Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Essential albums

Spaceman Spiff

This?

ehkcpz.jpg

Not sure, I never had the case, only the CD. I can't remember at all what it looks like but I literally hear some of the songs playing in my head right now even though I haven't heard them in years because they stood out that much to me.

On second thought, maybe that's just the voices in my head having a jam session.... :paranoid: :whoknows:

I have a soft spot for All Along the Watchtower, too but those are definitely two of the better songs from that album.

I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for this...BUT, AATW is yet another Dylan song that sounds lightyears better when someone else plays it.

I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for this...BUT, AATW is yet another Dylan song that sounds lightyears better when someone else plays it.

I don't know if I'd say that about a lot of Dylan songs but even Dylan himself said it sounded better when Hendrix did it. In fact, Dylan played it Hendrix's way from then on once he heard that version.

A few more to add to the mix…

Johnny Cash – Live at Folsom Prison

VU – Velvet Underground

Van Morrison – Moondance

Cracker – Kerosene Hat

Beck – Odelay

Widespread panic - Everyday

J. J. Cale – Anyway the wind blows

Led Zeppelin III

Norah Jones – Come away with me

David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust

Radiohead – Kid A

Hmm. It's always tough for me.

Essentials to me are

Ramones- Rocket to Russia

the Clash- the Clash (I know the genius of London Calling, but good grief their first album was so raw and powerful it still knocks me back.)

Jimi- Band of Gypsies( i know the others are great, but man, this one never fails to totally blow me away.)

U2- Achtung Baby (Hard to choose between this and "War" for me)

The Cure- Disintegration

John Lee Hooker- It Serves You Right to Suffer.. takes you all the way up, and drops you all the way down. Blues incarnate.

Rolling Stones- Let it Bleed, Exile on Main Street, Some Girls.. (I'd even throw Tattoo You in the mix.. a great underrated album)

Stevie Ray Vaughn- Texas Flood

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen- Darkness on the Edge of Town. (Born to run is great, but I always liked Darkness better.)

Johnny Winter And- Live (Absolutely awesome live set with Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer. It's hard to find the full version of the album anymore, though.)

Peter Gabriel- Us (Someone said earlier, I think Om, Peter Gabriel is a friggin' GENIUS, and I love this album, especially "14 black paintings")

Bob Marley Live

The Who Live at Leeds (oh my GOD the power of that album.)

Talking Heads- Remain in Light (I know it's been mentioned, but it's an absolute masterpiece. Adrian Beleu is unbelievable)

Steve Miller Band- Greatest Hits. (Hard to go wrong with it.)

Santana- Abraxas

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Greatest Hits (It's hard to pick any one Tom Petty album, and this collection is terrific. It's one of those albums that you know EVERY word to before you buy it.)

Led Zeppelin III.. I like the third one best,, showed their range better than any other album, besides "Celebration day" just kicks ass.

Police- Regatta De Blanc.. again, hard to pick one of their albums, but they had to be mentioned. Absolutely awesome and seemingly forgotten band

I'm sure I'll add to this, but that's a good start.

~Bang

Let me add some hip hop to this list

Ready to Die-BIG

Blueprint-Jay-z

Eminem Show-Eminem

Black Star-Black Star (Talib and Mos Def)

Illmatic-Nas

God loves Ugly-Atmosphere

The Cronic-Dre or you can go with 2001

Revolutionary Volume 2-Immortal Technique

Power of the Dolla-50 cent (unreleased, good unlike his released music)

I wish I could remember the name of this Charles Mingus album I used to have. I'd put it right up there with Giant Steps and Kind of Blue. Mingus was a crazy ****. He'd stop a show mid song to fire someone if they missed ONE single note. Talk about a perfectionist.

I think I have most Mingus records, and I think you might be talking about Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. It's not a real live recording, just a simulation of one in the studio, but all kinds of crazed Mingus moments are represented (including telling the bartender not to clink any glasses together or use the cash register). I heart Mingus.

