Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barry Bonds hits a HR, and hitting .700 in Spring Training

boobiemiles

From the michael wilbon chat on the WP yesterday. The best thing he's ever written....

Alexandria, Va.: Do u think that they are picky on Barry Bonds because he is black? Alot of people will be mad if he breaks Babe Ruth's record. He has NEVER tested positive for sternoids. So, why are they always worrying about him.

Michael Wilbon: I think Barry Bonds is being investigated legitimately becasue his trainer and associated were the target of a Grand Jury investigation into BALCO...because Bonds is thought to have lied to that Grand Jury, and because there is reasonable suspicion that Bonds used steroids. Just because baseball was too incompetent to catch Bonds and McGwire and many, many more doesn't mean the lawns of the United States of America weren't in effect. They were. And steroids, boys and girls, were and are illegal. Hiding behind race, which is all Bonds and his sycophants are doing, offends me and I'm black. Bonds is black in color only...Let's not allow him to turn himself into Jackie Robinson because his skin his brown. He's black in much the same way O.J. Simpson was black...when in trouble, he's black. All the other time, he's just rich and unapproachable and obnoxious and not particularly any color. I'm tired of this garbage.

From the michael wilbon chat on the WP yesterday. The best thing he's ever written....

Alexandria, Va.: Do u think that they are picky on Barry Bonds because he is black? Alot of people will be mad if he breaks Babe Ruth's record. He has NEVER tested positive for sternoids. So, why are they always worrying about him.

Michael Wilbon: I think Barry Bonds is being investigated legitimately becasue his trainer and associated were the target of a Grand Jury investigation into BALCO...because Bonds is thought to have lied to that Grand Jury, and because there is reasonable suspicion that Bonds used steroids. Just because baseball was too incompetent to catch Bonds and McGwire and many, many more doesn't mean the lawns of the United States of America weren't in effect. They were. And steroids, boys and girls, were and are illegal. Hiding behind race, which is all Bonds and his sycophants are doing, offends me and I'm black. Bonds is black in color only...Let's not allow him to turn himself into Jackie Robinson because his skin his brown. He's black in much the same way O.J. Simpson was black...when in trouble, he's black. All the other time, he's just rich and unapproachable and obnoxious and not particularly any color. I'm tired of this garbage.

:laugh: :applause: Get'em Michael. Great piece - thanks for posting it Rictus!

:cheers:

You guys do know he can't drive off his knee fully yet right? On top of that, they have played in only 1 homer friendly park (Arizona and that was last night).

Even worse, the 40 days and nights of rain (in California) have made the opening 2 weeks tough for the entire team. Through the 1st 12 games, the entire team has only 6 homers (but they are 8-4).

I wouldn't quickly write off Bonds though, he is killing the ball. It's just being hit to people. Eventually he will find his groove and make adjustments to his swing to compensate for the lessened leg drive (due to the bad knee).

As for Pujols, until he gets close to 232 walks in a year (and cuts down on his K's), he will never be as feared as Bonds was (and still is, despite the no homers and close to .200 average).

You guys do know he can't drive off his knee fully yet right? On top of that, they have played in only 1 homer friendly park (Arizona and that was last night).

Even worse, the 40 days and nights of rain (in California) have made the opening 2 weeks tough for the entire team. Through the 1st 12 games, the entire team has only 6 homers (but they are 8-4).

I wouldn't quickly write off Bonds though, he is killing the ball. It's just being hit to people. Eventually he will find his groove and make adjustments to his swing to compensate for the lessened leg drive (due to the bad knee).

As for Pujols, until he gets close to 232 walks in a year (and cuts down on his K's), he will never be as feared as Bonds was (and still is, despite the no homers and close to .200 average).

I saw somebody break down Bonds's swing this year - looks like he's really pulling out his lead hip and shoulder. I'm sure he'll see that in video and corrected it. When he does....

I saw somebody break down Bonds's swing this year - looks like he's really pulling out his lead hip and shoulder. I'm sure he'll see that in video and corrected it. When he does....

I think it's a natural compensation for not being able to drive through due to knee pain.

He is still killing the ball though, had he played in homer friendly St Louis, Chicago, Houston, or Cincinnati, he would have 3 or 4 homers. The two warnign track shots and the one off of the wall he hit in the 1st home series would have been out of 30 of 32 parks (the exceptions being Pac Bell, excuse me At&T and San Diego's Petco Park).

You do know that due to his steriod use and the damage it caused, his knee will most likely never get close to what it use to be. You do know that he has already begun the excuse campaign for why he is going to quit on his team yet again, and probably (God Willing) his career. Bonds's 41 year old body is now catching up to him and aging rapidly due to the juicing and now lack of it.

I'm not a Pujols fan, but I can tell you that he is the number one fear at the plate in MLB. Pitchers don't pitch straight down the center of the plate or nearly as much inside to him as they do now to Bonds. Huh, I wonder why that is.

If Pujols is the most feared hitter in baseball, why isn't he getting intentionally walked after he has hit, say, two homers in a row?

Has Pujols ever been intentionally walked witht he bases loaded? Hell, has Pujols ever been walked 100 times in a year? Hell, in 18 MORE at bats, Pujols only has 1 more walk thann Bonds this year. You think he is seeing the same pitches as Bonds?

Maybe he just likes to swing the bat.

Why would anyone be afraid of Bonds this year?

Have you seen all of his at-bats this year?

He is killing the ball. The problem is two fold - the non fly balls have been hit at people and the fly balls he has hit have been in homer unfriendly parks.

Now that Bonds and the Giants are out of usually rainy California for awhile, I would be shocked if Barry doesn't hit 2 or 3 in the next 9 games on the road.

