Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunders and the running game

AFskinsfan

This is my first thread so I'm sorry if it is all screwed up. Im a "learn as you go" kind of guy.

I have been reading alot about the potential of our passing game, but nothing really on the running game. Saunders has always had an incredible running game and I don't think that will change. In fact I think that we will finally see the Portis we all expected. I think we will finally see him break those long runs and be the game changer we all know he can be. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great back and will just keep getting better. I have no complaints, I was just expecting the 20 and 30 yard runs he had with Denver. This will be a pro bowl year for him now that we have legitimate threats on the outside to spread the defense. Which in turn should help keep Brunell healthy since he won't have so many 3rd and longs to deal with. I can't freakin wait!!

Also, maybe it's just me or the fact that I am separated from the DC area. (I live in Utah now), but I have been really wanting to see McCune and Nemo take the field. I'm not sure why specificly, I just know they are both beasts with great potential. Anyone else feel that way?

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

McCune and Broughton both are on special teams which is a good thing. Also they both have potential to advance up the roster but they have stiff competition ahead of them which makes that a difficult feat.

I think Saunders offensive scheme will help the running game as well but what's got me curious is weather or not Bugel can quickly adjust the O-line to the new scheme. It will be interesting to see...

Absolutely ---- The secondary and the linebackers will all be backed up --- Portis is gonna have a lot of room to run once he hits the hole and then the defense will be at his mercy.

As for McCune --- he just needs to keep learning the system and excel on special teams the way Marshall and Pierce started out...Williams demands smartness and awareness...not just hitting ability. go ask LaVar about that.

I think you're right on....when the passing game is successful it opens up the running game and vice versa. Successful offenses (with the possible exception of the Rams) always rely on both the run and the pass to move the ball down the field. If Moss, Lloyd, ARE, Cooley, and others can stretch the defenses then it will mean even more production for Portis and the running game.

It seems as though you were a bit apprehensive about posting your thoughts. Thats a shame, because I think that there might be alot more people like you who have thoughts to share, but are a little skiddish about doing so.

As for your thread, I agree with everything that you said and I also would like to see a whole lot of McCune and Nemo this preseason.

Rock on (no pun intended)...

I think saunders is going to be a fantastic addition and there will be nothing anyone can say about us "overpaying." CP should have been in the probowl last year, he put up the numbers that many backs can only dream of...and his were all hard earned which is why i like him so much. One of my favorite quotes was when he told Gibbs that its "Guts and Power" - thats Redskins football, and Saunders will help couple that with the runs like CP's first run as a Skin. i'm excited

:logo:

I am really curious to see how productive our running game is this year. One thing that always impressed me about the Chiefs was their red-zone game. Once they got it inside the 20, there was simply no stopping them. They would just barrel and bulldoze their way in to the endzone on the ground. I hope we can duplicate this.

As for McCune, I have said this before. I was not too impressed with him from the little that I saw in live action, he seemed kind of flat-footed and ran like a duck, but of course I am no football scout and I'm sure he can improve. I just wouldn't be too excited about him just because he's got big biceps, which is the first thing people always say about him. He's going to have a lot of competition around him at LB this year, let's see if he steps up.

I am really curious to see how productive our running game is this year. One thing that always impressed me about the Chiefs was their red-zone game. Once they got it inside the 20, there was simply no stopping them. They would just barrel and bulldoze their way in to the endzone on the ground. I hope we can duplicate this.

Hey, thanks guys for not ripping my first thread.

Do you think that based on the "bulldoze" technique the Chiefs used we will see Nemo in as a FB in red zone and short yardage situations?

I kind of felt like we didn't use all of our weapons last year (ie nemo) to the extent that we should have. I know, I don't even coach Pee Wee football so who am I to question a HOF'er. I also felt it was a wrong move to put Betts back in the line up after the Rock had such a great game. My feeling is that you play who's hot and the Rock was hot during that Rams game. Betts did little to nothing the following week. Did anyone else see that?

