Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel's new Mock (Mathias Kiwanuka over D'Qwell?)

mo9763

Kiper's new mock draft has Mathias Kiwanuka dropping to the bottom of the second round. Would you take him over D'Qwell and Abdul Hodge if they were all available at 53?

33. Houston Eric Winston, T Miami

34. New Orleans Nick Mangold, C Ohio St.

35. N.Y. Jets Joseph Addai, RB LSU

36. Green Bay Tamba Hali, DE Penn St.

37. San Francisco Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio St.

38. Oakland Gabe Watson, DT Michigan

39. Tennessee D'Qwell Jackson, LB Maryland

40. Detroit Davin Joseph, G Oklahoma

41. Arizona Leonard Pope, TE Georgia

42. Buffalo Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, G USC

43. Cleveland Abdul Hodge, LB Iowa

44. Baltimore Brodie Croyle, QB Alabama

45. Philadelphia DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama

46. St. Louis Orien Harris, DT Miami

47. Atlanta Cedric Griffin, CB Texas

48. Minnesota Kellen Clemens, QB Oregon

49. Dallas Marcus McNeill, T Auburn

50. San Diego Demetrius Williams, WR Oregon

51. Minnesota (from MIA) Chris Chester, OL Oklahoma

52. New England Brian Calhoun, RB Wisconsin

53. Washington Rocky McIntosh, LB Miami

54. Kansas City Darryl Tapp, DE Virginia Tech

55. Cincinnati Dominique Byrd, TE USC

56. N.Y. Giants Thomas Howard, LB UTEP

57. Chicago Greg Jennings, WR Western Michigan

58. Carolina Joe Klopfenstein, TE Colorado

59. Tampa Bay Andrew Whitworth, T LSU

60. Jacksonville Jason Spitz, C Louisville

61. Denver Mark Anderson, DE Alabama

62. Indianapolis Daniel Bullocks, DB Nebraska

63. Seattle Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College

64. Pittsburgh Danieal Manning, DB Abilene Christian

I think we might need depth at CB. Overall I feel when draft day comes we won't have to pick from a watered down position, we can take the best player available...most likely in our case a linebacker, corner, or defensive end

Kiwanuka didn't really look that good at the senior bowl when I was watching, plus with Carter and now Evans coming back we have alright depth at DE, maybe someone to Back-up Big Joe and Griffin in the middle, but not an outside rusher

I think the most interesting thing about this mock is the amount of talent in the late 3rd, early 4th area. If it plays out like this, we should really consider moving into that area to grab someone like Darnell Bing, Rodrique Wright, Babatunde Oshinowo, John McCargo, Jon Scott, or Jeremy Trueblood...

Any of those guys would be GREAT depth for this team.

BTW, this is the reason it's not necessarily good to just throw draft picks around all the time. All those guys have a great shot to be solid players in the league. Before I get ripped, let me say that I love our offseason acquisitions. It's just that if we had been a little more frugal with our pick trading, we could have had one of these guys at no cost.

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/p/gabewatson.htm

Gabe Watson

2006 NFL Draft Prospect

from Nick Schiel

Positional Rankings: QB RB FB WR TE OT OG C - DE DT ILB OLB S CB - K P

Position: Defensive Tackle

School: Michigan

Height: 6-4

Weight: 335

40-Yard Dash: 5.10(est)

Positives:

When most people look at defensive lineman, they look for sacks. Watson isn't that kind of player. He is a run stopper. At 6'4 and 335 pounds, he is a whale of a man who stuffs the interior of the line. His big body is hard to get around and creates big problems for smaller guards and centers.

Watson constantly attracts double teams, which helps the players around him. He's one of the strongest tackles in the country. A 3-year (soon to be 4-year) letter winner at Michigan. Played against big-time competition and great offensive lines in the Big Ten (Iowa and OSU). Won't cause problems off the field.

Negatives:

Watson is not very fast or agile. He won't get up field quickly, and recorded just 1.5 sacks in his career. He has started only 11 games at Michigan prior to the '05 season even though he wasn't redshirted. Needs some polish and to make better reads on plays. As of right now he more of a two gap tackle. Could be a one gap if he sheds a few pounds.

Overview:

With more teams switching to a 3-4 defense I could really see him going top ten in April. A team like the Browns could really use him in their defense. He is stronger than Rodrique Wright but not as agile. Watson is most comparable to Casey Hampton.

I think we could have a great run stopping DT! We could have a young and powerful Joe Salvea on our hands.

If Kiwi is there I pray we pass on him...the guy has got bust written all over his face. I'd take Tapp over him. MacIntosh would be the right choice there.

What do you guys base this off of? I didn't watch the Senior Bowl but someone else mentioned that he didn't do well. He looked great in the games I saw - even though it was only a few. What happened that made him slip ? I thought he was a 1st round pick at one point. I need to keep up on all the draft stuff!

What do you guys base this off of? I didn't watch the Senior Bowl but someone else mentioned that he didn't do well. He looked great in the games I saw - even though it was only a few. What happened that made him slip ? I thought he was a 1st round pick at one point. I need to keep up on all the draft stuff!

Basically I am going off his sudden drop into the late second round. Its obvious NFL scouts don't think too much of him. I'd rather go with a more stable prospect.

Plenty of great talent around even in the second round. I wish we had more picks, especially in the 3rd and 4th!!

Can someone post the first round mock too? Just want to see how the first round looks like at this point.

i like the machintosh... but the DT & CB positions i believe we need to upgrade... springs can't player forever... as for linebacker , i like who we have... but the best kepts secret is the AHMAD BROOKS... Does any one no if his name has been mentioned... i no he has been dismissed from UVA!

I would take him. He has talent. Daniels and Wynn are old. If Kiwi will take 1-2 seasons to develop well, that would be perfect as Daniels and Wynn will probably be gone in 2 seasons. In that 1-2 season span, Kiwi can bulk up to become the run stuffer, and if Carter is as good as they claim, a Kiwi Carter duo could become pretty deadly, maybe the return of Manley/Mann?

Guest santana4prez

I think Mathias Kiwanuka would be a great pick for the Skins b/c I dont think 1 game says that he is going to be a bust.

Kiwanuka was a top 10 projection for this draft before the start of last season and he had a great career. That Senior Bowl game was 1 game.

I would take Kiwanuka over DQwell b/c I think alot of Maryland fans overhype him on this board and the Skins have Clemons and Mccune to compete for the OLB position. I have wanted the Skins to draft a DE for years and the fact that Daniels and Wynn are getting older even though they have some good years left in them. Id take Tapp as well over DQwell.:2cents:

I'm worried about Rabach ... the more I think this Draft the more I like trading up and grabbing Mangold ... reputedly the best Center to come out in the last 10 years. And he could probably provide depth at Guard as well. Any thoughts Kiperites ....?

Archived