Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Condolezza Rice accepts apology after racial slur.

portisizzle

Anyone this this guy made an honest slip of the tongue and should not have been fired?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189149,00.html

Rice Accepts Apology After Racial Slur

Sunday, March 26, 2006

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has accepted the apology of a disc jockey fired for using a racial slur to describe her, saying the incident shows that even mature democracies take centuries to heal racial wounds.

"My understanding is that he apologized, said he didn't mean it," Rice told "FOX News Sunday." "I accept that because we all say things from time to time that we shouldn't say or didn't mean to say."

Dave Lenihan of KTRS in St. Louis apologized on the air immediately after making what he said was a slip of the tongue during his morning show on Wednesday.

Lenihan had praised Rice, who has frequently said she aspires to run the NFL one day but has ruled out seeking to replace retiring Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who recently announced his retirement.

On his show, Lenihan said: "She's been chancellor of Stanford. She's got the patent resume of somebody that has serious skill. She loves football. She's African-American, which would kind of be a big coon. A big coon. Oh my God. I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that."

He said he had meant to say "coup" instead of the slur. KTRS president and general manager Tim Dorsey agreed that the remark was accidental but announced the same day that Lenihan had been fired.

Rice said Sunday that the incident is evidence that the "birth defect" of slavery infuses even mature democracies with racial tensions that take generations to heal.

Rice added that she hopes the episode inspires Americans to "be a little bit more humble" about the progress of emerging democracies such as those in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Anyone this this guy made an honest slip of the tongue and should not have been fired?

I think everyone pretty much agrees it was a slip of the tongue, but people get fired all the time for making unintentional mistakes.

Life's not fair ... hopefully he'll be able to get another job and move on.

It's a crime that this guy was fired. I respect and admire Condoleezza Rice and would vote for her is she ran for president. But, what this guy said appears to be a complete accident. Yet another example of political correctness and people not having the grapefruits to stand up to it.

I think everyone pretty much agrees it was a slip of the tongue, but people get fired all the time for making unintentional mistakes.

Life's not fair ... hopefully he'll be able to get another job and move on.

Well Rush Limbaugh said the "N" word once when he was talking about the Mayor of New Orleans and nothing happened to him..

-Grant

Well Rush Limbaugh said the "N" word once when he was talking about the Mayor of New Orleans and nothing happened to him..

-Grant

The Grease Man once said on the radio something to the effect of "there is a reason some black person got dragged to death behind a truck." That ******* is still on the air and works in my building. :doh:

What this guy did PALES in comparison.

The Grease Man once said on the radio something to the effect of "there is a reason some black person got dragged to death behind a truck." That ******* is still on the air and works in my building. :doh:

Like I said the guy didnt mean it, but people have a quick trigger finger for guys who dont pull in as much money...

-Grant

Actually what "Grease Man" said of note was "...why is everyone off for Martin Luther King's Birthday? Why not kill six more and we can have the week off."

Abominable.

Politcal correctness = the death, burial, rotting, exhumation, creamation and scattering at sea of free speech. This isn't the country I knew even 20 years ago. Some of that's for the better. Most of it's not. :(

I have a real hard time with this story. This guy obviously respects Dr. Rice, as do I. A momentary slip of the tongue now leaves you unemployed. What's next?

I think we ALL need to stop worrying about our darn feelings getting hurt. We need to learn to laugh at ourselves and our situations and move on.

I'm remembering an old Tank McNamara comic strip.

(Tank is supposedly a sportscaster who is most famous for doinf the "norts spews" on the local TV station.)

The first frame is a broadcast booth on an NFL game day. Tank is saying "former NFL great, who I'm prout to have here today as my colored man."

Second frame has the two looking at each other. Tank is thinking "I think I meant 'color man'.")

Third frame: "Colored man" has his hands up next to his face, singing "Do dah, Do dah". Tank has his face burried in his hands, pleading "Give me a break, Frank."

-----

Haven't heard the tape. From the context, I'd bet it was unintentional. (Whether it was Freudian is certainly debatable.)

And, as has been pointed out: In some jobs, even an accidental slipup can get you fired.

Are we absolutely certain that this was the main reason behind his firing...and that it wasn't already set into motion or that this wasn't jsut the last straw at the end of a list of other small offenses.

I don't know but there is something odd about this story, and it said that he was fired the same day, almost as if it had already been decided.

Are we aboslutely certain that this was the main reason behind his firing...and that it wasn't already set into motion or that this wasn't jsut the last straw at the end of a list of other small offenses.

I don't know but there is something odd about this story, and it said that he was fired the same day, almost as if it had already been decided.

They where talking about it on howard stern....Stern thought it was due to low ratings...

-Grant

Are we aboslutely certain that this was the main reason behind his firing...and that it wasn't already set into motion or that this wasn't jsut the last straw at the end of a list of other small offenses.

As was pointed out earlier, it seems this disk jockey made an unfortunate comment live on the air.

Chances are the pressure from outside groups compelled management to move on this. The fact that Rice was understanding demonstrates to me a LOT about this woman.

She certainly seems above the petty nature of lesser Americans.

Actually what "Grease Man" said of note was "...why is everyone off for Martin Luther King's Birthday? Why not kill six more and we can have the week off."

Abominable.

Yeah, I remember that now too. He did say what I said he, uh, said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greaseman

While at WARW, Tracht made a comment about James Byrd. He had been playing a song by Lauryn Hill. Tracht then stated (as a reference to the quality of her music) "And they wonder why we drag them behind trucks." This incident in February 1999 proved catastrophic to his radio career, igniting a firestorm of protest from black and white listeners alike, including Donnie Simpson, who savaged Tracht on his morning show on sister station WPGC-FM. Not only was Tracht quickly fired from WARW, he lost his position as a volunteer deputy sheriff in Falls Church, Virginia.

2 strikes is too many in this situation IMO. Im not the most politically correct guy on the planet, as you may have noticed, but this guy's a bigot.

They where talking about it on howard stern....Stern thought it was due to low ratings...

-Grant

Exactly. This is why greaseman survived for so long and this guy lasted a day.

If he had spectacular ratings, this would have been brushed off, but if he wasn't a great asset anyways, a tiny thing like this can be enough. Same thing at any job - if you're valuable, you're allowed to screw up, but if you aren't, you'll be fired at the first mistake.

Archived