Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins May Have Pick of LBs

CPstretch

"They were so good during free agency that they really don't need a whole lot from this draft," said Gil Brandt, an NFL draft analyst who was the Dallas Cowboys' top personnel man for nearly 30 years. "They've had a very good year, because for what they're looking for this is a full draft. They are going to find a player."

I'd like this more if it wasn't from a former Dallasinian (Dallasite?), but that was a happy little blurb there.

From what I've read, OLB Thomas Howard seems like the best option for us at LB should we go that route. He seems like he was born to play for Greg Williams. He'll do more for our starting defense than probably any player we could draft.

But I'd still prefer a CB since depth at that position is just too important.

From what I've read, OLB Thomas Howard seems like the best option for us at LB should we go that route. He seems like he was born to play for Greg Williams. He'll do more for our starting defense than probably any player we could draft.

But I'd still prefer a CB since depth at that position is just too important.

so you would draft a CB for depth with our 1st pick when we have a need for a starter @ LB? did you forget all the big plays warrick holdman gave up last year?

so you would draft a CB for depth with our 1st pick when we have a need for a starter @ LB?

The CB would be mostly for depth being that it's only April. But since I don't have much confidence in Kenny Wright, a rookie CB could find himself seeing significant action sooner rather than later. An injury to a starter makes that a certainty.

In this defense, sub-par performance from the CBs has a ripple effect that changes the entire philosophy of the defense from attacking to defending. We saw that last season early on. On the other hand, whether Holdman, McCune, or a rookie is starting/performing isn't going to make or break the unit IMO.

This reinforces the saying--you use free agency to fill needs--you use the draft to acquire talent.
That is certainly there plan, and it has worked pretty well the past couple of years with the FA's brought in, lets hope that continues. As far as a LB in the draft the Thomas kid would be a project but we already have that type of player in Clemons. Clemons would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder if he would have stayed in school 1 more year. He is fast and can rush the edge, as we all have seen, but can he cover and play a proper zone when asked? I guess we will see....

Here is a bio on that Keiaho kid, he looks like maybe a 5th round target, only started his senior season

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/freddykeiaho.html

That is certainly there plan, and it has worked pretty well the past couple of years with the FA's brought in, lets hope that continues. As far as a LB in the draft the Thomas kid would be a project but we already have that type of player in Clemons. Clemons would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder if he would have stayed in school 1 more year. He is fast and can rush the edge, as we all have seen, but can he cover and play a proper zone when asked? I guess we will see....

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/freddykeiaho.html

Howard seems a lot more like a bigger Lemar Marshall than Chris Clemons. Clemons is a converted DE. Howard, like LM, is a converted DB.

in today's NFL you look for starters in free agency and the draft :)

a guy taken in round 1 or round 2 is expected to be competing for a starting job his first year in the NFL.

so, that's why teams in the draft now take players to fill needs not merely to stockpile talent at positions where they already have coverage.

the Redskins don't have quality backups on the OL. that's one reason I thought OL might be an outside choice if the top LBs the team was looking for were off the board.

ditto at corner where Ade Jimoh is a special teamer and the team would be in trouble again if we had backfield injuries and only Kenny Wright to plug in.

you really need FOUR corners who can play in the NFL. Jimoh is still mostly a special teams player.

I don't know whether Christian Morton or Dimitri Patterson are really in the team's plans for development or are strictly camp fodder.

Speaking of the pick of LB's, we just recently re-signed Holdman for about 750k right? The Carolina Panthers got Na'il Diggs for 585k.

Diggs is 27..career best year was 02 with 84 tkls and 3 sacks, also had 80+ tackles in 03 and 04...was injured a few games last year and only had 31

Holdman is 30..career year was 01 with 97 tkls and 2 sacks, also had 71 tkls in 03 and 76 tkls in 04...was a part time starter for us last year and had 23 tkls

I am not questioning this move, I love GW but we could have got a player closer to his prime, much cheaper, so....Which one if you had your choice would you have signed?

A few tidbits of news also.....

Giants | Poston says deal with Arrington close

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:46:37 -0700

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com's John Clayton reports agent Carl Poston confirmed the New York Giants are close to reaching a contract agreement with free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins). Poston wasn't sure if a deal was going to be completed by Friday night, April 21, but he said negotiations between Arrington and the Giants were close to getting done and should be completed soon. "Antonio Pierce really made a push to get the Giants to bring LaVar to New York," Poston said. "It's a good fit. It would be great to have LaVar in the New York market." Terms of any detail weren't available. The Miami Dolphins had a $5 million a year offer on the table. Arrington was hoping to get a deal in the $7.5 million a year range.

Rams | Groom signed

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:37:53 -0700

Nick Wagoner, of StLouisRams.com, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/34/nfl">St. Louis Rams have signed free agent P Andy Groom (Redskins) to a contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bears | R. Manning offer sheet update

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:36:45 -0700

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the offer sheet CB Ricky Manning Jr. (Panthers) signed with the Chicago Bears is a five-year deal that can be worth as much as $21 million. He would receive about $7.5 million over the next year.

This last one is a note because I think Chicago was targeting a corner with #26. So if this offer sheet stands then they may look to move out of the first round in a possible trade with us.

I'm with Dirk on this one...we gotta be thinking CB.

We have young athletic LB's on the team already.

With competition and everyone being a year older & wiser, I really think we have our starter already on the payroll.

So if you can buy into that thinking, then the needs are down to CB & OL.

I think the demands of a top flight CB gets priority over depth at OL.

Nobody wants to start a rookie corner in this league, so we better start grooming

a replacement for Springs THIS year and give them ample opportunity to grow.

While I believe we could go either way in the second round, I think CB is a better selection at 53. We do need somebody to come in for the nickel spot. Somebody with potential to become a starter. I have a gut feeling that our starting WLB is already on the roster. We just re-signed our backup, so we could possibly stand pat at least for this season.

The CB would be mostly for depth being that it's only April. But since I don't have much confidence in Kenny Wright, a rookie CB could find himself seeing significant action sooner rather than later. An injury to a starter makes that a certainty.

In this defense, sub-par performance from the CBs has a ripple effect that changes the entire philosophy of the defense from attacking to defending. We saw that last season early on. On the other hand, whether Holdman, McCune, or a rookie is starting/performing isn't going to make or break the unit IMO.

Exactly :applause: :applause:

The title of this WP article is a little misleading. The Skins are NOT going to have their pick of the LB's or the pick of the litter. Thomas Howard will not last until the 53rd pick of the 2nd round.

However, the Skins will be able to get a good LB from the leftovers with that 53rd pick. Although I think they will obtain another, higher draft pick to take a CB.

Archived