Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prisco Power Rankings (merged)

The Ringer

I am going to say the same thing this year as I said last year when these people had the skins 28th. We win, advance in the playoffs, and dominate the division for a second year in a row and we will get the respect we deserve. I noticed the skins at the bottom behind the other three teams in the division and we are ranked 14th. Prisco thinks highly of our division. The Eagles will be healthy and tough once again. The Giants will live and die on Eli. If he excels they will be tough to beat. The pukes are the only team that is tough to figure out. I think they won't do as well as Prisco and others have predicted.

We need the same performance from our D, Taylor to stay free, and our QB (s) to have a very good year. I would love for Brunell to be healthy going into the playoffs. I am excited to see what transpires.

True. I just wish there was a little more objectivity on the part of us as 'Skins fans and the media. Thanks for your response. ;)

But, you wouldn't be a fan if you were objective. As a fan, you can make an argument using objective facts...but there's no reason you shouldn't want to proclaim the Redskins as the best team in the world. As a member of the media, you are ethically obligated to remain objective. That is the key difference that is often lost with the media. You shouldn't make an argument using subjective facts, and you certainly shouldn't "borrow" another media member's argument (e.g., Pastabelly's usual tirade against the Redskins).

I love this. I love how we can make so many great additions in the offseason, but still get ranked last in the division.

Look how pissed we get. IMAGINE HOW PISSED OUR PLAYERS ARE. Randle-El is getting shat on by everyone...he's definitely going to be playing with a grudge next season. I love it.

EDIT:

Does this guy really see that big of a difference between the Washington and Carolina offseasons? I mean, both teams were similar and had similar needs. And both filled them. But we got worse, and they got better, apparently.

But, you wouldn't be a fan if you were objective. As a fan, you can make an argument using objective facts...but there's no reason you shouldn't want to proclaim the Redskins as the best team in the world. As a member of the media, you are ethically obligated to remain objective. That is the key difference that is often lost with the media. You shouldn't make an argument using subjective facts, and you certainly shouldn't "borrow" another media member's argument (e.g., Pastabelly's usual tirade against the Redskins).

I hear you on the fans being subjective but come one now. Everyone is not out to get us and all the moves that we make are not obvious to the whole world.

I love this. I love how we can make so many great additions in the offseason, but still get ranked last in the division.

Look how pissed we get. IMAGINE HOW PISSED OUR PLAYERS ARE. Randle-El is getting shat on by everyone...he's definitely going to be playing with a grudge next season. I love it.

I think so too I think he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong he is capable of having a huge game I remember he had a huge game against the Giants 2004 season ..

What the hell does it matter how much we paid for ARE, Fauria, AA, and Carter?? Joe Gibbs knew exactly who he wanted to make a Super Bowl run and Danny made them offers they couldn't refuse. Having an owner so committed to winning is such an asset. Cap "hell" was averted this year and most likely will be in years to come.

If you look at where other teams like San Diego, Cincinnatti, KC, and Atlanta were placed you can't be too upset with where we are against the entire league. However the editors did not do a good job in reviewing this because he has us 14 but 4th in our own division. Pretty worthless article IMO.....

I don't get upset at all when journalists pick against us because its not a big deal. The thing that is irritating is the fact that they can't separate and stay on point. For example this is a power ranking; not a who overspent article and if you look at the facts the Redskins were in the divisional round last year and since have done the following:

Additions

1. Saunders

2. Jerry Gray

3. Andre Carter

4. Archuleta

5. Brandon Lloyd

6. Randel El

7. Fauria

8. Kenny Wright

Subtractions

1. Lavar

2. Walt Harris

3. Ryan Clark

4. Robert Royal

5. Musgrave

The fact that we may have overpaid doesn't negate from the fact that we've improved on paper in areas that were weaknesses. A capable journalist should be able to distinguish between the two.

If the Redskins had signed Abraham to a $50 million bonus of course we would have overpaid...BUT our pass rush would still be improved, wouldn't it Pete???

Well said. Overpaid implies that we either cant afford it [laugh] or that our money would have been better spent elsewhere [which I dont see how, and more importantly Gibbs & co didnt see how either]

We had a few glaring needs last season, identified by the media even - a need for more WR's and better Pass rushers. We got both. Are they happy? no, cause they think we paid too much. Boo hoo, poor Snyder might have to take up a collection plate if they dont work out.

