Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Pollin MUST GO!!!!!

plorell

Is he the guy that bashes Dan Snyder in one of his commercials?

Is this guy with the winey voice?

Is this the guy that didnt approve of Portis and Moss coming here?

Is this the dude that bashed Joe Gibbs and then turned around and became the DNA on Gibbs ass on the air?

Is this the guy that said Joe would retire early because his offense sucks?

Is this the guy that fans cant stand 2nd to Phatbellyof Es p on?

Is this the guy that John Thompson put in place because he was running off at the mouth as a guess on his show?

I dont think that I know this guy.

Dude, there's less than 15 games left in the regular season. The Wiz are fighting to keep hold of the 5th seed. If they have a terrible West Coast swing, they could end up in 7th or 8th place and play the Pistons or Heat in the 1st round. I don't think anyone wants that. I much rather play Indiana or Boston.

They can spend a good segment on why Eddie Jordan benched Brenda Heywood, in favor of Etan Thomas. Why not talk about how the Wiz always give up a 4th quarter lead b/c they can't play defense. How about making the trade for Caron Butler, who is a lot better than Larry Hughes. All they have to do is bring on Scott Jackson for a while, which is better than Pollie and Zabe.

Seto,

You think Butler is better than Hughes?

Hughes stats last year:

Rebounds: 6.3

Assists: 4.7

Steals: 2.89

First off, I do NOT agree with Pollin on this topic. However, there is a difference between saying that a 100 yard performance invalidates something and mentioning that a 100 yard performance raises questions about whether Portis was NECESSARY for the Skins to be successful.

I am so glad we got Portis and love him as a Redskin, but I think we'd be almost as good at RB with Betts in there as well.

Damn TD in one paragraph you make more sense than Pollin did during his entire diatribe. You make a good point and I had not considered it from that perspective.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding the Skins being almost as good with Betts as oppossed to Portis but you make a good point.

The thing that got me though was that I did not remember Pollin praising CP when he rattled off those big yardage games the way he praised Betts. It's almost as if he was saying, "See I was right, we didn't need Portis!!" and doing this based off of one game. It's not like Betts was a former starter who did a good job for us and then was pushed aside for Portis. Betts was behind Davis and Watson in 02 and was hurt for much of 03 and played behind Canidate and Rock when he did get healthy. To declare we didn't need Portis after one game, especially after Portis had a good (if not great) season in 2004 just rubbed me the wrong way.

Seto,

You think Butler is better than Hughes?

Hughes stats last year:

Rebounds: 6.3

Assists: 4.7

Steals: 2.89

In how many games? Butler has been healthy the past 2 years, while Hughes spends more time in the trainers room.

Comparing stats is irrelevant if one player is always hurt. A person not in the lineup hurts the team more from a continuity perspective, especially now that the playoffs is right around the corner. Plus, Butler gives them more of a physical presence at his position that they didn't have before.

WTEM is just badly structured as a station in my view. I don't know whose fault it is' date=' but another big problem is that the shows are too compressed. The Sports Reporters should be the flagship show of the station, but it's only 2 hours long. They get into a good topic and immediately have to change gears. Not to mention that you generally have two hosts, one guest, and the update guy competing for air time in those two hours.

Mike and The Mad Dog run for 5 and 1/2 freaking hours (which is actually about an hour and a half too long, but whatever). They can spend an hour talking about the 7 and 8 spots in the Mets batting order because they have the time. They would take a full hour at least on Soriano calls. Andy and Steve have to keep the Soriano talked confined to 20 minutes at the most.

If I was running WTEM, this is my lineup:

5:30 - 9:00 Local "whacky sports" morning show. I think Bram Weinstein would be perfect for this. Something along the lines of the old, night-time Sports Junkies Show.

9:00 - 11:00 Kornheiser. I dig the guy; I know a lot of folks here don't. But it is embarrassing that a sports station in a major market is running a show back to back in mid-day. Also, I would take Andy off of this show. There is definitely too much Andy on WTEM.

11:00 - 1:00 John Thompson. I would drop him but he seems to have an audience. I'm cutting his hours, but giving him a better time slot.

1:00 - 3:00 Rotating show depending on the season - "Nat's Notes," "Wizard's Watch" whatever. Stern during baseball season. Jackson/Lynn during basketball and hockey season. WTEM is far too Redskins heavy. And baseball demands this kind of day to day attention that 10 minutes of Nats notes does not get. This time slot is death anyway so give it to the Seamheads who want to spend hours talking about double switches.

3:00 - 7:00 The Sports Reporters. Make the show the flagship, it should be. Stop rushing things. Get real guests.

7:00 - 12:00 Sports events. The station desperately needs more actual games.

12:00 - 5:30 Cheap Syndication or Infomercials.[/quote']

Nicely done!

Is he the guy that bashes Dan Snyder in one of his commercials?

Is this guy with the winey voice?