I'm all for Barry Bonds. He's not hitting the ball out of the park yet, but he's coming off a season where he only played 52 games. I don't think any of us knows how it feels to have all this pressure, and people pulling against you. I for one am sick and tired of people ganging up on the guy. Look how long it too jason Giambi to get his swing back, and lets not forget Barry is 42. He'll be ok, and break Babes Ruth record.

Just for the record - Babe Ruth does not have the home run record. Barry Bonds will not break any of Babe's records, as he doesn't have any. Well, except for the American League Home Run record and the American League record for most shutouts in a single season.

Bond's is one of the greatest ball players of all time, with or with out steriods. He's a scapegoat for Bud Selig and the rest of the mlb. I hope he is able to stay healthy, he'll go yard 50 times.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

He did what everyone else including McGuire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Canseco, Caminitti, etc. were doing...and MLB and the owners let it go on because Baseball needed HRs to bring fans back to the game after the strike, and it made them MONEY...they should do the same thing they did when Baseball confronted Segregation in baseball...acknowledge that it was wrong, say we will not let it happen again, and MOVE ON!!!

Sure I can. Just because everyone else was doing it doesn't make it right. I can understand why he did it, but that doesn't make his decision any less dishonorable.

And it doesn't make it more dishonorable either..but it is being played out like he is the worse person in baseball for using steroids, when in all actuality it should be Bud Selig the owners, GMs, etc. for allowing it to go on without saying anything or doing anything about it for the purpose of making money and bringing fans back to the game.

I don't hate Bonds at all. So not everyone hates him.

Until I see managers and trainers kicked out of baseball I'm simply not interested in their witch hunt for players. Baseball allowed steroid abuse and trainers, who make a great deal of money to check health of athletes, had have known about it the entire time. Managers knew it. The league knew it. Clean them out of baseball first - then we'll talk about the players.

ugh I am so sick of Barry Bonds and his supporters. Just because others may have known does not take the onus off of Bonds. He did the steroids, no one else did them for him. He has to pay the price for that. He broke the rules of baseball, he cheated, he is to blame.

Just because Pete Rose bet on baseball doesn't mean it is the bookie's fault even though the bookie knew Rose was betting

I'm a Giants fan for what it's worth.

Bonds is smoking the ball right now. Ask Bobby Cox. The fact that it hasn't gone yard a lot has more to do with bad weather and playing in pitcher's parks. The entire Giants team has 6 homers, dead last in the league.

I am also a huge Pujols fan (he carried my team to two straight Roto championships). He is great and at the top of his game, but he's not quite as feared as Bonds yet. If he was, they wouldn't pitch to him in a key situation, the way they haven't pitched to Bonds for several years. Pujols might catch Bonds this year however, because he is really that good.

He did what everyone else including McGuire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Canseco, Caminitti, etc. were doing...and MLB and the owners let it go on because Baseball needed HRs to bring fans back to the game after the strike, and it made them MONEY...they should do the same thing they did when Baseball confronted Segregation in baseball...acknowledge that it was wrong, say we will not let it happen again, and MOVE ON!!!

Everyone of those guys deserves to be looked at. Barry is the only one of those named that is still playing. It will be a travesty if someone like Bonds (or McGuire, Sosa, any juicer) holds a record that was taken away from Hank Aaron, or Roger Maris, or Ted Williams, or any of the greats that did it with talent and hard work and not hypodermics and Victor Conte.

It'll just be yet another black eye on the face of Americas Pasttime. Move on, absolutely, acknowledge that MLB was wrong, absolutely. But right the wrongs first. Baseball wont be able to move on as long as a known juicer like Bonds holds the sports most important record.

spring training as just proved to mean nothing.....now that hes off the roids and has to play real ball, he's batting 4-23 in the regular season, and doing nothing. and this is the barry i love, the suck ass crybaby that accomplishes nothing. i personally hope he gets to 713 career hr's, then gets a career ending injury caused by effectcs of the juice, that would be poetic.

Ummm, the suck-ass crybaby that accomplishes nothing? I can see hating Bonds for the roids (because he took em), I can see hating him for being an a-hole (because he is one). But calling him a suck-ass who accomplishes nothing is a joke. Cheater or not, he is by far the best player of our time.

Everyone of those guys deserves to be looked at. Barry is the only one of those named that is still playing. It will be a travesty if someone like Bonds (or McGuire, Sosa, any juicer) holds a record that was taken away from Hank Aaron, or Roger Maris, or Ted Williams, or any of the greats that did it with talent and hard work and not hypodermics and Victor Conte.

It'll just be yet another black eye on the face of Americas Pasttime. Move on, absolutely, acknowledge that MLB was wrong, absolutely. But right the wrongs first. Baseball wont be able to move on as long as a known juicer like Bonds holds the sports most important record.

Do you think that those "named" guys are the only ones? A better guess would be more than half of all the players in MLB during the 1999-2003 seasons.

Do you think that those "named" guys are the only ones? A better guess would be more than half of all the players in MLB during the 1999-2003 seasons.

Half of all the player in MLB during that period dont hold some of the games most hallowed records and they didnt lie to Congress and to the fans of the game right to the cameras.

Half of all the player in MLB during that period dont hold some of the games most hallowed records and they didnt lie to Congress and to the fans of the game right to the cameras.

1v89a5pj.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ahhhh....., hold on...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rotflmao:

Guest sith lord

I just can't wait until one of the "likable" players are caught, and believe me, it's going to happen, I wonder what kind of spin all these Bonds haters are gonna put on that.

I think that "more than half" is kind of a high number, I beleive that there have been cheaters, but I don't beleive that the entire integrity of the game has disappeared

Archived