Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunders and the running game

AFskinsfan

Great post! I can't wait to see Portis run in this system as well. I feel the same way about McCune & Nemo in regard to them taking the field. I hope they keep learning the system and playing hard on special teams. No doubt, competition will be fierce at the LB spot, as well as backup RB. The other guy I am interested in seeing on the field is Lumsden.

with coach saunders leading the offense, there will be a consistent, and fluid offensive game plan the entire game, and will only benefit, the entire team, and coaching staff. joe will be able to do what he does best, keep the machine running smoothly. there will be more expectations out of the offensive line now, and i only hope they can do the job, without injuries. we saw what happens without rabach, and thomas, dont want to see that again.

I think Saunders offensive scheme will help the running game as well but what's got me curious is weather or not Bugel can quickly adjust the O-line to the new scheme. It will be interesting to see...

I think it's really up to Bugel to find out exactly what Saunders needs from his Oline-men. These coaches all talk to each other enough to find these things out. Bugel's Linemen Definitely respond well to him, and enjoy being coached by him, remarking how much he has improved their game, so he should have no problem fitting their roles into Saunder's schemes.

This is the most important factor as to whether Saunders system will work. If Buges or any of the other offensive coaches aren't able to communicate what Saunders wants with his offense we'll have a tough time doing ANYTHING effectively on O.

Hey, thanks guys for not ripping my first thread.

Do you think that based on the "bulldoze" technique the Chiefs used we will see Nemo in as a FB in red zone and short yardage situations?

I kind of felt like we didn't use all of our weapons last year (ie nemo) to the extent that we should have. I know, I don't even coach Pee Wee football so who am I to question a HOF'er. I also felt it was a wrong move to put Betts back in the line up after the Rock had such a great game. My feeling is that you play who's hot and the Rock was hot during that Rams game. Betts did little to nothing the following week. Did anyone else see that?

Instead of Nemo, I think that Sellers will play the role Richardson played with Saunders. In fact, I think Sellers can be much more better than Richardson.

It's going to be interesting to see what Saunders does. He has a long history of success in his career, I believe the pieces are in place, it's just a matter of everything coming together. Portis is a much different type of runner than Johnson.

Here's something that is encouraging - the O-line gave up 3 sacks in the 5 game win streak, while helping CP to 5 straight 100 yrd games. It looks like this is becoming a unit, hopefully it will remain healthy and can implement Saunders' system.

I dont see any reason to put Nemo in there when we have a much bigger, and more versatile threat in Sellers. If we need a short yardage run we have Rock and Betts. But yeah, Saunders 3 WR sets and unpredictability should be great for Portis.[/quote

http://www.jesselumsden.net/lumsdenautumn2005.wmv

don't forget the possibility of using Jesse for short yard runs and inside the 20

The Lumsden film was cool, but I'm not too impressed with Canadian defenders. The thing that struck me was how, in an open field carry, Lumsden runs like Chris Cooley after a catch -- not leaning forward (as much as other RBs) and running right into and through people instead trying to break around them.

The Lumsden film was cool, but I'm not too impressed with Canadian defenders. The thing that struck me was how, in an open field carry, Lumsden runs like Chris Cooley after a catch -- not leaning forward (as much as other RBs) and running right into and through people instead trying to break around them.

Man, I don't know what film you were looking at, because I saw that cat making moves that left jock straps all over the field. I can't remember the last time that I have seen a big guy scat around like that. Seeing a big guy run that fast look kinda freaky.

re lusmden - look to his run in the shrine game (on the same website) where he jukes BOTH linebackers who don't even touch his shoelaces -seems like he can run thru and around linebackers to me - i am still scratching my head at how those two linebackers who had position didn't even get a glove on him - what a cutback by lumsden - it broke ankles

In re Al Saunders, and Jesse Lumsden: A NOTE OF CAUTION

The Coach is and will be a great addition, BUT will bring another O scheme that will require some getting used to. I dont see the O jelling until the last half of the season, at best, and that's assuming everyone (especially the Dirt Bags) stays healthy. Let's understand, my definition of "jelling" means offensive dominance - in the same manner as the Hogs and Riggins chewing up yardage in the old days.

I like this kid Lumsden, but being a good or excellent Rback still requires blocking, both running and passing, against Pro caliber DE's, Lbackers and others. If the coaches and trainers agree, I'd like to see another 15 lbs on him (assuming it doesnt affect his running or shiftiness). Does anyone know Lumsden's 40 time?

he weighed in at 224 and ran a verified 4.43 for byner and riddick at his workout

that time competes very well with the Rock (who, I believe, ran a 4.40 in his rookie year). Thanks for the info.

