Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins officially Gibbs' Team

Trippster

By the way, comparing the records of the NFL teams since Dan Snyder became owner (again, not including the Browns or the Texans):

Since Snyder became owner:

Cardinals 36-76

Lions 38-74

Bengals 43-69

49ers 45-67

Chargers 47-65

Cowboys 48-64

Saints 48-64

Falcons 49-62-1

Bills 50-62

Bears 51-61

Panthers 52-60

Raiders 54-58

Redskins 54-58

Jets 56-56

Giants 57-55

Vikings 58-54

Jaguars 59-53

Chiefs 60-52

Ravens 62-50

Seahawks 63-49

Dolphins 63-49

Titans 64-48

Packers 65-47

Bucs 65-47

Broncos 67-45

Rams 70-42

Eagles 70-42

Steelers 70-41-1

Patriots 71-41

Colts 77-35

I think this was officially Gibbs' team after finishing 5-0 and winning a playoff game.

Heck, it was probably Gibbs' team after 35-7. (Somehow I suspect that everybody still remembers leaving that stadium after that game.)

('Course, no doubt Coach has pointed out that we didn't win the division.)

The only players "picked" by Spurrier that start are Dock and Thomas.

Samuels and Jansen were picked before Spurrier.

Rock Cartwright?

(I think he was picked under Steve, but maybe he just saw the field more under him.)

Heck, why am I talking about Steve freakin Spurrier!?!

Rock Cartwright?

(I think he was picked under Steve, but maybe he just saw the field more under him.)

Heck, why am I talking about Steve freakin Spurrier!?!

Our starting runningback is Clinton Portis not Rock Cartwright :cool:

Lemar Marshall got his first playing time under Spurrier after being signed to the practice squad or something by Schottenheimer...he was brought up by Spurrier to play, he starts I guess that counts for defense...

Nice thread. This shows me two things. 1. Gibbs is excellent in everything he does. 2. The redskins better start preparing the departure of gibbs because i do not want another 13 year dry spell. Hopefully with the addition of Saunders him and Williams can run the team for years to come, with Williams as the head coach and Saunders as the OC. This all of course is after 3 more rings from Joe

i do not want another 13 year dry spell. Hopefully with the addition of Saunders him and Williams can run the team for years to come, with Williams as the head coach and Saunders as the OC. This all of course is after 3 more rings from Joe

If not 3 for Gibbs, at least one. Coupled with at least at least two under GW.:point2sky

It took him two seasons and three offseasons, but every single player on offense and defense are the players hand selected by Gibbs and Williams. Just take a look at the offense. There is no starter on offense that played for Steve Spurrier his last year here, except for your four offensive linemen where cohesiveness is most important.

It's even more dramatic on defense. There is no starter on defense that played for Steve Spurrier. Everybody's new.

The Redskins now officially are a microcosm of their coach - character driven, smart, team oriented football players. Are you ready for some football?

Uhhh Chris Samuels, Jansen :doh:

But even with that, my point was that you can't say this team is "officially Gibbs' team" by counting roster spots and draft picks.

If I could pick the biggest "thing" the Skins have going for them this year, it's in the things that aren't measurable.

#1, I'd say is that now they're "winners". The "trial by fire" that the team went through at the end of last season, where everybody had to limp into practice on Monday, tough it out on guts for all week, figure out how to play through dings to themselves and teammates, compensate for each other's limitations, fight a hard-fought battle, and win.

Then take a half day off, and do it again.

That, to me, is what's going to make this year different from last year. If that ordeal didn't build a winning, professional work ethic, then we may as well quit now and hire Norv back.

The #2 factor that I think makes this "Joe Gibbs' team" is the way the management is being handled. Everybody on the team knows: Even on the day Joe Gibbs hangs it up, the team will continue. Everybody even knows who will take over when that happens.

Those players who're ticked about having to go through four bosses in five years? Not going to happen again.

This is Gibbs' team, because it's become a professional team again.

Not because of who was drafted when.

Not only has Gibbs turned this team into a preenial looser to a winner but he has set the foundation so that if we simply maintain the continuity even after Gibbs goes we can continue to be a successful team. I think that will be his most important accomplishment, maybe even greater than the (eventual) superbowl he will win :)

Archived