Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should I buy a Ford Explorer or Expedition?

GeorgeAllen

Can we stand pat at LB  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Can we stand pat at LB

• Yes
    • No

Ive been thinking and I like the explorers and expeditions alot but I have read alot of reviews and they are known to have their problems. Anybody have any feedback on these (horror stories, praise etc.)? I see alot of these at games so I figured this wouldnt be a bad thread.

HTTR

Dale:helmet:

Glad this question was brought up. I myself am looking for an SUV as well. I need one to haul down alot of my belongings back and forth between Louisiana and Virginia. Im not trying to break the bank, Im looking for an SUV that would last me for 4-5 years that I would be taking 1,000 mile trips in at least 4 times a year. Thinking of anywhere from a 94 to 97 model consisting of a Grand Cherokee, Explorer, or 4-runner. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Had an accord back in highschool, it was great and all but I need an SUV now to transport alot of belongings.

1) I'm assuming that the reason you're looking at a large SUV is because you need a large SUV for one reason or another. Therefore, I'm not going to get into the pro-/anti-SUV discussion.

(Although I will state that, IMO, the difference between an SUV and a minivan isn't as clear as some might think. Both can cary people and/or cargo in various configurations. The minivan will be lower, (which means less visability on the road, but more visibility when parking) and lighter (better gas milage, less rugged in a colision)).

2) I talked my parents into getting an explorer. (My primary decision factors were: Mom has arthritis, so we needed a vehicle where the seat was high enough so she could get in without squatting, but low enough that she didn't have to climp up to get in. And the back seat had to handle a 6' 5" passenger with a 6' person in the front.)

They got the XLT version, with a leather interior. The only problems after 18 months is that the vinyl portions of the leather seats have split in two places. (The first happened shortly after we picked it up, and the dealer replaced the seat. The second I just noticed, and I haven't taken it in yet.)

I have an an Explorer and Expedition. The Explorer has plenty of room for the three of us. My wife likes the Expedition because with a 3 year old it give her more room to maneuver when she has to get in the back seat to take care of the little one. The Explorer gets about 18 miles per gallon, the Expedition gets about 14.

I have an an Explorer and Expedition. The Explorer has plenty of room for the three of us. My wife likes the Expedition because with a 3 year old it give her more room to maneuver when she has to get in the back seat to take care of the little one. The Explorer gets about 18 miles per gallon, the Expedition gets about 14.

Have you had any troubles or is there something you dislike or love about these vehicles? Any insight would be much appreciated.

I bought an Expedition and had to have the ball joints replaced at 37k miles and got rid of it shortly thereafter. It was a gas hog but the wife felt very safe driving it...and from what I've witnessed of her driving I would say that she actually was much safer than those around her.

I am a Jeep guy myself.........I had a Grand Cherokee with 175k miles and only had to have the power steering pump replaced at 80k and a leaking trans cooling line fixed at 120k....a total of about $400 in repairs other than routine tires, brakes, maintenance. I may have just been lucky but since I had such a good experience I went and bought an '05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 last summer and love it.

I have an older (98) Explorer. It has been OK. Ride likes a truck...well because it is a truck (sorta')....sucks on gas mileage because it has a 5.0 Liter V8...I have had problems with the check engine light for a couple of years now. The Ford dealer kept telling me it was the catylic converter and wanted $700 to replace it. I didn't do it. I have had to put in about $600 bucks in this year for misc. stuff. I have had electrical problems the last two years with it...power locks, stereo, and speakers. I had the whole Firestone Tire fiasco to deal with right after I got it...Ford initially didn't give me 4 new tires because I wasn't in the original recall group eventhough I had Firestones. I ended up paying for 4 new tires myself and then Ford broadened the recall and I was reimbursed for the tires.

Bottome line. It is a good tailgate vehicle. It is an uncomfortable ride. It sucks on gas. I didn't buy a new one when I bought a vehicle last summer.

:2cents:

I had a 97 explorer and than an 01 Expedition. Purchased both of them new. Two of the finest and most reliable vehicles Ive ever owned. Put 75,000 mile on both and turned them in. The Explorer needed a new battery once when I lived in Cleveland and the Expedition was never in for service even once. I thought the Expedition rode nicely in comparison to other SUV's ive driven.

Archived