Is this the guy that didnt approve of Portis and Moss coming here?

Is this the dude that bashed Joe Gibbs and then turned around and became the DNA on Gibbs ass on the air?

Is this the guy that said Joe would retire early because his offense sucks?

Is this the guy that fans cant stand 2nd to Phatbellyof Es p on?

Is this the guy that John Thompson put in place because he was running off at the mouth as a guess on his show?

I dont think that I know this guy.

Maybe this is Bram.

Hell they all sound the same on AM :whoknows:

I think Pollin knows his role for the most part. He plays second fiddle to Kornheiser and Czaban. He's like a set up man. He either introduces a topic or takes a side that most are likely to oppose. I think he realizes his shortcomings on sports knowledge and allows guests, callers and emailers to argue his opinion because of this.

On the other hand, if I were forced to listen to Jim Rome and his scripted rants, I would light myself on fire. He accepts no ones opinion but his own and they all suck.

Damn TD in one paragraph you make more sense than Pollin did during his entire diatribe. You make a good point and I had not considered it from that perspective.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding the Skins being almost as good with Betts as oppossed to Portis but you make a good point.

The thing that got me though was that I did not remember Pollin praising CP when he rattled off those big yardage games the way he praised Betts. It's almost as if he was saying, "See I was right, we didn't need Portis!!" and doing this based off of one game. It's not like Betts was a former starter who did a good job for us and then was pushed aside for Portis. Betts was behind Davis and Watson in 02 and was hurt for much of 03 and played behind Canidate and Rock when he did get healthy. To declare we didn't need Portis after one game, especially after Portis had a good (if not great) season in 2004 just rubbed me the wrong way.

A little off the thread subject but I must reply to this:

Even Portis mentioned on air this year that he came to Washington with a big head and wouldn't listen to Coach Byner when he preached patience and taking the 3-4 yard gain over the home run. It wasn't until the early middle part of the '05 season that he began allow himself to be coached. It says alot about Portis' natural ability that he could have a "quiet" 1300 yards in '04 running in his trademark unorthidox style that works well for him but not the offense. Betts on the other hand is a RB by trade that developed great timing at Iowa (left the school with most carries ever). So running in a "disicplined" fashion is all he knows and made him more "effective" in the Gibbs offense. Not more dymamic, but more effective.

Now that Portis has seen the light and modified his running style. He's a GREAT back for this system. The problem with relying on Betts would be that he can't stay healthy for several games in a row as a starter. He's perfectly suited for the backup role.

Just my opinion.

In how many games? Butler has been healthy the past 2 years, while Hughes spends more time in the trainers room.

Comparing stats is irrelevant if one player is always hurt. A person not in the lineup hurts the team more from a continuity perspective, especially now that the playoffs is right around the corner. Plus, Butler gives them more of a physical presence at his position that they didn't have before.

61 plus the playoffs for Hughes last year. I know he's a hand injury waiting to happen but when he played last year, he was arguably their best player. The Wizards need Daniels and Butler to supplement his numbers from last year. I'm not saying we should have paid him what the Cavs did (because of the injuries and too much money in the backcourt). I'm just saying he was great last year. Butler is merely good.

To me Pollin is harmless because everyone knows he's a kiss-ass, know-little sports guy. He's local and he cheers for local teams (though he hates it when fans say "we" as in "We beat Dallas") so I can tolerate him.

But if you take Pollin, and I've already started threads on this one, take that Monk-hating Tony Kornheiser with him.

Hail,

H

Thanks...and again, I LOVE Portis and am so glad we have him. I think he's much better than Betts and that disparity would be more apparent on a lot of other teams. But, the way Gibbs used the RB position in 2004 didn't exactly make Portis a necessity.

Last year, it was much more evident why CP was one of our most valuable players. I think it will become even MORE apparent this year when Saunders gets him out in space.

61 plus the playoffs for Hughes last year. I know he's a hand injury waiting to happen but when he played last year, he was arguably their best player. The Wizards need Daniels and Butler to supplement his numbers from last year. I'm not saying we should have paid him what the Cavs did (because of the injuries and too much money in the backcourt). I'm just saying he was great last year. Butler is merely good.

I agree with the other guy, Butler is a better player because he can take the grind and punishment that a NBA season puts on you, Hughes can't. Also, at no point was he EVER this team's best player, especially with Arenas on it.

WTEM is just badly structured as a station in my view. I don't know whose fault it is' date=' but another big problem is that the shows are too compressed. The Sports Reporters should be the flagship show of the station, but it's only 2 hours long. They get into a good topic and immediately have to change gears. Not to mention that you generally have two hosts, one guest, and the update guy competing for air time in those two hours.

Mike and The Mad Dog run for 5 and 1/2 freaking hours (which is actually about an hour and a half too long, but whatever). They can spend an hour talking about the 7 and 8 spots in the Mets batting order because they have the time. They would take a full hour at least on Soriano calls. Andy and Steve have to keep the Soriano talked confined to 20 minutes at the most.

