Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Music downloaders READ THIS

jbooma

I just heard from my wifes friend that her brother and wife recieved a bill from BMG and other huge Music companies saying that the owe them 4K in damages do to illegally downloading music. Now this couple did not sell or distribute just took it from others and sites.

The problem is if they get a lawyer to fight it the lawyer wants 5K upfront, so it is a lose-lose situation.

They were not heavy downloaders like others I know. Curious if anyone on this site has been contacted yet.

my wifes uncle once got a letter from columbia pictures in regards to all the movies he downloaded. adelphia cut his service off after they contacted them.

but i'm not a downloader. i use napster, but not much, and that should be safe. i'm very curious to see if anyone else has heard of this.

Ive got contacted to cease all d/l of movies by Lionsgate Entertainment and to cease sharing immediately or i'd be sued.So i finished the d/l i had going and just stay away from lions gate entertainment lol. Peer Guardian helps block illegal access to your pc. Is a good program. Cant see music companies billing them though. Sounds kinda odd. Usually you get a letter from a lawyer first and or warning from your isp that your being watched. Disregard the bill. I would. Sounds like a scam of some sort to me.

my wifes uncle once got a letter from columbia pictures in regards to all the movies he downloaded. adelphia cut his service off after they contacted them.

but i'm not a downloader. i use napster, but not much, and that should be safe. i'm very curious to see if anyone else has heard of this.

as long is it is the new napster, not the old

Ive got contacted to cease all d/l of movies by Lionsgate Entertainment and to cease sharing immediately or i'd be sued.So i finished the d/l i had going and just stay away from lions gate entertainment lol. Peer Guardian helps block illegal access to your pc. Is a good program. Cant see music companies billing them though. Sounds kinda odd. Usually you get a letter from a lawyer first and or warning from your isp that your being watched. Disregard the bill. I would. Sounds like a scam of some sort to me.

the music and movie companies are working with all the major internet providers, whatever company you use comcast, cox, verizon, etc... all know exactly what you download :) it is not a scam

Didnt say it was, said it sounded like it. Like said usually you get a letter from a law firm telling you your being sued, not a bill from a recording company. I've gotten 2 letters, one from a law firm in regards to lions gate entertainment, and one for sony entertainment, both just threats to cease d/l and sharing their copyrighted materials. If i didnt then i would be sued for copyright infringement. If it was me, unless it was a letter from a law firm i would disregard it. I would not send noone 4k because they said i d/l their music.They would have to sue my ass first to get it.

Didnt say it was, said it sounded like it. Like said usually you get a letter from a law firm telling you your being sued, not a bill from a recording company. I've gotten 2 letters, one from a law firm in regards to lions gate entertainment, and one for sony entertainment, both just threats to cease d/l and sharing their copyrighted materials. If i didnt then i would be sued for copyright infringement. If it was me, unless it was a letter from a law firm i would disregard it. I would not send noone 4k because they said i d/l their music.They would have to sue my ass first to get it.

The letter could have been from a law firm, do not know who contacted them. I just found out today :)

If it was a bill and then the person refused to pay then it would ruin your credit. It is hard to gamble in cases like this, and they have to decide is spending 5K worth enough to challenge the claim, that is hard.

From my friends who are lawyers they are staying out of these cases because the music companies have all the power and proof right now. Everyone was laughing at the expense of the big companies, now they are.

Stay away from places like limeshare. Go to torrents. If you dont know what a torrent is search for it read up on it and start d/l from torrent sites. Much better safer and harder to detect.Little harder to configure the clients but much better d/l speeds and a lot safer. But with anything there is still a risk.

there are a few ways to avoid running into this problem....for starters, the law passed on this issue says you must download and share at least 1500 files to be eligible for the penalties. i myself have downloaded only 200 or so, so i'm not worried about it, and i don't share my files, so i'm exempt. secondly, if you use morpheus, you have nothing to worry about, because it is firewalled, and the companies have no access to who is getting what, including IP addresses:D

there are a few ways to avoid running into this problem....for starters, the law passed on this issue says you must download and share at least 1500 files to be eligible for the penalties. i myself have downloaded only 200 or so, so i'm not worried about it, and i don't share my files, so i'm exempt. secondly, if you use morpheus, you have nothing to worry about, because it is firewalled, and the companies have no access to who is getting what, including IP addresses:D

I will find out how many they did download, there not sharing though which caught them off guard.

