• Browns
    • Dolphins
    • Vikings
    • Cowpukes
    • Saints
    • Other

The Simpsons and King Renewed

Source: Variety March 20, 2006

Fox has officially announced that it will renew King of the Hill for an 11th season, even though the show halted production more than a year ago, says Variety. Also, The Simpsons has been given a greenlight for its 18th and 19th seasons -- keeping TV's longest-running entertainment series on the air through at least 2008.

With extra episodes already in the can, King of the Hill continued to run on Fox this year, even though the show had long ago closed up shop. With no new episodes ordered last year, the show's writers, vocal talents and production crew had all moved on, and 20th Century Fox TV let go of "King's" Century City offices.

"The network had made its peace with 'King of the Hill' wrapping up," said Gary Newman, 20th Century Fox TV president. "But lo and behold, it showed incredible resilience in terms of ratings. The network realized that the show could still work for them."

The long lead time for animation forces networks to decide whether to renew a show almost a year before the season starts.

Insiders said the key negotiation involved bringing back "King" co-creator Mike Judge, who also voices Hank Hill (the show's lead character). Judge agreed to do it as long as executive producers John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky also returned.

Altschuler and Krinsky, who were working on movie scripts but were still attached to 20th Century Fox TV, agreed to sign on. After that, and with "King's" other vocal stars back aboard, they brought back many of the show's former writers.

Because of its late start, King of the Hill won't be able to return next year until January at the earliest. That's fine by Fox, which mostly airs NFL overruns in the fall during the 7 p.m. hour anyway.

"King," which was created by Greg Daniels, is now in production on its 11th season. Altschuler, Krinsky, Judge and Daniels executive produce.

As for The Simpsons, the order takes the show into its 18th and 19th seasons, making it by far the longest-running comedy in the history of Fox.

The greenlight also means the 400th episode of The Simpsons will air in season 18; it's tentatively slated for May 20, 2007.

James L. Brooks and Matt Groening executive produce The Simpsons for Gracie Films and 20th Century Fox TV.

they need to move "K of H" into the 8:30 time slot and get rid of that crappy "war at home." more people would get hooked if it was sandwiched between the simpsons and family guy/sopranos. just a thought.

It allowed horrid Malcolm in the Middle to last for about 6 seasons too long. :whoknows:

That show does suck a fat one. Its like a less funny, less edgy Titus. (which i liked).

It allowed horrid Malcolm in the Middle to last for about 6 seasons too long. :whoknows:

That show does suck a fat one. Its like a less funny, less edgy Titus. (which i liked).

And at least Christopher Titus was a decent actor (i said decent, not good).

MITM was funny for a while, but really hit the wall hard after about 3 seasons. Titus was funny, but you can only take so many my dad was a bad dad jokes.

Simpsons is a mainstay, but do we really need to go for 19 seasons? King of the Hill is freakin hilarious. That show and Futurama up with Family Guy would rule the night.

I agree that KOTH has gotten some pretty poor time slots. Weren't they premiering at like 7:30 last fall? If they started with the Simpsons, went to KOTH, then to Family Guy; King of the Hill would take off...But as Dale would say:

"That's the calculated risk you take when unleashing a mongoose"

That's cool I guess. The Simpsons seem to have lost some appeal but I still really enjoy King of the Hill (so does my 19 month old son strangely enough).

Bobby after going golfing with Buck Strickland-

"Mr. Strickland got up under more balls than a midget hooker."

My personal quote

"Bouncing a ball in football , thats a fumble

Bouncing a ball in baseball, thats a ground

Bouncing a ball in hockey, well thats an automatic drug test right there."

I just wish they would stop with the Simpson's. I feel like it has simply become a parody of itself.

yeah, i remember a time when the characters were more rounded. bart acted like a mischevious 10 year-old and kept the charictaristics of a child. lisa didn't used to be so damn annoying (also used to be a child,) and homer wasn't a bumbling moron, but rather a man just trying to do the best he can to provide for his family.

I don't know what all the dislike is towards the Simpsons in here. It's still using the same formula it always has been, and still has been making the same jokes about celebrities and pop culture whenever possible as it's been doing since its birth. Homer's ALWAYS been a bumbling fool, that's the gimmick the show started with and has been running with ever since, I'll admit he was more heartfelt in the first couple seasons and they may have moved a little farther away from that, but so what? It's funnier when he is an idiot, plan and simple, it's an animated comedy show, not an after school special. The first few seasons were awful compared to how the show has developed; the animation is miles ahead, Bart isn't nearly as obnoxious as he once was, and the show has done a much better job of fleshing out other characters- Moe and Flanders come to mind immediately. If you want to talk about a show that's becoming a parody of itself then talk about Family Guy; while still funny it's quickly losing steam since the only characters that have really proven to be more than one dimensional so far are Stewie, Brian, and SOMETIMES Peter, otherwise everyone is still the exact same person since the first episode, and what's with the constant musical numbers in each episode now? I will agree that Malcolm in the Middle wore out its welcome though, and the War at Home is total garbage. Fox's biggest mistake recently however was booting Arrested Development from Sunday nights to the death slot of Mondays at 8. Fox pretty much assassinated arguably the most clever comedy on TV (and an Emmy winner no less) just because they didn't feel like paying for a cult hit anymore whie still letting trash like the War at Home and Nanny 911 exist.

I don't know what all the dislike is towards the Simpsons in here. It's still using the same formula it always has been, and still has been making the same jokes about celebrities and pop culture whenever possible as it's been doing since its birth. Homer's ALWAYS been a bumbling fool, that's the gimmick the show started with and has been running with ever since, I'll admit he was more heartfelt in the first couple seasons and they may have moved a little farther away from that, but so what? It's funnier when he is an idiot, plan and simple, it's an animated comedy show, not an after school special. The first few seasons were awful compared to how the show has developed; the animation is miles ahead, Bart isn't nearly as obnoxious as he once was, and the show has done a much better job of fleshing out other characters- Moe and Flanders come to mind immediately. If you want to talk about a show that's becoming a parody of itself then talk about Family Guy; while still funny it's quickly losing steam since the only characters that have really proven to be more than one dimensional so far are Stewie, Brian, and SOMETIMES Peter, otherwise everyone is still the exact same person since the first episode, and what's with the constant musical numbers in each episode now? I will agree that Malcolm in the Middle wore out its welcome though, and the War at Home is total garbage. Fox's biggest mistake recently however was booting Arrested Development from Sunday nights to the death slot of Mondays at 8. Fox pretty much assassinated arguably the most clever comedy on TV (and an Emmy winner no less) just because they didn't feel like paying for a cult hit anymore whie still letting trash like the War at Home and Nanny 911 exist.

Agree to disagree?

Agree to disagree?

Gladly. I know some people out there feel like the Simpsons is beginning to run its course, and to some extent I do actually agree, since there's still more they can do I guess, but if they ever start doing episodes centered around Hans Moleman or the spanish Bumblee guy, then it'll definitely be time to stop. There's even talk they might do a movie, which I can't imagine, since I have no idea what they would do to fill 2 hours.

What's sad is that both KOTH and the Simpson's are over the hill (I'm sorry but if you can't do a funny Sideshow Bob ep.---this year's was horrible---it's time to end the series for the Simpsons).

Yet, an incredible show on Cartoon Network- Justice League Unlimited- is being cancelled. It's truly one of the better cartoons on tv now.

BTW: CN is adding 26 new Futurama eps. to their line up........not a big fan, but good to hear.

Also: Venture Bros. new eps. in June!!!!!!

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy

Archived