Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Cap doom? Hardly.

Art

Art, what were the Skins in last year when they let a few "corps Redskins" go while signing pretty much nobody, by Skins standards? Seriously, if this method of FO management is so foolproof, how come it didn't work last year?

Last year, it was spun as "We don't do things like this anymore with Joe aboard. The free spending ways are a thing of the past. We want continuity now."

Art, what were the Skins in last year when they let a few "corps Redskins" go while signing pretty much nobody, by Skins standards? Seriously, if this method of FO management is so foolproof, how come it didn't work last year?

Last year, it was spun as "We don't do things like this anymore with Joe aboard. The free spending ways are a thing of the past. We want continuity now."

"corps Redskins" is this a zombie movie??? :eaglesuck

The coaches ARE keeping Corp Redskins just b/c WE THINK WE know who they are doesn't mean WE do.

Art, what were the Skins in last year when they let a few "corps Redskins" go while signing pretty much nobody,

Hey if Santana Moss is nobody I'll take a bunch of nobody's every day of the week over anyone on the Eagles.

We didn't let anyone walk who we couldn't replace and who valued themselves higher than we thought they were worth. Now if the Eagles do something like that then it's genius, if the skins do it, it's stupidity? Please...

WB, we spent big in 2004. That means 2005 is a rest year. This year wasn't. Next year will be. We have achieved a high level of continuity. We have 10 of 11 starters remaining on the offense with one moving into a reserve role. We have 9 (8 if you consider Harris a starter) starters returning on defense. That's continuity. Making the roster better while maintaining that is something you guys have NEVER figured out.

We'll do this again in 2008 as we need to.

As for core Redskins, I'll say you don't understand the concept. Being a core Redskin is a two-way street. Not just us to them.

What didn't work last year? I seem to remember making it into the playoffs... the Eagles might have missed that from their couches...

Continuity is achieved by signing these young individuals to long term contracts. Kind of like the contracts that every young addition has signed this year so far during free agency.

If you're angry that your team doesn't spend money to bring people in, write them a letter. Don't get snotty with Art about the Redskins doing something that you wish your team was doing. If everything goes well next year, will you be writing an article to apoligize for the recent years of doubting what our front office is doing?

...Seriously, if this method of FO management is so foolproof, how come it didn't work last year?

First off, how didn't it work last year? Who was the only NFC East team to advance to the second round of the playoffs? Who went 5-1 in their division? I know the answer is in here somewhere... :logo:

This team does everything it can to improve every year. Whether it's getting the right players or the right coaches, the FO is always running it right to the limit. At least our FO has some balls and is willing to put their money where their mouth is. Every other team talks about improving, the Skins take action.

Art - that was a great read. Nicely done.

First off, how didn't it work last year? Who was the only NFC East team to advance to the second round of the playoffs? Who went 5-1 in their division? I know the answer is in here somewhere... :logo:

This team does everything it can to improve every year. Whether it's getting the right players or the right coaches, the FO is always running it right to the limit. At least our FO has some balls and is willing to put their money where their mouth is. Every other team talks about improving, the Skins take action.

Art - that was a great read. Nicely done.

When I said "didn't work" I mean not being able to spend freely like Art says this approach will make you able to do every year. You lost guys you wanted to keep, because of the restraints of the salary cap. Period.

When I said "didn't work" I mean not being able to spend freely like Art says this approach will make you able to do every year. You lost guys you wanted to keep, because of the restraints of the salary cap. Period.

I didn't say we could spend every year, WB. I said we could spend freely this year, despite everything we've heard. And, the future cap hell now predicted will be met with something exactly the same as this, just as this met previous predictions. We did not lose guys we wanted to keep because of restraints of the cap.

We lost guys we wanted to keep because of restraints of contracts within groups of players, as they fit within the cap. But, I know you don't understand the layering.

I'm confused. No one left last year that was previously identified as a "core Redskin" by Gibbs? Help me out.

What he means is that, while the organization will give, the player has to give as well. Pierce and Smoot were given reasonable offers by the organization, but they decided to take offers elsewhere. Being a "core Redskin" doesn't mean they are going to resign them at any cost.

Jason

Last year wasn't a case of not being able to sign folks b/c of the cap.

The Redskins could've, for example, given Smoot and Pierce more in thier contact offer.

However, the Redskins weren't going to give Smoot more than Springs. We weren't going to give Pierce more than Marcus Washington.

So they put a ceiling on thier offers. They were only going to go so high, no matter what the cap was.

Same with Ryan Clark this year. They obviously could've offered more, but they weren't going to. He's a decent player, but with limited ability. There's no reason to break the bank on him when you can find others like him.

What we said last year still goes. With Gibbs here, we are getting YOUNG, good players to fill the holes on our team.

This isn't some irrational spending spree. Every player we got fills a need. This is a controlled, very measured response to the shortcomings this team had.

The contracts may seem big, but if you read other threads about them here, you will see they aren't as big as they look.

I know you still can't get over the fact that the Redskins aren't in "cap hell" like you've been predicting, but you are just going to haft to accept the fact that thier F.O. knows what it is doing. :)

(And you are also going to have to accept the fact that the Eagle F.O. is CHEAP!). :)

Thats a bit thick, don't you think? Calling all the other teams stupid?

I hope your asbestos underwear doesn't itch too much...its going to be a long season.

Stupid is as stupid does sir. Doesn't matter what happens during the year to know what's happening now is awfully silly in most cities.

What he means is that, while the organization will give, the player has to give as well. Pierce and Smoot were given reasonable offers by the organization, but they decided to take offers elsewhere. Being a "core Redskin" doesn't mean they are going to resign them at any cost.

Jason

WB, read this. Understand it. Use this to contextualize any core Redskin reference as this is it.

Archived