Giant Steps -- John Coltrane (good job, rincewind. I, too, agree that your list was superb)

Love Deluxe -- Sade

With the Tenors of Our Time -- Roy Hargrove

Sons of Soul -- Tony! Toni! Tone!

Nevermind -- Nirvana

Off the Wall -- Michael Jackson

Sign o' the Times -- Prince

Extension of a Man -- Donny Hathaway

Bitter -- Meshell Ndegeocello

Aja -- Steely Dan

Ridin' Dirty -- UGK

We Can't Be Stopped -- Geto Boys

Say what you will,Bash away,

KISS-ALIVE!

Unleashed in the East-Judas Priest

Raven- Live at the Inferno

Black Sabbath-We Sold Our Souls For R-n-R

Blackfoot-Stirkes

Anything by AL DeMeola

Pat Matheny-STILL LIFE (TALKING)

Randy Newman-Sail Away

Ozzy Osbourne-Blizzard of Oz

Ok...here are some that have been missed:

The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds

Queen- A Night at the Opera

Fleetwood Mac-Rumors

The Eagles-Hotel California

B.B. King-Live at the Regal

Etta James-At Last

Buddy Guy-Damn Right I Got the Blues

J. Geils Band- Freeze Frame ("I'm just tryn' to hold it steady while I....)

The Cars-Heartbeat City

The Police-Synchronicity

Missing Persons-Spring Session M

Berlin-Pleasue Victim

Hole-Live Through This

Liz Phair-Supernova

KISS-Destoryer

KISS-Revenge

KISS-Unplugged

Future must have albums?

Franz Ferdinand: Franz Ferdinand & You Could Have it So Much Better

MorningWood: MorningWood

Flyleaf:Flyleaf

:logo:

Hmm. It's always tough for me.

Essentials to me are

Ramones- Rocket to Russia

the Clash- the Clash (I know the genius of London Calling, but good grief their first album was so raw and powerful it still knocks me back.)

Jimi- Band of Gypsies( i know the others are great, but man, this one never fails to totally blow me away.)

U2- Achtung Baby (Hard to choose between this and "War" for me)

The Cure- Disintegration

John Lee Hooker- It Serves You Right to Suffer.. takes you all the way up, and drops you all the way down. Blues incarnate.

Rolling Stones- Let it Bleed, Exile on Main Street, Some Girls.. (I'd even throw Tattoo You in the mix.. a great underrated album)

Stevie Ray Vaughn- Texas Flood

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen- Darkness on the Edge of Town. (Born to run is great, but I always liked Darkness better.)

Johnny Winter And- Live (Absolutely awesome live set with Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer. It's hard to find the full version of the album anymore, though.)

Peter Gabriel- Us (Someone said earlier, I think Om, Peter Gabriel is a friggin' GENIUS, and I love this album, especially "14 black paintings")

Bob Marley Live

The Who Live at Leeds (oh my GOD the power of that album.)

Talking Heads- Remain in Light (I know it's been mentioned, but it's an absolute masterpiece. Adrian Beleu is unbelievable)

Steve Miller Band- Greatest Hits. (Hard to go wrong with it.)

Santana- Abraxas

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Greatest Hits (It's hard to pick any one Tom Petty album, and this collection is terrific. It's one of those albums that you know EVERY word to before you buy it.)

Led Zeppelin III.. I like the third one best,, showed their range better than any other album, besides "Celebration day" just kicks ass.

Police- Regatta De Blanc.. again, hard to pick one of their albums, but they had to be mentioned. Absolutely awesome and seemingly forgotten band

I'm sure I'll add to this, but that's a good start.

~Bang

great list bang, I agree with 80%.

would add

Soul to soul- SRV

I'm Ready- Muddy Waters

Asia- Steely Dan

Bridge of sighs- Robin Trower

Johnny Winter- Johnny Winter

Second Winter- Johnny Winter

Archived