:applause:

I totally agree with this statement. We will be unstoppable in the red zone. remember the Cheifs against the Raiders down 23-20. Handoff to LJ and TD.

if you watched any of the chiefs games last year you would recognize a lot of the same running plays that the redskins run. they def. use the same power play where both guards get out and pull. saunders and gibbs both learned from coryell so their offensive philosophies will be very similar

I dont see any reason to put Nemo in there when we have a much bigger, and more versatile threat in Sellers. If we need a short yardage run we have Rock and Betts. But yeah, Saunders 3 WR sets and unpredictability should be great for Portis.

To be honest with you I'm a little bit concerned about the running game with Saunders calling the shots. I mean, if you look at how KC ran the ball, it was always a one lane/one gap type of run style. They'd create one hole and pound it(perfect for guys like LJ and PH). But Portis is a 3-lane type of back. Give him options, and let him choose the best. LH and PH can probably hit a gap a little harder than CP, but neither of them even come close to hit ability to change direction and his speed. Hopefully, like Gibbs, Saunders will adjust his run-style to fit Portis.

Just my :2cents:

I dont see any reason to put Nemo in there when we have a much bigger, and more versatile threat in Sellers. If we need a short yardage run we have Rock and Betts. But yeah, Saunders 3 WR sets and unpredictability should be great for Portis.[/quote

http://www.jesselumsden.net/lumsdenautumn2005.wmv

don't forget the possibility of using Jesse for short yard runs and inside the 20

My biggest question is guard play, KC had Roaf we have dockery (not impressive) and thomas who is coming off an injury. Any thoughts?
I think it's really up to Bugel to find out exactly what Saunders needs from his Oline-men. These coaches all talk to each other enough to find these things out. Bugel's Linemen Definitely respond well to him, and enjoy being coached by him, remarking how much he has improved their game, so he should have no problem fitting their roles into Saunder's schemes. I also think we are about to see an outstanding running game coupled with a niiice passing game. Saunders with receiving weapons and Rbacks? uh-oh Yeah they should be putting alot of points up...:point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :D

I dont see any reason to put Nemo in there when we have a much bigger, and more versatile threat in Sellers. If we need a short yardage run we have Rock and Betts. But yeah, Saunders 3 WR sets and unpredictability should be great for Portis.[/quote

http://www.jesselumsden.net/lumsdenautumn2005.wmv

don't forget the possibility of using Jesse for short yard runs and inside the 20

I agree but on some of 3wides, atleast one (if not two) receivers should be TE or someone who can block well unless you're sending them out and throwing into the flat. Our TE's and Sellers should crush most opposition. I see alot of mismatches our O coaches should be able to exploit!:cheers:

To be honest with you I'm a little bit concerned about the running game with Saunders calling the shots. I mean, if you look at how KC ran the ball, it was always a one lane/one gap type of run style. They'd create one hole and pound it(perfect for guys like LJ and PH). But Portis is a 3-lane type of back. Give him options, and let him choose the best. LH and PH can probably hit a gap a little harder than CP, but neither of them even come close to hit ability to change direction and his speed. Hopefully, like Gibbs, Saunders will adjust his run-style to fit Portis.

Just my :2cents:

Actually, Saunders' system even with the one-gap run will almost definitely benefit Portis no matter how you look at it. Let me tell you EXACTLY what it is Saunders does well...

...spreading the field.

Implementing a multiple gap system doesn't necessarily allow Portis to use his agility or speed all that much more than normal... before he breaks into the secondary CP really doesn't have that much room to maneuver and show off what separates him from LJ (this holds true no matter how many designed gaps there are). More gaps just give him other options if the primary gap is clogged with defenders (reasonably likely when you're running up the gut of a 4-3 offense).

Saunders uses his passing game to open up the run, using a lot of 3 and 4 wide sets to spread out the defense across the field. This, of course, means that there are less defenders clogging the middle of the field than what we're used to seeing in Gibbs' jumbo packages. It also means that a one-gap run play makes a LOT more sense.

Let's say that we're in a 3 wide set with Portis and Sellers in the backfield and the defense is playing a generic nickel formation (CBs on each WR, two safeties deep, 4 down lineman, and two LBs over the middle). If we're running it behind Dockery what happens, ideally, is that the four down lineman are blocked by Samuels, Jansen, Rabach, and Thomas right off the bat while Dockery goes into the next level to block a LB and Sellers leads Portis through the gap and bulldozes over the other LB... simply leaving Portis to negotiate his way through the secondary in whatever fashion he wishes.

