Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins May Have Pick of LBs

CPstretch

I am starting to think O-line. There would be several good lineman at #53 who will start and excel when one of our guys goes down. Jansen's lose killed Gibbs first year and after Thomas went down so did our offense.

I would also prefer not to trade anymore picks so that next year we would be able to draft depth at three spots.

We will see next weekend.

Do you guys think we should move Lemar Marshall back to OLB and draft a MLB or keep Marshall the commander of our defense

depends on who we could get, but id rather keep lemar in the middle- hes doing a good job. as for LB or CB, i think if we got another 2nd round or 3rd round pick this year we could draft a solid player at both of those positions. you can make arguments either way for which position is more important, but you know a rookie is not going to start right away in GW's system. he kept ST out as long as he could, and rogers only started last year cuz of injury.

Do you guys think we should move Lemar Marshall back to OLB and draft a MLB or keep Marshall the commander of our defense

Move Lemar back to weak side, absolutely not. Here's my reason, Lemar is entering his third season in this D and second as starting MLB. Gregg Williams needs a MLB that can control the front seven and make proper adjustments throughout the course of a game. I'm not sure if a rookie is going to be that comfortable making the calls in the huddle and then be forceful, or smart, enough to move Griff, Big Joe, and Marcus into proper position seconds before the snap, assuming a rookie would even be able to breakdown what play is coming in the 5 seconds prior to making the defensive adjustments.

Solid DB play might be what makes the D go but outstanding MLB is the most important overall position on the D.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

We're ONLY thinking corner if we intend to move Jimoh to safety, which is plausible. We like the flex safety who has cover skills and can still hold down the safety spot. Clark and Prioleau are samples of that. Taylor is another and remains the only safety you'll see lined up in press coverage on receivers during the year -- though only in some situations. If we go corner, it's because Jimoh is seen as the fourth safety in my view, because right now, our biggest lack of depth is at safety.

so you would draft a CB for depth with our 1st pick when we have a need for a starter @ LB? did you forget all the big plays warrick holdman gave up last year?

If Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers didn't earn starting spots until mid way through their rookie years, what makes you think a rookie LB, #53 overall, is going to beat out 3 guys that have multiple years running in the D? This pick will be made on future potential rather then immediate impact.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

We're ONLY thinking corner if we intend to move Jimoh to safety

not true man. if anyone gets injured, we suddenly become very weak at corner. especially since GW uses so many. i only feel comfortable with 4 solid cornerbacks on the roster- anything less and were vulnerable

If Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers didn't earn starting spots until mid way through their rookie years, what makes you think a rookie LB, #53 overall, is going to beat out 3 guys that have multiple years running in the D? This pick will be made on future potential rather then immediate impact.

exactly

We're ONLY thinking corner if we intend to move Jimoh to safety, which is plausible. We like the flex safety who has cover skills and can still hold down the safety spot. Clark and Prioleau are samples of that. Taylor is another and remains the only safety you'll see lined up in press coverage on receivers during the year -- though only in some situations. If we go corner, it's because Jimoh is seen as the fourth safety in my view, because right now, our biggest lack of depth is at safety.

Art, I am interested in knowing what position and what player we pick first in the draft?

Art, I am interested in knowing what position and what player we pick first in the draft?

The Redskins won't know what position and what player they are picking until the pick. The team doesn't typically target a position or player in the draft after the first round so much as they take the best player they think is available when they pick. A few years ago I know Cerrato was hot for Portis, but the Broncos took him before us, so we traded down. This year, I imagine you could see us seeing a player a few spots above where we pick that we really want and we could move up to get him.

I do think corner is going to be the way we go with the first pick as I envision Jimoh switching from fifth corner to fourth safety in the equation.

The Redskins won't know what position and what player they are picking until the pick. The team doesn't typically target a position or player in the draft after the first round so much as they take the best player they think is available when they pick. A few years ago I know Cerrato was hot for Portis, but the Broncos took him before us, so we traded down. This year, I imagine you could see us seeing a player a few spots above where we pick that we really want and we could move up to get him.

I do think corner is going to be the way we go with the first pick as I envision Jimoh switching from fifth corner to fourth safety in the equation.

I appreciate your insight. I for one am a big Cromartie fan. I think we can move up enough to get him, but at a price. I believe that if we trade next years 1st round along with this years 2nd round pick he can be ours. To me his is the Sean Taylor of corners in this year's draft. Some NFL experts have compared his future talent to that of Deion Saunders.

I could see us trading next year's 2nd round pick to acquire a pick in the 3rd round for the WLB we need as well. This is one of the best drafts for LB's that I have seen in years. My :2cents:

Nobody gives Jimoh enough credit. He actually played pretty well when he came in last year. Jimoh has talent and athletic skills, and now he's got a couple of seasons with Williams under his belt. I think Jimoh could develop into a good player. With Springs, Rogers, and Wright, I like how we look at corner.

I hope the team will use their higher picks on the oline. Buges needs to stock up on some new hogs.

I think skins are going to simply get the best player available according to their projections in that slot. As far as needs go, I agree with most everybody else. I see the most pressing need at CB. We just do not have enough depth there. LBs would be nice, but we already have some LB projects on the roster. I don't see the need for a TE at the 53rd pick. But again, if a top flight TE they like drops there, I'm sure they will jump on him. I see later picks as project DL and OL as well as possibly some diamond in the rough type TE or LB

Nobody gives Jimoh enough credit. He actually played pretty well when he came in last year. Jimoh has talent and athletic skills, and now he's got a couple of seasons with Williams under his belt. I think Jimoh could develop into a good player. With Springs, Rogers, and Wright, I like how we look at corner.

I agree. I like Jimoh and his versatility. I also think Wright is more solid than people are giving him credit for. He is a physical starting caliber corner used as our 3rd CB. Rogers is athletic and physical. Springs is playing like a pro bowler. Both Springs and Wright are getting up in years though, so drafting a corner for the future might be wise. Than again, the way the skins work in free agency, developing a corner might not be a pressing issue.

If we did go corner in the draft, both Griffin and Jennings are enticing. Griffin is in the physical big hitter mold, while Jennings is the speedy leave one on one cover guy.

I say package some picks for Cromartie. We can depart with next years first and third, along with some late day picks and still keep our #53 pick. If Cromartie is off the board by the like 17-20 pick then i say we trade up to early 2nd and take either Howard or Kiwanuka with that pick and Griffin at #53.

The Redskins won't know what position and what player they are picking until the pick. The team doesn't typically target a position or player in the draft after the first round so much as they take the best player they think is available when they pick.QUOTE]

Let's not forget that the Redskins traded a future pick to move into the third round to draft Chris Cooley.

Joe Gibbs wanted Cooley and he was one of the only players who wasn't projected to go in the first round that the Redskins brought in for a work out and interview prior to the draft. He was a target.

So the question is, should we look at this year's draft in reverse? Since we don't have 1st round pick this year, if all the players we've brought in are targeted to go in the first round should we then assume we're moving up to take a particular player?

I don't think so. If we had only brought in one player that was targeted to go in the first round then I would think we would be moving up, but the fact that we've brought in so many, tells me we're not hot for any one guy. :2cents:

Archived