This guy is a horses ***. What could he be thinking, not only does he dismiss everyone we signed, which is stupid in it's self but he also has the Seahawks at number 8 with basically the same team coming back from last year, a team that should have won the superbowl, I might add. He ranks us 14th and has the balls to rank the Bucs 12th, not only did we beat them in the playoffs but they haven't done crap compared to us in the FA market. Him thinking that every one of our signings will be a bust makes him really sound like the idiot that he is.

Who cares what this guy thinks anyway? He is entitled to his opinion, it's his job to provoke this kind of reaction amongst the fans, but i'm sure he could have done so without looking like a compete fool! We have upgraded in all positions we have tackled so far in FA except LB, and that will most likely be addressed in the draft.

.... i'm sure he could have done so without looking like a compete fool!

For example:

[02/14/2006]

"They had a heck of a year in 2005, but don't you get the feeling it will be a struggle to repeat that? Spending money on assistants doesn't overcome a talent issue."

[04/04/2006]

"They spent and spent and spent some more. What else is new? So what did they get? A receiver (Randle-El) who had 35 catches last year, a tight end (Christian Fauria) who won't scare people down the field, a safety (Adam Archuleta) who is a liability in coverage, another receiver (Brandon Lloyd) from a team in need of them yet was willing to trade him and a defensive end (Andre Carter) who has yet to live up to the hype."

What's next? Cheerleader issues?

:dunce: <-----Prisco

Edgerrin makes that offense work???? That is by far the silliest thing I have ever read. The Colts will draft a running back.........any running back and they won't miss a step. Edg had very little to do with the success of that team. You think teams prepare for the colts by saying "We got to stop the run"???? PUH-LEASE They worry about one thing and one thing only. Stop Peyton Manning.

And another thing. I have read at least a dozen threads about blasting a dozen articles written by a dozen writers and they all have said the same thing. Skins didn't do very well in free agency for whatever reason.....talent, overpaid for it....etc etc. and everyone in here keeps screaming how biased they are.

Have you ever stepped back, looked at the situation and thought, "Gee, maybe what we did wasn't that great". Take the homer glasses off and look at what you did. You think a dozen sportswriters are all wrong? You think a dozen sportswriters really have a grudge against the skins? Why? What have they done in the last 15 years to warrant the media to hate them? It sure isn't from winning too many games.

Really break down what you did in free agency.

Archuleta. A little above average. Good against the run, not great in coverage.

ARE.......Good special teamer. Never done anything else of note in the NFL

Lloyd......Drops alot of passes. Always has

Carter.... had a couple off years, if he goes back in a DE scheme, maybe he'll rebound, but the jury is certainly out on him.

Combine the above with the money dolled and and really ask yourself if you can see why a dozen different sportswriters haven't given you any respect.

Well lets answer some of your questions. First of all, alot of these reporters dont like us because of how our owner has done business. People tend to hate people that make others look bad. Yeah he made some bad player decisions, and has paid for it, but this guy wants a winner and for the past 2 years has made some great decisions.

As far as us only ranking 14th, its the offseason. This poll is worthless. All those years people said we won the super bowl for the offseason, accounted for nothing in the regular season. Ypu my friend have failed just like those dozen reporters to see how we have upgraded our team. And yes they can be wrong. They are wrong over 50% of the time.

Lets break down what you said:

"Archuleta. A little above average. Good against the run, not great in coverage.

ARE.......Good special teamer. Never done anything else of note in the NFL

Lloyd......Drops alot of passes. Always has

Carter.... had a couple off years, if he goes back in a DE scheme, maybe he'll rebound, but the jury is certainly out on him."

Archuleta - yes he may have cover issues, but thats not what we brought him here for. Taylor is our cover safety. Clark was too small to handle being that extra man in the box. By getting Archuleta, this allows Taylor to stay back, allowing him to do what he is good at (interception and intimidation).

ARE - well yes he didnt catch alot of balls. Well he's not here to have to catch 80 balls. He's here to be a playmaker. Special teams, option, someone you have to game plan for. With his 35 catches, the Steelers won the super bowl. An obvious upgrade from Taylor jacobs and Thrash.

Lloyd - may drop a few passes here and there, but this guy made catches that many cant. Hes the lanky, go get it reciever we want. 50 catches from him would be all we need. An upgrade. Not to mention we still have thrash and Patten.

Carter - hasnt lived up to expectations? The one year he played DE, he had 12.5 sacks. Then they put him at linebacker? He will bring that pass rush we have been missing. Wynn to Carter, yet another upgrade.

Not to mention we brought in the best offensive mind in the league, and lost no one in significance (other than maybe Arrington).

