Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Cap doom? Hardly.

Art

Just excuse me and others when we read this and laugh on the inside at how dellusional some of you have become.

delusional - - "certainty (held with absolute conviction)

incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or proof to the contrary)

impossibility or falsity of content (implausible, bizarre or patently untrue)

These criteria still live on in modern psychiatric diagnosis. In the most recent Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a delusion is defined as:

A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everybody else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary."

Hmmm..... wonder who this sounds like?

What cap hell? I said what would happen if the CBA wasn't extended and I'll stand behind it. Everyone on your side just keeps saying there would have been no problems with or without an extension but NO ONE can actually break it down on paper and show how you would have saved enough on restructures alone to get under the cap.

And, as you've already been shown and told, we'd have cut the SAME players we did cut, and STILL made the move for Lloyd and had a bit of change left over for other small moves even if there wasn't a CBA. That's a fact, even if you can't wrap your wee head around it. Remember, only one of us has ever actually spoken to the person who does this job for his team. If you think I'm going to take the word of an Eagle fan who's never seen our contracts and doesn't understand how they work over the guy who wrote them, you're just not all that bright :).

Cause you don't get it.

His contract is not as big as it looks.

You look at his 6yr./$30million contract and say 'They are paying him $5million a year'. :rolleyes:

No they aren't. He'll never see the last 2 years of that contract (which is heavily back-loaded). And he and his agent, I'm sure, don't expect to.

All these guys are playing for is the bonus (which is spread out over the life of the contract) and some of the base salary.

After 4 years, if they are unhappy with him, they'll let him go, and take what's left of the cap hit. But if they want him to stay, they simply re-structure his deal, give him another bonus, spread THAT over the new deal, and make his base salaries minimal hits in the first few years of the new contract.

You see, this is the whole cash solves cap thing. To make the cap work for you like this, you haft to be willing to spend the CASH. And as Gibbs pointed out, there are just too many owners (*cough*Lurie*cough*) in the NFL that aren't willing to do that.

I guess it sucks for you, huh? :)

That's exactly the point---and the reason that most people misunderstand the Skins signings is because the media loves to portray the huge contract numbers, but says nothing about the fact that the last two yrs of that money is money the player will never see.

Why would we be giddy? The Eagles FA class is better than the Skins and much cheaper.

Howard > Carter

Gaffney > Randel El

Schoebel > NE 3rd String TE

Archuletta > Barber

Just because you pay a player at a certain level doesn't mean they are a player at that level.

Yep, thanks for clearing up the delusional part :).

Holy crap who is the dellusional one here? :laugh:

You guys hype your own signings but throwing a ton of money at marginal players doesn't suddenly make them great.

Howard is a better DE than Carter. You can't argue this.

Gaffney has had better production than Randel El. Period. Even with Carr on his back more than throwing.

The 3rd string NE TE doesn't worry me much....good luck with him.

But yeah, I'm dellusional.

You guys hype your own signings but throwing a ton of money at marginal players doesn't suddenly make them great.

Gaffney has had better production than Randel El. Period. Even with Carr on his back more than throwing.

It remains to be seen who will be the better player in 2006 and beyond.

But what we do know is this, all the guys the Skins signed were top priority targets by the best coaching staff in football. So it speaks volumes to me if Al Saunders wanted ARE and not Gaffney and GW wanted Andre Carter and not Howard.

Remember WB, if the Skins had wanted anybody Philly ended up signing, history shows, they would have gotten them.

You should think about taking a peek at the big picture, my friend. For example, your WRs will be led by Gaffney, Darnerian and Thad Pinkston. Randle El will be in a group with Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd and Dave Patten. Yes, we've invested more money in our WRs. And yes, they will outproduce the ragtag bunch Philly will trot out each week.

WB,

Why is Howard better than Carter. Carter didn't even play DE a year ago. Carter's three years younger, has had a better single season at defensive end than any by Howard. Our guy is more versatile. Howard is a good player though. Gaffney averaged 8.9 yards a catch or some such. Pittsburgh didn't pass all that often which is similar to Houston not protecting well in terms of impact on production. In any case, where is Gaffney's production on special teams? You do know that counts in terms of value, right?

You're a pretty funny guy, but, you're not this funny to pull this off.

Fantastic, Art. The Truth, laid out bare and clean.

I know, and you know, there will be a torrential response of "how many championships has that won for you", but the irritating truth of what you actually addressed will haunt minds. That's a good thing.

Since you completely ignore the reality of the situation with our respective signings I probably shouldn't waste my time trying to explain this to you but here goes:

Gaffney has had better production than Randel El. Period.

REALLY? DO YOU WANT TO REVISE THIS STATEMENT?

Carrer totals:

ARE Receiving:

TOTAL 64 23 162 2012 12.4 63 7 31 3 95

Gaffney Receving:

TOTAL 64 50 171 2009 11.7 69 7 24 1 113

ARE Rushing

TOTAL 64 23 54 316 5.9 43 0 3 17

Gaffney Rushing

TOTAL 64 50 9 56 6.2 13 0 0 3

ARE Passing

TOTAL 64 23 16 14 87.5 128 8.00 51 2 0 1/10 2 1 139.6

Gaffney Passing

TOTAL 64 50 5 1 20.0 39 7.80 39 1 0 0/0 1 0 99.2

ARE Kick Return

TOTAL 64 78 1742 22.3 99 1 3

Gaffney Kick Return (He REALLY kills ARE on this stat!!)