Now of course, thats overly simplified (both defenses and Saunders will be much more tricky than that)... but it demonstrates my point. With the field spread out it makes it much easier for you to successfully concentrate all of your blocking on a single gap and be extremely effective. It's not like Portis lacks options, either, because once he hits that gap he can take whatever route looks the most appealing (i.e. the path of destruction behind Sellers) to get further downfield and utilize his speed and agility MUCH better out in the open.

Keep in mind also, Priest wasn't nearly as physical as Larry Johnson is... he was typically more elusive, not unlike Portis.

Actually, Saunders' system even with the one-gap run will almost definitely benefit Portis no matter how you look at it. Let me tell you EXACTLY what it is Saunders does well...

...spreading the field.

Implementing a multiple gap system doesn't necessarily allow Portis to use his agility or speed all that much more than normal... before he breaks into the secondary CP really doesn't have that much room to maneuver and show off what separates him from LJ (this holds true no matter how many designed gaps there are). More gaps just give him other options if the primary gap is clogged with defenders (reasonably likely when you're running up the gut of a 4-3 offense).

Saunders uses his passing game to open up the run, using a lot of 3 and 4 wide sets to spread out the defense across the field. This, of course, means that there are less defenders clogging the middle of the field than what we're used to seeing in Gibbs' jumbo packages. It also means that a one-gap run play makes a LOT more sense.

Let's say that we're in a 3 wide set with Portis and Sellers in the backfield and the defense is playing a generic nickel formation (CBs on each WR, two safeties deep, 4 down lineman, and two LBs over the middle). If we're running it behind Dockery what happens, ideally, is that the four down lineman are blocked by Samuels, Jansen, Rabach, and Thomas right off the bat while Dockery goes into the next level to block a LB and Sellers leads Portis through the gap and bulldozes over the other LB... simply leaving Portis to negotiate his way through the secondary in whatever fashion he wishes.

Now of course, thats overly simplified (both defenses and Saunders will be much more tricky than that)... but it demonstrates my point. With the field spread out it makes it much easier for you to successfully concentrate all of your blocking on a single gap and be extremely effective. It's not like Portis lacks options, either, because once he hits that gap he can take whatever route looks the most appealing (i.e. the path of destruction behind Sellers) to get further downfield and utilize his speed and agility MUCH better out in the open.

Keep in mind also, Priest wasn't nearly as physical as Larry Johnson is... he was typically more elusive, not unlike Portis.

So in a sense, rather than deciding which gap to hit straight off the line of scrimmage, Portis would have his choice in the secondary. Guess that can't be a bad thing...considering if he is in the secondary, then something is going right, lol.

My biggest question is guard play, KC had Roaf we have dockery (not impressive) and thomas who is coming off an injury. Any thoughts?
IMHO, Thomas is our best offensive lineman period. There shouldn't be any question about him (even with coming off of the injury.)

However, I have always thought that Doc is the weak link on that line. Although his pass blocking has slightly improved, I still believe that our running game would be much improved with a stronger run blocker at the LG position.

One big thing that I hope to get from Saunders - while not explicitly "running game" issue, is using our running backs more in the passing game. I'm hoping that Saunders offense and coaching will turn Portis into a real receiving threat. In the past couple of years he was hardly thrown to, except for the last option dump off....

So in a sense, rather than deciding which gap to hit straight off the line of scrimmage, Portis would have his choice in the secondary. Guess that can't be a bad thing...considering if he is in the secondary, then something is going right, lol.

Bingo. The key thing this year as well with the running game is teams will not be able to bring that extra safety in the box. In fact, teams will have to adjust to our passing attack and play more nickel D, even on second down to avoid getting burned

This is where Saunder's play calling and gameplanning will come in, if he can set up a D to where on a 2nd and 5 they are bringing in an extra DB to cover Lloyd, Moss, ARE as well as Cooley. Portis hits the hole hard, is in the secondary, makes a juke on the safety and is gone for the TD

Archived