Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: Marcus Washington

EvoSkins

Marcus has been the best LB on this team for the last two years. Only those blinded by a certain ex-Redskins hype, I'm tired of typing his name, was there constant debate over who the best was. This behind the scene's stuff from this article just shows that Marcus is not only a defensive team leader but an overall team leader that the coaching staff and players respect. Very much like a Monte Coleman, as one poster put it.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Marcus has been the best LB on this team for the last two years. Only those blinded by a certain ex-Redskins hype, I'm tired of typing his name, was there constant debate over who the best was. This behind the scene's stuff from this article just shows that Marcus is not only a defensive team leader but an overall team leader that the coaching staff and players respect. Very much like a Monte Coleman, as one poster put it.

Washington is good, but Lavar made you team. Just watch and wait and see.

LB Marcus Washington has been an outstanding addition who brings leadership and professionalism to the Redskins' locker room. Every week, he watches extra tape and spends more time in the weight room than required. He even has made use of the team dietitian to help him plan his meals away from the facility. On more than one occasion, team trainers have told coaches Washington was too beat up to practice, but Washington has refused to sit out. Redskins linebackers are required to give a report on their upcoming opponent every Friday, and Washington invariably points out something that escaped the coaching staff. . . .

and people want LaVar back :doh: ....

WASHINGTON=:helmet: :logo: :applause:

"and people want LaVar back ....

WASHINGTON= "

it's not either or......it's how the defense changes and where it can be attacked. depending on who is picked up to fil lthe gap.......the vulnerabilties of this defense will change. one thing is certain...it will not be, with the exception of the two tackles, as physical a defense at the point of attack.

Washington is good, but Lavar made you team. Just watch and wait and see.

Um, because of injuries and what not, Lavar has barely been on the field since we signed Washington. So I guess he made the team from the sidelines, huh?

it's not either or......it's how the defense changes and where it can be attacked. depending on who is picked up to fil lthe gap.......the vulnerabilties of this defense will change. one thing is certain...it will not be, with the exception of the two tackles, as physical a defense at the point of attack.

Why are you suggesting that WLB will now be a weakness? Of course the look of the D will change, but how do you know the person replacing Lavar will actually weaken the D, or as you suggest make it a less physical D? Lavar was out of shape and injuried so maybe the person replacing him will have better stamina, speed, and football smarts. Maybe just maybe Clemons or another LB'er on the roster will pull a Pierce or Marshall and blow up with the chance to play LB on a full time basis.

"Why are you suggesting that WLB will now be a weakness? Of course the look of the D will change, but how do you know the person replacing Lavar will actually weaken the D, or as you suggest make it a less physical D? Lavar was out of shape and injuried so maybe the person replacing him will have better stamina, speed, and football smarts. Maybe just maybe Clemons or another LB'er on the roster will pull a Pierce or Marshall and blow up with the chance to play LB on a full time basis."

I don't...any mpre than you do. what I do know is that he was the only real dominating physical presence at the LB spot that we had. that is now gone. the defense will have to adjust. the firsat time around the results were mixed. offenses knew that and attacked the edges - particularly away from MW. GW had to commit his CBs & safeties early to defense this. what with the receiving mix in the NFC East mix changing rapidly that may no longer work. we simply don't know yet. we do know that LBs don't grow on trees and that scheme only compensates to a point.

as for the LA didn't factor in mindset (not addressed to you)...sell this self-licking ice cream cone to someone else. down the stretch he factored in viscerally. his teammates know that and said as much. he's gone and we press to what we have in front of us.....not the mindless happy think that seems to dominate the conversation right now. hopefully, carter throws the calculation off enough where offenses have to adjust blocking patterns. we won't know until the season starts!

"I don't...any mpre than you do. what I do know is that he was the only real dominating physical presence at the LB spot that we had. that is now gone. the defense will have to adjust. the firsat time around the results were mixed. offenses knew that and attacked the edges - particularly away from MW. GW had to commit his CBs & safeties early to defense this. what with the receiving mix in the NFC East mix changing rapidly that may no longer work. we simply don't know yet. we do know that LBs don't grow on trees and that scheme only compensates to a point.

I think last years problems you are refering to was the Holdman experiment gone bad, which you will get no argument from me. I do agree that Lavar was physically intimidating but the strength of his game was never power. Lavar relied on his speed and instincts more then his raw power.

