Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1987 Redskins

Gracelander

Just wanted to pass this on to those that care, Espn Classic will be showing the 1987 Redskins Yearbook at 5:30am this morning. I know it's late notice for most people, but just wanted to let ya know.

:eaglesuck

Sorry I missed it, that would have been awesome to watch.

I have that game on tape and I watch it from time to time. I was over to m relatives house when I actually watched that Super Bowl. I never forget jumping up yelling when Ricky Sanders scored the Skins 1st TD. Well my cousin's dog jumped up at the same time that I did and bit me on the knee. He made a whole in my gold sweats that I had on that day. I was pissed. It kinda took away from my moment of celebrating.

I recorded it when it was on earlier this week. One of the best Redskin games EVER! Doug Williams man, that guy is a true champion. To get injured and come back and have the kind of game he had is nothing short of amazing. I still get goose bumps when I watch that game. Absolutely beautiful.

Where's Ricky Sanders? :laugh:

I recorded it when it was on earlier this week. One of the best Redskin games EVER! Doug Williams man, that guy is a true champion. To get injured and come back and have the kind of game he had is nothing short of amazing. I still get goose bumps when I watch that game. Absolutely beautiful.

Where's Ricky Sanders? :laugh:

I think one of the biggest plays in that game happened after the Broncos scored to make it 10-0. On the ensuing kickoff, we fumbled the ball, and it looked like the Broncos recovered, but a huge pile ensued and somehow we wrestled the ball back.....the rest was history....but I don't know what kind of state of mind our team would have been in had Denver recovered that ball

Seems like I've seen that yearbook, and they mostly glossed over the real turmoil of the quarterback situation. The Schroeder vs. Williams saga was really front and center practically the entire season. A lot of people thought Gibbs had lost his mind with the way he went back and forth between the two QBs. Ramsey vs. Brunell pales in comparison.

Admittedly, I was in the Schroeder camp. He was wildly inconsistant, but he was a big play machine and seemed to come up with them at crucial times. He might have had the strongest arm I've ever seen. He was fairly moble and could really launch the ball on the run. Reading defenses was coming along slowly for him, and he forced the ball downfield too often, especially into zone coverages. But Schroeder was a winner, despite his ups and downs. Including the '87 regular season and the '86 playoffs, Schroeder was 21-7 as a starting quarterback. He was also 2-0 when he came in to relieve the starter with a deficit.

Williams, by contrast, Williams was only 3-3 as a starter for the Redskins during the '87 regular season. He was a more "efficient" passer than Schoeder, but the offense sputtered and lagged with Williams pulling the trigger. The debate over Brunell's play reminded me--uncannily--of Williams. Williams had a 94 passer rating and a 11/5 TD to INT ratio. Yet something was missing. The offense frequently struggled to score and move the ball consistantly with Williams under center, despite his "efficiency." (Sound familiar????)

Anyway, I thought Gibbs made the wrong decision when he went with Williams for the playoffs. However, when I saw how the team responded to his leadership and how Schroeder openly pouted after his benching, I realized it was the right decision.

The more things change ...

I think one of the biggest plays in that game happened after the Broncos scored to make it 10-0. On the ensuing kickoff, we fumbled the ball, and it looked like the Broncos recovered, but a huge pile ensued and somehow we wrestled the ball back.....the rest was history....but I don't know what kind of state of mind our team would have been in had Denver recovered that ball

There were three fortuitous things that happened in that game to help turn the momentum, or to at least not make it worse. You mentioned one.

The other two were the missed FG by the Broncos at the end of the 1st quarter, and the non-fumble call on Williams on the play he got injured. Regarding the latter, he'd dropped back to pass on around our 35 yard line and on an odd glide-step he'd slipped and twisted his knee. As he was going down wincing in pain, he simply let go of the ball - there'd been no contact and he was not yet down. A Broncos player recovered the ball. The officials ruled, however, that he'd effectively surrendered himself on the play and was therefore down. An odd/rare ruling to say the least.

It probably could have been as controversial as the infamous "tuck rule" game had the outcome of SB XXII been closer.

Ive been wanting to catch something like that for a long time now. Anyway, I missed that one so i took the liberty of checking their schedule as far as it will go. They seem to do a lot more cowgirls and philly season highlights but all was forgiven when I saw that we get a historic conference championship.

ESPN Classic Redskins:

-Saturday April 22, 11AM 1983 Washington Redskins

-Sunday April 30, 2:30PM 1983 NFC Championship 49ers vs Redskins

-Tuesday May 16, 5:30AM 1990 Washington Redskins

Enjoy! :cheers:

Anyway, I thought Gibbs made the wrong decision when he went with Williams for the playoffs. However, when I saw how the team responded to his leadership and how Schroeder openly pouted after his benching, I realized it was the right decision.

i thought they went with schroeder in the playoffs and the only reason williams was even playing in the bowl was because schroeder got hurt in the first quarter?

What a year! Doug Williams get hurt, then sets the place on fire! It was an beautifull thing to see. At first, everyone thought it was over, Denver up by 10, Williams hurt, then scores 28 points in one quarter! Those were the good ole days, that's for sure.

What a year! Doug Williams get hurt, then sets the place on fire! It was an beautifull thing to see. At first, everyone thought it was over, Denver up by 10, Williams hurt, then scores 28 points in one quarter! Those were the good ole days, that's for sure.

It was actually 35 points in that quarter. Two TD's to Sanders, one to clark, one to didier, and the long Timmy Smith Run

There were three fortuitous things that happened in that game to help turn the momentum, or to at least not make it worse. You mentioned one.

The other two were the missed FG by the Broncos at the end of the 1st quarter, and the non-fumble call on Williams on the play he got injured. Regarding the latter, he'd dropped back to pass on around our 35 yard line and on an odd glide-step he'd slipped and twisted his knee. As he was going down wincing in pain, he simply let go of the ball - there'd been no contact and he was not yet down. A Broncos player recovered the ball. The officials ruled, however, that he'd effectively surrendered himself on the play and was therefore down. An odd/rare ruling to say the least.

It probably could have been as controversial as the infamous "tuck rule" game had the outcome of SB XXII been closer.

That was a curious play. I remember his leg going out in like a split, and he just rolled over and let the ball go. Never understood how the refs made that call, and I agree, if the game had been closer, you might here a lot more about it.

That was a curious play. I remember his leg going out in like a split, and he just rolled over and let the ball go. Never understood how the refs made that call, and I agree, if the game had been closer, you might here a lot more about it.

There was also a close-call on the kickoff following the Denver FG that made the score 10-0. Though not controversial, Ricky Sanders fumbled and we luckily recovered...had we not, the score probably would have been 17-0 and you could have turned out the lights most likely.

I think Doug had flashbacks of the '79 NFC Championship game against the Rams where he injured his biceps and came out on the field in the second half on crutches (TBay lost 9-0). I geuss he pretended the Broncos were the Rams at that point, and proceded with BOMBS AWAY!

:D

P.S. - Doug has never stated that in any interviews. It's just my own view of it.

Archived