14th? I think not. We have upgraded a team in every aspect from a team last year that went to the second round. Me, I normally try to just laugh these columns to death, but I just had to put my 2 cents in.

:D

He does make a very important point, "The NFC EAST will be brutal." It will be hard for any team from our division to win homefield throughout, which means to get to the Super Bowl we might have to go to Seattle, Carolina, Chicago, or Tampa Bay. I think who ever survives the NFC EAST will be tested far beyond all the others. Those teams do not scare me. Especially the Bucs.:mad:

This is what I sent to him:

"Peter Prisco never fails to show his true colors. These latest power rankings are an example. First of all, why the sudden love for the Dolphins? He touts the acquisition of Culpepper as somehow being the missing piece for a team that didn't go to the playoffs, lacked a 1,000 yard running back, and yet he gave them a top-five ranking (over teams that actually went to the playoffs) all on the basis, most likely, of a late season running streak. And yet, as an example, the Redskins, a team that also had a late-season running streak, went to the playoffs, had a team recording breaking running back and wide receiver, has upgraded the team, on both sides of the ball, with several players, all which he dismissed, and they are further ranked below teams that they either swept in their division or beat in the playoffs? Can Prisco show his bias and favoritism just a little bit more, or would it be possible that he can actually show real insight into his NFL power rankings without his bleeding hatred for certain teams seeping through ever NFL article that he writes?"

After I pushed to sent my comments, it said, "Your message has been

sent to Pete Prisco." Take that, you jerk!

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9357254

I guess the skins can't get any respect. How can they be ranked 14th, behind the Bucs who have done nothing except lose to us at home in the playoffs and lose Brian Griese??? He talks about how we overspent, however Prisco fails to mention that they vastly upgraded on a position of urgent need in wide receiver. I really just dont get why the media must focus on the overspending issue even though it has not yet and likely will not ever be an issue. Antwaan Randle El was perhaps the most sought after receiver yet he is torn apart here because he had only 35 receptions. He also provided invaluable intangibles which helped the Steelers win the Super Bowl. Come on Prisco, at least give us top 10.

I made a thread relating to this about how Skins get no respect also. It's sad how we get no recognition and the respect we deserve.

This is what I sent to him:

"Peter Prisco never fails to show his true colors. These latest power rankings are an example. First of all, why the sudden love for the Dolphins? He touts the acquisition of Culpepper as somehow being the missing piece for a team that didn't go to the playoffs, lacked a 1,000 yard running back, and yet he gave them a top-five ranking (over teams that actually went to the playoffs) all on the basis, most likely, of a late season running streak.

Why all the hate on Miami?? Sure they weren't a playoff team.....but they weren't bad either. They were 9-7, 1 less win than the Redskins. In the NFL, that is the difference in 1 play. For Miami it was 3 games lost on turnovers in their opponents red zone in the final minutes with a chance to win or tie........for the Redskins it was a B.S. Alstott TD (+1 win) or a missed Seattle FG (-1 win).

You think they are hurting because they didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher?? The combination of RW and RB went for 1,650 yards 4.4 ypc and 10 TD's. I don't think they are worried that neither topped 1,000.

Culpepper? Boom or bust. Obviously Prisco thinks Boom (just to remind you, boom for Culpepper looks something like 4,700 yards and 39 td's. How many wins do you think the upgrade from Gus Frerotte to D.Culpepper is worth?? At least 3-4 I would say, that adds up to 12-13 wins.

Now if you think it'll be bust..........then you rnak them down in the teens somewhere.....but each person is going to project one way or the other.

Andre Carter: 12 sack season.

Antwaan Randle El: Cought 35 passes, is perfect for our get yards after catch offense. Is an electric kick/punt returner. Can make our offense more complex with his throwing/running abilities.

Brandon Lloyd: Has size and cought 48 Balls for 733 Yards and 5 Touchdowns last season with a piss-poor QB situation. Shows flashes of brilliance. Real stupid right there.

Christian Fauria: Seasoned Veteran who came from a winner. A true tight end who can block.

Adam Archuletta: Sean Taylors strength is in coverage from where he can match up 1 on 1 on recievers like Randy Moss and Chad Johnson and totally show them up. So we need a safety who can blitz, has nice speed, and is physical. Adam Archuletta was the best there was in Free Agency so we got him.

Prisco: A Redskin Media Hater who cant accept the fact that were one of the best teams in the NFC now who continues to show his love for the Cowboys by putting them in the Top 10. I garuantee if you take that Star of their helmet they drop to the Top 15.

Archived