I just feel that it maybe to early to say the D will be less physical, due to the loss of Lavar, until we see who GW and Lindsey plug in. Given the track record of LB'ers under the two, Marshall and Pierce as evidence, is the only reason I disagree.

" think last years problems you are refering to was the Holdman experiment gone bad, which you will get no argument from me. I do agree that Lavar was physically intimidating but the strength of his game was never power. Lavar relied on his speed and instincts more then his raw power.

I just feel that it maybe to early to say the D will be less physical, due to the loss of Lavar, until we see who GW and Lindsey plug in. Given the track record of LB'ers under the two, Marshall and Pierce as evidence, is the only reason I disagree."

fair enough! while I think the physical dimension will be missed much more than some might think, the fact is that we have a new problem in front of us that will require different tweaks to resolve. it will be intersting to watch and hopefully will result in yet more unexpected coaching brilliance and players rising above expectations.

fair enough! while I think the physical dimension will be missed much more than some might think, the fact is that we have a new problem in front of us that will require different tweaks to resolve. it will be intersting to watch and hopefully will result in yet more unexpected coaching brilliance and players rising above expectations.

I can agree with that. It is after all only common sense to question the ability of the defense after a member of the unit is no longer here.

THAT is why he is the best player on our defense. Period. No competition.
I totally agree with you dog. I was at the dallas game (the second time we played them) this guy was playing with FIRE. MW is a beast. the play of that game for me, was when he hit Jason Whitten out of bounds:laugh:

We will see how things play out this season. The one thing LA brought to the defense was a physical presence none of the other LBs have. If we bring in brand X to play weakside/strongside LB other teams are going to run at his side until we demonstrate we can stop it. washington is also going to receive more attention with strong side TE. Oddly...the key to all of this, assuming we do go with brand X, is oging to be CB depth. We will continue to have to rely on strong CB play off the edge and that, as we have seen, has led to a higher injury rate.

Okay, so Lavar didn't start the first half of the season, and only two games the season before. Our defense has been lights out without Lavar but he changes the face of our defense. Teams are going to run to that side because Lavar is gone. I had my man crush on Lavar for a while but a friend of mine, huge Skins fan, pointed out Lavar's flaws and I couldn't help but notice how easily he's fooled on play action. His physical presence is what offensive coordinaters bank on and that's why he's so easily fooled. For every big play Lavar made he missed three.

Lavar will excel on a team that has great LB's and safeties to compliment him, allowing him to unleash the beast. He's just not suited for a disclipine oriented defense. I loved the guy, thought he was great but no matter how much you like him you can't ignore the facts.

"Okay, so Lavar didn't start the first half of the season, and only two games the season before. Our defense has been lights out without Lavar but he changes the face of our defense. Teams are going to run to that side because Lavar is gone. I had my man crush on Lavar for a while but a friend of mine, huge Skins fan, pointed out Lavar's flaws and I couldn't help but notice how easily he's fooled on play action. His physical presence is what offensive coordinaters bank on and that's why he's so easily fooled. For every big play Lavar made he missed three.

Lavar will excel on a team that has great LB's and safeties to compliment him, allowing him to unleash the beast. He's just not suited for a disclipine oriented defense. I loved t"

whatever. you too..it appears....are not immune to emotionalisms. gee whiz...a huge Skins fan is he? good enough credentials for me!

btw...our lights out defense (i.e., top five) only got us to 5-11. get the full story if you want to be a reporter. it was good, but hardly dominating last season. and the critical wins came with you k now who in the lineup. fact is...the truth is where it has always been: somewhere in the middle. the other fact is that until a suitable replacement is found, money or no money, the team was weakened at the LB position.

Lavar got buried by Jeremy Shockey for a touchdown. He also had that interception in the playoffs, where he ran slow as **** down the field. He looked like an old man. I'm not saying that Lavar can't get back to his old form, but I AM saying that, in the last 2 years, Lavar has not been this man you describe as a "beast". Just have a look at that one dude's sig, where it shows before & after pics of Lavar. Lavar needs to hit up John Basedow, period.

It's not about the hype on or off the field that makes Marcus what he is, it is the heart that makes the man. That is what makes us notice him when people overlook him. It is that he makes plays and gives his time to charities and go extra miles because he knows to step up to the plate, he knows that it is better to lead by example......even when the spotlight is not given to him when we feel he deserves it.

Regardless of the spotlight he may or may not receive, he will always be my favorite redskin...:wavetowel

Archived