Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

possible NFL rule change: the banning of low blows to QBs

Fifty Gut

I got an idea. Why don't they put a shock collar on all the devensive players and if they get within ten feet of the quarterback, they get the @#@$ jolted out of 'em!

WTF?! I am so sick of these P-whipped rules for the QB. Football is a contant sport!!! Certain rules: Helmet to helmet, horse collar are good ones but their will be 15yd penalties on every other play if this happens.

This rule is more about the intention to hurt a QB than pursuit of the QB. If you are able to avoid hitting the QB below the knee then you must or be penalized. Its the same as roughing a QB in that if you can stop after the ball is thrown then you must or be penalized. This rule addresses the intent of the defender. I think its a good idea.

The modern game of football is being played by amazing athletes at speeds never before seen. Defenders are out there tackling with forces never before thought of. To compensate for the level of physical play rules have evolved.

Equipment has evolved as well. Are y'all suggesting that players should go back to wearing leather helmets? Should we move the goalpost back to the front of the endzone? This rule is just another way to help ensure the safety of a player in a defenseless position. With the amount of money spent on QBs I think it a prudent rule.

No it is not the same as roughing the passer!! And what does the amount of money a QB gets paid have to do with him getting hit? OK, so in your theory, Players that get paid more than "X" dollars should get more protection?

These are the kind of thoughts that are causing the tradition of football to fade away. Equiptment has evolved as you state - and that is a way to protect the QB so why add one more area of the body a QB cannot get hit? As it is, a D-fensive player can only hit a QB in a limited area - his chest. How can these guys be expected to stick to that when so many other variables: guys after them, pushing them, etc... are factored in?

Ridiculous.

I didn't realize Greisen (sp?) was tripped up, cause it looked like a very cheap hit on Brunell

but I don't think these rules soften up the game

the QB is the only player (besides the center) to touch the ball every snap

such rules are not a bad move on the NFL's part, and I don't believe it damages the greatness of the sport itself

Horrible idea. QBs are players too. If a lineman is lunging at him and the QB steps up creating a hit to the lower leg, that's called football. If we don't want QBs hit, let's put them in a red jersey and change the game entirely.

Agreed.....please, no more rules to hog-tie the Defense....

I don't think that this is really an issue, there is already a rule to stop players from trying to take out a QB with a hit below the knees.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/protectionofpasser

4. No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.

All they need to do is take out the unrestricted path part of the rule and put in something about in the act of passing, or in the pocket so that it doesn't stop people tackling scrambling QBs.

But in general I do agree QBs get too much protection.

This rule is un-realistic at best. No player on teh feild can predict exactly when you will hit the QB. While it would be nice if they didnt hit them low...there is no way to control this. All this would do is create stupid penalties on players who didnt try to hit the QB below the knees.

Like the post above you stated, this rule is designed to deal with intent. The NFL head of officiating has said that the Carson Palmer hit would not have a penalty. The hit to brunell, where he got knocked down and scampered into Brunell's knee may have been (just my opinion, not his).

It's plays like the one I mentioned earlier, where a defender rolled over three times while on the ground and sacked the QB by rolling into his legs that they are trying to prevent. Intent is the key part of this rule.

Obviously, there will be mistakes, as with any rule, but I think it's a good one because no other player on the field is put in a position to stand there and take shots to his knees like that. This game already has far too many injuries and I'm for trying to protect the players, to an extent. I think this particular rule is a good one. You have to look at the whole rule before you make up your mind, though. Players who are blocked into a QBs knees won't be penalized.

Did you guys think the horse collar rule was BS and taking away from the game, too? I know I don't, I firmly believe that the two horse collars on Portis at the end of the season (2nd Philly and Dallas games), both of which he got up from very gingerly, contributed to how banged up he was for the playoffs. Granted, they didn't call them because the rule was written poorly and that's being changed. Same with the QB rule, it's already there, they're just refining it to say if it's avoidable at all, don't hit the QB below the knees. I don't see anything wrong with that.

so does this rule make michael Vick Unstoppable? How are they goingt o get Vick down, if you cannot get him by his feet.

I hope they tweek this rule a little bit.

If he's hit intentionally below the knees while in the pocket throwing it'll be a penalty, if he's outside of the pocket scrambling, it won't. They're trying to protect QBs when they are standing still and defenseless.

If he's hit intentionally below the knees while in the pocket throwing it'll be a penalty, if he's outside of the pocket scrambling, it won't. They're trying to protect QBs when they are standing still and defenseless.

ahh... ok

so this rule only applies while in the pocket...

thanks for clearing it up, I was just thinking of QB having advantages.

ps... if preventing injuries like Palmer's can come out of this, im all for it

ahh... ok

so this rule only applies while in the pocket...

thanks for clearing it up, I was just thinking of QB having advantages.

ps... if preventing injuries like Palmer's can come out of this, im all for it

Oddly enough, that play wouldn't have been a penalty because the defender was pushed to the ground and his momentum accidentally carried him into Palmer's leg. Nothing you can do about that, the penalty is for when that's done intentionally. That's what the rule's for. They just don't want people hitting QBs below the knees intentionally.

Archived