NEW THOUGHT - Would everyone like to see the 40 times for all RBs, WRs, TEs, CBs, LBs, and Safeties listed on the rosters? I sure would! I know the number doesnt measure quickness or heart, etc., but it is a relative measure for comparison of speed (straight-line). If there is a large consensus from the fans, how could we prevail upon the Skins?

that time competes very well with the Rock (who, I believe, ran a 4.40 in his rookie year). Thanks for the info.

But aren't we talking about a short yardage back? I might have misunderstood the previous posts, but if my assumption is true, his 40 time has little to do with his short yardage effectiveness. I'd rather see him with 20 more lbs and a little slower.....

The kid's got game. I like his technique. Keeps the ball in a good angle and high over the pecs. Switched to left hand on runs to the left. He's an upgrade over Betts IMO just because of the wiggle he showed when blocking broke down at the LOS. Where Betts would just put his head down and plow straight on, Lumsden showed a nice side step to avoid the tackle. He's got nice hands out of the backfield. Pass Pro looks good.

The only question is can he adjust to the speed of the NFL? I know he's fast but can he read defenses on the run. Hope so...cause this guy would be a real steal as a UFA.

Our running game was great last season especially so during our late season run considering defenses stacked the LOS on first and second down. Our OL dominated and Clinton pounded it up the middle most of the time.

Joe Gibbs saw our running game as our offensive strength and kept pounding the ball in his ball control offense. Under Al Saunders, and with the addition of two addition WRs I think the Redskins will show a much more varied offensive game plan. I expect that on first and second down we will see a 50-50 run-pass plays. That alone will result in defenses will choose to not stack the LOS as our pass attack will involve four good receivers (there will be a mismatch somewhere).

The result of a more varied and balanced run/pass game plan and improved WR capability should result in less carries but more yards per carry. I expect to see Clinton get more involved in the passing game with flare-outs and screen passes in order to keep defenses from coming with an all-out blitz on 3rd and long.

I think that Al Saunders (plus the addition of ARE and Lloyd) will result in Clinton's yards/carry being much better than last season. Overall, I think our offense will be significantly improved over last year.

AFskinsFan

This turned out to be a nice thread for us. I'm impressed with the feedback so far. Barring any major OL injuries (ie Jansen) this year could be big for our offense. I'm hoping JC's closer to prime time although I like Brunell. The game plans will be exciting to watch with all the weapons we have. I'm also excited about our defense. The pieces are coming to together everywhere. I just hope Hall and Frost don't become our achilles heels....

AFskinsFan

This turned out to be a nice thread for us. I'm impressed with the feedback so far. Barring any major OL injuries (ie Jansen) this year could be big for our offense. I'm hoping JC's closer to prime time although I like Brunell. The game plans will be exciting to watch with all the weapons we have. I'm also excited about our defense. The pieces are coming to together everywhere. I just hope Hall and Frost don't become our achilles heels....

Thanks alot for that, it was a better response for my first thread than I had expected. I love coming here and reading what you guys have to say, I learn so much. YOU GUYS ROCK!!! THE BEST FANS IN THE NFL!!

I keep reading all this stuff about Lumsden, until I see some real production NFL style or maybe at least some feedback from the coaching staff after training camp, I really don't care. Maybe that's harsh, but I'm talking about PROVEN running backs, Betts and the Rock are proven against NFL defenses. Nemo has had great feedback from coaches and has played in some games. I know it was mainly Special teams but at least he was in there. Yes Lumsden has great potential I am not disputing that, but right now he is not a factor in our current running game like Betts and the Rock.

I feel that Betts will either get traded or sign someplace else after this season and the Rock will be #2 behind Portis. I think the Rock is more like Portis than Betts and because of Sellers, Nemo and maybe Lumsden we can use them as a true "power back" We just don't need Betts anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I even think he can be a starter for someone else as long as they aren't in the NFC east. I just don't think WE need him with the talent we already have.

I kind of felt like we didn't use all of our weapons last year (ie nemo) to the extent that we should have. I know, I don't even coach Pee Wee football so who am I to question a HOF'er. I also felt it was a wrong move to put Betts back in the line up after the Rock had such a great game.against the Rams. My feeling is that you play who's hot and the Rock was hot during that Rams game. Betts did little to nothing the following week. Did anyone else see that?

Archived