Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barry Bonds hits a HR, and hitting .700 in Spring Training

boobiemiles

You have not given a shred of evidence on why is he a jerk. All you can say is "he's a bad person." Give me some proof that he's a bad person.

I'd say he's an ******* for trying to make us feel sorry for him last year by coming on TV with his kid and 'shedding a tear' (i don't believe he was even CLOSE to really crying).

Actually, Hank has generally been favorable to Bonds. Although, I wouldn't use Hank as a cructch, with his alleged cocaine and amphetamine abuse in the 1960's and 1970's.

;)

Or are those drugs ok?

I doubt crack helped him hit more homeruns, however, I'd ban him for that.

If I were the commish, there would be a lot of banned players.

Big Giants Fan here. Seen Bonds play at least 40 times.

Honest truth - the man pretty much is a dick. He is just like Ted Williams used to be - moody, self centered and carrying a chip on his shoulder the size of Rhode Island.

On the other hand, he is not as bad as the national media portrays him. He has become a symbol of dickishness beyond his own actions, which are mostly just being curt and rude. Jeff Kent, for example, was an even bigger dick when he was here, but only the local fans know that. But there always has to be someone that becomes the symbol of what the writers dislike, and upon whom the focus turns again and again.

As far as his dedication to competing and winning - it is just about the best I have ever seen. He is so focused it's scary, and his head is always in the game. For example, you should see him in the on deck circle. He watches every single pitch to the player before him like a hawk, just to get a jump on the delivery and velocity of the pitcher that day. I have no doubt he 'roided up to get an edge. He is always trying to get an edge. That is how he has carried otherwise mediocre Giants teams to the playoffs again and again.

I think there may be some small racial component to the hatred of Bonds. I do think that McGwire, for example, was cut more slack than Bonds (people forget that McGwire was a surly **** too for much of his career).

However, I mostly think it is a matter of circumstances and media hype. Someone is always the ultimate bad guy. Right now, in baseball, it is Bonds. Heck - we Redskins fans should understand this. Bonds is like the Dan Snyder of baseball players. To everyone else in the league, Snyder is basically a arrogant jerk cheater playing fantasy football, the Richie Rich of the NFL. To us Redskins fans, he is just trying to win. We all know he's kind of a jerk, but he's our jerk and we appreciate how much he wants to win.

Bonds is the same way.

One final point.

Basically, you are kidding yourself if you really don't think that most baseball players took stuff during the Selig "look the other way" era. They all did. As a practical matter, they almost had to if they wanted to compete. As long as there was no testing, your merit was based solely on your success on the field, however you got there. Bonds cheated - so did YOUR favorite player on YOUR favorite team. So did all the Hogs on your favorite Redskins teams of the 1980s. So did Henry Aaron (but it was amphetamines, not steroids).

I think some of our outrage may be misplaced.

Guest sith lord
And its been SAID IN COURT BONDS TOOK STEROIDS.

Btw, point me to a link with said video or references to it..

They showed it on "Outside the Lines." About Barry Bonds, I'm mainly argueing points about him being this big jerk everyone seems to think he is.

So what constitutes an unfair advantage? Are records tainted because people can have Lasik now and don't have to wear thick glasses like they did in the 1920's???

How about painkillers? Is Ripkin's iron man streak tainted because of painkillers he might have taken to keep playing?

What about all ethnicities in the MLB? Were Ruth's records tainted because he only faced whites?

I think people are making much ado about nothing here. Records are always tainted, especially one's that were set 20, 40, 60, or 80 years ago.

Honest truth - the man pretty much is a dick. He is just like Ted Williams used to be - moody, self centered and carrying a chip on his shoulder the size of Rhode Island.

That's funny. I never understand why people hold Williams up like he was some great man - he was one of the biggest *******s to ever lace up cleats. I put him one notch below Ty Cobb.

They showed it on "Outside the Lines." About Barry Bonds, I'm mainly argueing points about him being this big jerk everyone seems to think he is.

1)No, you are playing the race card. Just like you did with lance and michelle wie.

2)Plenty of people have answered your question. Because he lies, because he's evasive about steriod questions, because he's an egomaniac. I also hate him because he wears wrist bands with his picture on them. Is that good enough for you? or are you going to tell 100 people their opinion is wrong?

I doubt crack helped him hit more homeruns, however, I'd ban him for that.

If I were the commish, there would be a lot of banned players.

Maybe not the coke, but there is no doubt that amphetamines help your baseball ability. No doubt at all.

1)No, you are playing the race card. Just like you did with lance and michelle wie.

2)Plenty of people have answered your question. Because he lies, because he's evasive about steriod questions, because he's an egomaniac. I also hate him because he wears wrist bands with his picture on them. Is that good enough for you? or are you going to tell 100 people their opinion is wrong?