If I was running WTEM, this is my lineup:

5:30 - 9:00 Local "whacky sports" morning show. I think Bram Weinstein would be perfect for this. Something along the lines of the old, night-time Sports Junkies Show.

9:00 - 11:00 Kornheiser. I dig the guy; I know a lot of folks here don't. But it is embarrassing that a sports station in a major market is running a show back to back in mid-day. Also, I would take Andy off of this show. There is definitely too much Andy on WTEM.

11:00 - 1:00 John Thompson. I would drop him but he seems to have an audience. I'm cutting his hours, but giving him a better time slot.

1:00 - 3:00 Rotating show depending on the season - "Nat's Notes," "Wizard's Watch" whatever. Stern during baseball season. Jackson/Lynn during basketball and hockey season. WTEM is far too Redskins heavy. And baseball demands this kind of day to day attention that 10 minutes of Nats notes does not get. This time slot is death anyway so give it to the Seamheads who want to spend hours talking about double switches.

3:00 - 7:00 The Sports Reporters. Make the show the flagship, it should be. Stop rushing things. Get real guests.

7:00 - 12:00 Sports events. The station desperately needs more actual games.

12:00 - 5:30 Cheap Syndication or Infomercials.[/quote']

M&MD are on too much though. It's like they have to create issues. The Mets batting order is actually a great example. They've jumped up and down about it in Spring Training, only we don't even know what it is yet! At least let's have opening day before we start the "Fire Willie!" campaign from them.

You don't want those guys talking baseball anyway. Before Sirius, I used to tune into 660 The Fan in NY as soon as possible. I am a native Washingtonian and would rather listen to NY sports radio that those two.

Take my advice, get Sirius.

Personally I have XM, so that I can hear the out of market games. I listen to a lot of NY radio during baseball season as well. It comes from growing up in Norfolk as a Tides/Mets fan.

Either way, M&MD are more infuriating than the Czabe and Pollin. But it's probably a more entertaining show as well.

He doesn't bug me as much as he bugs you but...yeah Polin is a lamo who has ridden on Kornheisers coat tails. I never listen to him, I don't see a point.

I don't listen to Czabe either because I don't take him seriously. He will say whatever stirs up a controversy. He is an opinionless agitator on the radio. Why even listen.

Wonder if someone should e-mail the existence of this thread to 980. When I went to the website it directs feedback to marklapidus@sportstalk980.com. I wonder if Todd Castleberry is still working there. Of course, sending the thread to Czabe would be entertaining as well too!

Lombardi's Kid Brother makes a great point about the lineup being overkly structured. I agree that the Sports Reporters should be the flagship show, and it probabaly doesn't have to be 4 hours long, but the fact that they feel the need to constrain themselves to only 20 minutes on one topic is their own fault. This is the typical structure of the Sports Reporters:

500-505 ESPN Sports Center and 980 update

505-507 Commercials

507-512 Andy, Steve, and Knoche or Loverro yak

512-514 Commercials

514-520 Phone calls

520-525 980 update

525-530 Commercials

530-535 E-mails

535-540 Yak with Tony

540-545 980 update

545-550 Commercials

550-555 Yak about another subject

555-559 Commercials

559-600 Andy yaks for another minute

600-700 Repeat above

Also, does anyone ever notice that the people who do get through on the phones are the same ones? I can't believe that there's that few people interested in calling in. Someone needs to provide this thread to someone at 980 and maybe we can effect some changes. More callers and less structure!!

Pollin is a Redskins fan, I just think he doesn't believe the Redskins are going to be the top sports story each day even in the offseason before the draft :)

The Nationals are about to begin play and therefore they are on Page 1 with the stories of Soriano and the saga of the stadium. Those would be Page 1 news in Philly or New York as well.

Once the NBA playoffs get closer you will see greater discussion of the Wizards. Right now they are a .500 team that is still trying to find themselves.

The Caps are out of the playoffs and the one big storyline is how many points Ovechkin is going to finish with.

For the Skins, the major spike in free agency is over and you won't see much movement before the draft.

I agree that Pollin can be a bit to take when he is paired with Czaban, because Czaban brings out the sarcastic and critical side of ANY dialogue on the air.

The guy would find some fault if the Redskins won the Super Bowl 27-0 :laugh:

The real guy to replace is Czaban.

I disagree Bulldog. I'd replace Pollin not because I have anything against him (I've encountered him in public and he seems like a nice enough guy), but I feel like, as sports director, he's really lazy when it comes to the programs on the station. The Reporters would be so much better if there was more time made for callers, and Pollin just refuses to make that happen.

The week after the Super Bowl Czaban wrote on his online column how he opened the phones up for all of his morning show the day after the game to let people voice their opinions about the game and the controversial calls, etc.

Andy would never do that.

Archived