Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Favre to Annouce His Plans Saturday

jimster

Packers' Favre to Announce His Plans Saturday Morning

http://sports.iwon.com/news/04072006/v6979.html

Apr 7, 6:56 PM (ET) Email this Story

By CHRIS JENKINS

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Brett Favre has scheduled a Saturday morning news conference, where he is expected to announce whether he'll return to play for the Green Bay Packers this season.

Becky Stuart, a personal assistant to the Favre family, confirmed that the news conference would be held at Favre's charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss.

In a story in Friday's Green Bay Press-Gazette, Favre said that he told general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy earlier this week that he may have a decision by the weekend or early next week.

"I want to do what's best, obviously, for me and my family," he said. "But regardless of what people might think, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the team. I don't want to do that. I think that the people that know me, including those in the organization, know that."

Favre, who spoke with the Press-Gazette reporter at his golf tournament, said he wouldn't want to play for anyone but the Packers, who finished 4-12 last season, Favre's only losing one in Green Bay.

The 36-year-old Favre, who would be entering his 16th season in the NFL, still feels he can play but said last season rattled his confidence a bit.

"I had a lot of chances to pull us out of the fire last year and I didn't do it," he said.

Favre said he wouldn't return just to collect his $10 million salary or to try to break more records. If that were the case, he said, he already would have made his decision.

"That's sort of my dilemma right now. If I felt like we really could compete for the Super Bowl, I would come back. Or am I coming back just to play and to have fun, and in the process maybe we lose," he said. "Last year was no fun for the fans or for the players, and nobody wants to go through that again."

Favre said he has concerns about the team's offensive line, which struggled last season after the departure of stalwart guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera to free agency.

"From a coach's standpoint, you have to say the right things, that we'll be competitive and we'll win, and I truly believe Mike McCarthy will do a fine job," he said. "But really, what have we done to replace the guys that we've lost on the line?"

Favre said McCarthy isn't letting uncertainty about his star quarterback affect his preparation, which includes getting Aaron Rodgers, the team's first-round draft pick last season, ready to start.

Favre said his greatest dilemma is figuring out whether he can get up the energy to have fun, something he didn't have last season.

"It means something to come back and be there, but to come back and be that dominant player, which I wasn't last year. I never blamed it on other guys before and I won't do it now," he said. "I don't want it to be like, 'At one time he was good. He should've retired. He stuck around one year too long.' That wouldn't be fair to anyone."

yeah thank god, this is by far the most annoying story of the entire offseason, ive lost so much respect for favre....he's waiting to see what the packers do with free agents...blahblahblah...like they can sign anyone to even get them to .500...

I'm so tired of hearing about Favre and his plans. He's not exactly helped the Packers with all this waffling. Thank goodness he's finally making a decision so we can stop hearing about this.

Favre is yesterday's news. He was a great qb and will be a HOF lock. But right now for 2006 what he does and what the Packers do is largely going to be back page material. Green Bay with or without Favre is looking at a losing season and a rebuilding process.

:doh: Ugh, that's true. I hadn't thought of that. If you think the football pundits kiss Favre's ass now, just wait. NFL Network will probably be Favre Network for a week and a half.

Yeah but if he doesn't retire he'll be a story ALL SEASON LONG. Then when he does retire, we'll still have to put up with the Favre Network for a few weeks.

".....But regardless of what people might think, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the team.

Dear Brett, I believe you have already done that assuming you retire. GB has lost out on most of the FA QB's for this year!

What an attention whore who cares if he plays or not? The Bears will win that division again and Favre will be old news by this time next year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The man can't announce it during the playoffs, free agency or during CBA talks. He has to do it when all of that is done but the draft is still a few weeks away making sure he has the sole spotlight. IMO, if I were green bay I would have made the decision for him so I could find a suitable temporary vet in free agency until Rodgers was ready.

Attention whore or not, I like Brett and how he plays the game. Having said that, I hope he retires; one of my good friends is a Packers fan and said that if Favre retires he's switching over to the Redskins cuz I've been shoving them down his throat for 10 years.

--edit....Favre just came up to the podium...

wow....doesn't sound like he's decided yet. Hearing from Brett, it sounds like there might have been some confusion as to when he was actually going to decide and announce it... He needs to do it quick so the Packers aren't left hanging.

Archived