Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

possible NFL rule change: the banning of low blows to QBs

Fifty Gut

The Jaguars could receive some help from NFL officials in the team's bid to give quarterback Byron Leftwich more protection this fall. At the owners' annual meeting next week in Orlando, the league's competition committee plans to present a rule change banning hits below the quarterback's knees, co-chairman Rich McKay said in a conference call Wednesday.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/032306/jag_21428643.shtml

what a great idea, banning hits below the knees

I remind Redskins Nation that a CHEAP low blow is what did Brunell in at the end of last season

Horrible idea. QBs are players too. If a lineman is lunging at him and the QB steps up creating a hit to the lower leg, that's called football. If we don't want QBs hit, let's put them in a red jersey and change the game entirely.

Horrible idea. QBs are players too. If a lineman is lunging at him and the QB steps up creating a hit to the lower leg, that's called football. If we don't want QBs hit, let's put them in a red jersey and change the game entirely.

I understand that, but a blow below the knees doesn't make sense

defenders should hit the thigh pads, or body, or atleast just pull the legs out from under a QB

diving straight into a QB's lower legs, I don't see why that should be allowed

this is not the most imporant rule being discussed here at the meetings. I dunno if many of u are aware that the qb has a radio in their helmet. The argument many teams and coaches are making are the allowance of radios on defense. I think this is a great idea, and this is a reason why many defenses could be better as a unit next year.

"The proposal that will be presented to NFL owners next week would permit each team to designate one defensive player per game to wear a headset. The defensive player could be from any position, although the assumption is that most teams would designate a linebacker.

When the designated player is off the field, the headset cannot be transferred to another defender. And if the player is injured and forced from the game, the team would lose the use of the headset. "It basically would end the communication," McKay said."

The really driving force behidn this is the injury to Palmer. Which, after watching it a few dozen times, was clearly accidental in nature.

Even the hit to Mark last year wasn't an attempt by the line to injure the QB, IMO. Bad luck, but hey, that's the same risk the other 21 players on the field have to put up with.

Exactly!

Hear Hear! I am totally sick of these rules for the QB. Might as well put skirts on them! I know the league will continue putting more rules protecting the QB (which I don't agree with) because they are the marquee players, but enough is enough already.

What a freakin' joke!!!!!

Can't hit a QB high. Can't hit him low. Can't hit him if he slides feet first.... At what point is the NFL going to make all QB's "Two-Hand Touch" only?!?!?!

The rules protecting QB's, Punters and Kickers have gotten completely out of hand. The hopscotch court is a little further down the road, girls. Take your skirts and panties and go down there if you don't want to get hit. Otherwise, get used to being beaten around. It's part of the game.

This change would mean you can only hit a QB below the shoulder pads and above the knees. They are turning QB's into big wusses. If you are in posession of the ball you should be subjected to getting hit pretty much anywhere.

Then again, I think if a QB crosses the line of scrimmage with the ball in his posession, he should be penalized if he runs out of bounds. :D

Stupid rule. QB's are already protected enough in this league. They're not girl scouts.

this is not the most imporant rule being discussed here at the meetings. I dunno if many of u are aware that the qb has a radio in their helmet. The argument many teams and coaches are making are the allowance of radios on defense. I think this is a great idea, and this is a reason why many defenses could be better as a unit next year.

Now, this rule I like. We need to get Marcus Washington hooked up with one of these.

IF this rule is put in place then you could expect QBs to just roll out a lot more than we see now.

How many QB sacks do you see each year made by a diving "shoestring" type tackle,

If you can't take a guy down by a swipe to the ankles I don't want to watch the game anymore.

Theres way too many rules that protect offensive players. I think this is just anther ploy to get Peyton Manning another chance at winning a superbowl. At this rate kickers are almost as much a player as QBs. The worst rule in football besides the tuck rule is when QBs slide u can only touch them. I remember when I played in HS when a QB slid right in front of me, I just leveled him and he was out for the game, a game my team eventually won. Then they also have the running out of the pocket and throwing it out of bounds and thats not intentional grounding. That rule just gives scrambling QBs an easy way out.

I agree. The game has been sisified enough as it is. QB's getting hit is part of the game. Gzzz.

Leave the game alone.

I understand that, but a blow below the knees doesn't make sense

defenders should hit the thigh pads, or body, or atleast just pull the legs out from under a QB

diving straight into a QB's lower legs, I don't see why that should be allowed

I argee a shot below the knees is dirty.

i'm so tired of thisn debate flaring up after von oelhoffen fell on carson palmer's leg . . .

look, the game is played full speed . . . the ridiculous rules about protecting a QB's head are already enough to make your own hurt . . .

this is BS and would be a sh*t show to enforce . . .

what a great idea, banning hits below the knees

I remind Redskins Nation that a CHEAP low blow is what did Brunell in at the end of last season

Hate to break it to you but that wasn't a cheap shot on Brunell last year. I forget who should have picked him up but Ray Brown saw the defender breaking through and at the last moment stuck his foot out to trip him up. Defender does fall and on the way down just hits Brunell in the knee. And yes, it was almost certainly an intensional trip by Brown so if you want to blame anyone you can blame him.

Archived