames. However, SD would be the man if the timing had worked out. All these fans who are saying CP is better didn't watch SD play in his prime. I'm not saying CP is a bad running back, just that SD was a Riggo like running back in his prime that could pound the rock. Not CP's speciality.

Archived