TOTAL 64 2 31 15.5 27 0 0

ARE Punt Return

TOTAL 64 168 48 1594 9.5 84 4 22

Gaffney Punt Return (Yep He's pretty close to ARE here too!!)

TOTAL 64 7 1 19 2.7 15 0 0

So WB...does he have better production period or not?

I'm not even wasting my time debating you on other points since you just make crap up to support your arguments.

"You guys hype your own signings but throwing a ton of money at marginal players doesn't suddenly make them great."

Seemed to make Santana Moss pretty ok.

What you fail to realize is that these aren't marginal talents, and that is why these signings will be a bargain in 2 years. Their play has been dictated by the situations of the teams they played for, just as Santana's was. What you must realize and admit, is that the Redskin's talent evaluators are a bit better at evaluating talent then you are. You must also admit that you have been wrong from the beginning, about the impending Cap Hell. Even, as Art pointed out, had the CBA not been extended, we'd have cut no startes and would have still had room to make some moves. Hardly Cap Hell!!!!!

I think I am most excited by the Carter signing. I think we are getting a DE that with the help of GW can explode onto the scene. He has the quickness and speed to be a dangerous end. His history show he is capable of it. He did not do as well playing OLB but now he will be a full time DE. I am hoping GW can do for him what he did for Kearse while with the Titans.

WB,

Why is Howard better than Carter. Carter didn't even play DE a year ago. Carter's three years younger, has had a better single season at defensive end than any by Howard. Our guy is more versatile. Howard is a good player though. Gaffney averaged 8.9 yards a catch or some such. Pittsburgh didn't pass all that often which is similar to Houston not protecting well in terms of impact on production. In any case, where is Gaffney's production on special teams? You do know that counts in terms of value, right?

You're a pretty funny guy, but, you're not this funny to pull this off.

So you freely admit you are taking a 3-4 LB and putting expecting him to do great things in Williams defense at DE, where we all know he likes his DEs to be all around players, against the pass and run. Thanks.

In regards to Gaffney vs Randel El, don't make the mistake of comparing their production again. Please.

From Around the NFL:

They both have caught exactly 7 TDs in their careers. ARE has thrown 2 TDs, Gaffney has thrown 1 TD. ARE has made 95 catches for a First Down, Gaffney has 113. ARE has a special teams highlight reel that Gaffney doesn't have. Or doesn't have yet, who knows. The Eagles sure do have a need for a return man.

But hey, they paid him like an elite number 1, he must be a great player.

So you freely admit you are taking a 3-4 LB and putting expecting him to do great things in Williams defense at DE, where we all know he likes his DEs to be all around players, against the pass and run. Thanks.

In regards to Gaffney vs Randel El, don't make the mistake of comparing their production again. Please.

From Around the NFL:

But hey, they paid him like an elite number 1, he must be a great player.

That's it. Dance around your inane claim that Gaffney is better than Randel El.

Gaffney has started more than twice the games that Randel El has and their receiving numbers are nearly equal. Gaffney has been a #2 receiver his entire career, meaning he is pretty much on the field for every offensive snap, and his numbers are pretty pedestrian. And don't give me the argument that Houston's passing game was poor because Pittsburgh was ranked in the mid 20s in passing.

The reason that Randel El merits considerably more money than Gaffney is his versatility and his explosiveness. Gaffney has accounted for 8 TDs in his career. Randel El had 6 last year including the playoffs. He has accounted for 16 in his career.

Randel El's overall value is considerably higher but that is irrelevant. As the article stated, Randel El's value to the Redskins is 7 years, $30M. It matters not one iota if any other team in the league feels he is worth it. It only matters that the Redskins felt he was a good fit and filled a big need. The signing will not cost them one player either now or in the future.

The only questions that should be asked are:

1. Did the Skins need a #3 receiver and kr/pr?

2. Will Randel El improve the Skins?

Not speaking for Art, but he's played a 4-3 end his whole football career until SF switched to the 3-4. He's actually going back to the position he played the year he had 12 sacks. His production dropped as a 3-4 LB. He's a natural 4-3 end.

Wow.....All this commotion because they signed a bunch of players. Big deal. None of these guys are special. None of these guys are must haves. Who says so. Well that would be Art who wrote the article and is now on the verge of orgasm because these guys were signed but before they were signed he said this....

"This is a somewhat different market than we see in that NONE of the players is SOOOOO coveted or established we can't live without. Randle El knows Lloyd is on tap. So, he may not come regardless of money. We won't really know until that develops. Maybe Carter is being told we see him as a full-time linebacker, which he would like less -- or vice versa -- and he might be a harder sell. Archuleta wants to be loved .

I think there's a little less urgency on our part with some of these guys because we have fewer gaps to fill and they are guys who are generally young, with upside who aren't totally established as star players, so the market is less set on them."

Come on Art if there was no urgency and they weren't must haves then what the heck is all the chest thumping about?

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147915&page=1&pp=15

Archived