I will find out how many they did download, there not sharing though which caught them off guard.

not sharing, according to the law, makes them exempt, they should definitely look into that....then again, if they use kazaa, limewire, or ares, then they're screwed, because they make you share even if you don't want to or think you aren't

they can also save all the files on disk, and erase them from their hard drive, and turn the disks over to bmg, and they will not have to pay the fine

Not a scam I don't think.

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/8273

BMG did win that case last year about filesharing. That and right now it appears Europe is the target of the newes wave of lawsuits being filed.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060404-6520.html

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) announced today, with great fanfare, that they are launching nearly 2,000 new legal actions against individuals accused of sharing copyrighted music over P2P services, including FastTrack (Kazaa), Gnutella (BearShare), eDonkey, DirectConnect, BitTorrent, Limewire, WinMX, and SoulSeek.

The lawsuits follow a familiar script: the individual is served with legal notices, followed by threats of further action, and finally ended with a cash settlement. In the press release, the IFPI states that the average settlement in Europe is €2633.

IFPI claims that the people targeted by the lawsuits are not casual downloaders but massive uploaders: people who make hundreds or thousands of songs available for others to access

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=22460

LONDON, UK (IFPI) - Nearly 2,000 cases launched in ten countries

- Finnish carpenter, French chef and British postman among those caught

- File-sharers face automatic disconnection after court judgement

- Parents warned they could be liable for children'sonline activities

- Three million cut-back or stop their illegal file-sharing

Illegal music file-sharers across the world face a fresh wave of legal actions today as the recording industry announces an escalation of its campaign against digital music piracy. The latest actions come with a new warning to parents to check what their children are doing online as they could face financial penalties if their children access illegal material.

IFPI and its affiliate national bodies are today announcing nearly 2,000 new legal cases against individuals uploading large amounts of copyrighted music and are extending actions to Portugal, where the legal market has been devastated by the impact of illegal file-sharing.

Hundreds of people have already paid the price for illegally file-sharing copyrighted material, with average legal settlements of Euro 2,633.

not sharing, according to the law, makes them exempt, they should definitely look into that....then again, if they use kazaa, limewire, or ares, then they're screwed, because they make you share even if you don't want to or think you aren't

they can also save all the files on disk, and erase them from their hard drive, and turn the disks over to bmg, and they will not have to pay the fine

That makes since, even though they did not think they were sharing the software does for them. Thanks for that info :cheers:

Extreme,

You seem to know a lot about this. Have you been involved in one of these cases? Also, if there is a good resource on these facts, would you mind posting a link?

Danke

my sister got busted using kazaa and ares........i'll try to find a link

This is dumb... people are just going to move to "darknets" (communities where you have to register), IRC, or USENET.

Currently I've found Usenet is the best and easiest way for me to download... furthermore, it is hosted directly from my ISP so I easily can get 5X faster download speed. A lot of times I don't even get the DiVX file, but they upload a straight DVD rip.

Someone explain to me why ISPs are not liable when they are hosting the files?

This is the ultimate video on demand.

Someone explain to me why ISPs are not liable when they are hosting the files?

i always thought this was BS too, so i called and asked......they "claim" it's because hackers can get into the system and hijack info, rendering them helpless to prevent a hacker from "posing"......wtf? they can do this to private users too, but we can be held liable? the system sucks, they need to either get rid of all of it or legalize all of it, it's too biased right now and they should change it.

i always thought this was BS too, so i called and asked......they "claim" it's because hackers can get into the system and hijack info, rendering them helpless to prevent a hacker from "posing"......wtf? they can do this to private users too, but we can be held liable? the system sucks, they need to either get rid of all of it or legalize all of it, it's too biased right now and they should change it.

There is another reason, cost. If they were to make ISP's liable then rates would go up and we would be screwed. They provide a service it is the users taking advantage of the service not the other way around.

yeh, there have been cases about this, ISP's just provide a service, we as users take advantage of it, and are the ones still doing the illegal act by downloading or whatever.

Why not get mad at cable/satellite companies who give out DVR's? One could just use those to make and sell copies of a show or movie, which is illegal.

Archived