Speaking of wristbands - lets not forget the Fort Knox he has on his left elbow. I also hate the way he lolligags in the outfield. I've seen him non-chalant (sp?) balls he thought were home runs just to have them bounce off the wall. :doh:

Guest sith lord

Don't get mad because I answered your question. If you don't like Bonds, so be it, you don't have to like him. But don't sit there and say he's a bad person because you don't like him.

On the other hand, he is not as bad as the national media portrays him. He has become a symbol of dickishness beyond his own actions, which are mostly just being curt and rude. Jeff Kent, for example, was an even bigger dick when he was here, but only the local fans know that. But there always has to be someone that becomes the symbol of what the writers dislike, and upon whom the focus turns again and again.

As far as his dedication to competing and winning - it is just about the best I have ever seen. He is so focused it's scary, and his head is always in the game. For example, you should see him in the on deck circle. He watches every single pitch to the player before him like a hawk, just to get a jump on the delivery and velocity of the pitcher that day. I have no doubt he 'roided up to get an edge. He is always trying to get an edge. That is how he has carried otherwise mediocre Giants teams to the playoffs again and again.

I think there may be some small racial component to the hatred of Bonds. I do think that McGwire, for example, was cut more slack than Bonds (people forget that McGwire was a surly **** too for much of his career).

However, I mostly think it is a matter of circumstances and media hype. Someone is always the ultimate bad guy. Right now, in baseball, it is Bonds. Heck - we Redskins fans should understand this. Bonds is like the Dan Snyder of baseball players. To everyone else in the league, Snyder is basically a arrogant jerk cheater playing fantasy football, the Richie Rich of the NFL. To us Redskins fans, he is just trying to win. We all know he's kind of a jerk, but he's our jerk and we appreciate how much he wants to win.

Bonds is the same way.

One final point.

Basically, you are kidding yourself if you really don't think that most baseball players took stuff during the Selig "look the other way" era. They all did. As a practical matter, they almost had to if they wanted to compete. As long as there was no testing, your merit was based solely on your success on the field, however you got there. Bonds cheated - so did YOUR favorite player on YOUR favorite team. So did all the Hogs on your favorite Redskins teams of the 1980s. So did Henry Aaron (but it was amphetamines, not steroids).

I think some of our outrage may be misplaced.

For the most part I agree. However the reason why Bonds is the lightning rod is not because of his relationship with the media, it is because he has the second greatest record in baseball and is on pace to break the greatest record in baseball.

Fact of the matter is if Bonds was a AAA Scrub who was roided up this would not be about Bonds. Likely it would be about someother player. In many ways I think McGwire was given a pass because HIS record was beat by Bonds.

Bonds in a way covered MCGwire by beating McGwire.

But you are right baseball has taken a big black eye from the past 15 years as players have been allowed by the union AND baseball to soup up. Now they are paying the price.

Speaking of price, it has been a VERY long time since I actually paid to see a MLB game. Mainly because I do not feel I am watching real talent. I think those days are behind us now.

Just a matter of question though. Say you were a journeyman AA baseball player and someone came up to you and said if you were 30 pounds heavier that you would have major league ability. Would you do the drugs to get to the majors?

That's funny. I never understand why people hold Williams up like he was some great man - he was one of the biggest *******s to ever lace up cleats. I put him one notch below Ty Cobb.

But they do. Which is why I can't escape the feeling that there is some small racial thing going on here. Parsonality wise, Williams and Bonds are almost the same guy from different eras, but Williams was not hated like Bonds is, and will be remembered much more fondly in the future.

Guest sith lord
Speaking of wristbands - lets not forget the Fort Knox he has on his left elbow. I also hate the way he lolligags in the outfield. I've seen him non-chalant (sp?) balls he thought were home runs just to have them bounce off the wall. :doh:

And he's the only one in the majors who have ever done that. :doh:

Guy does not lolly gag in the outfield. That is a myth. He doesn't move that well anymore, but he works out there. People expect perfection out of him that they expect from no one else.

The home run thing is true, but he only did that a couple of times and learned his lesson. Of course, Sportscenter replayed it 50000 times, so it might seem like it happens a lot.

Guest sith lord
Yes I do, I already gave it to you.

1) He is a cheater.

2) He is a liar.

thus

3) He is a bad person.

So are you going to answer MY question? Or are going to continue chasing my tail?

And you have never lied. If you have, I guess you're a bad person also. Still, you have not given a well thought, educated answer to why is he a bad person.

And you have never lied. If you have, I guess you're a bad person also. Still, you have not given a well thought, educated answer to why is he a bad person.

My question to you was.....

How do you know he is NOT a jerk? Do you know him or something.

Answer that question, THEN we can continue.

Archived