Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp

dent19

I don't you but I pegged you pretty well.

So now you're saying you're not even into hip hop that much, yet you know whats good for it?

I said it wasn't my first choice half the time when listening to music. Since when does that equate to me saying "I don't even like it that much." AND I never said I knew what was good for hip hop. I just said Three Six Mafia was bad for it. Sounds like someone is into twisting words.

You pegged me pretty well because of how general you were. White and in college? Wow. You're a real psychic over there. I will give you the Def Jux point though.

Also, I don't really buy that Ron Burgundy and Gold just knew all that about Who Del based on just what he said in that post. Who Del just recently started a thread about how great Def Jux is. He's 20(assumption of college isn't a bad one). The fact that Del would a reference to Del the funkee homosapien is a pretty obvious one(he even mentioned it in the aforementioned thread). Everyone in college wears a backpack. ect, ect.

Thank you. Look at my post below you. He "pegged" me because of how vague he was being. It's not hard to figure out I'm in college when my age and my location both are pretty good indicators of where I am at. I forgot I started the Def Jux thread. But you're right. I'm sure he didn't see it.

Thank you. Look at my post below you. He "pegged" me because of how vague he was being. It's not hard to figure out I'm in college when my age and my location both are pretty good indicators of where I am at. I forgot I started the Def Jux thread. But you're right. I'm sure he didn't see it.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you cheer for the Moutaineers and enjoy beer - am i right?

I also feel it should be mentioned that mainstream, underground or otherwise, no hip-hop today comes anywhere close to being as good as any of the great acts from the mid-90s. Wu-Tang's 36 chambers(also Raekwon and GZAs early solo albums), Nas' Illmatic, Organized Konfusion, all pretty much kill anything that's come out in the past 10 years.

Sometimes I pop in Stress: The Extinction Agenda and wonder why people still make hip-hop, when it's already been done so perfectly.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you cheer for the Moutaineers and enjoy beer - am i right?

You're right that I cheer for the 'Eers. Wrong about beer. Horrible stuff. I'd rather drink liquor. Or smoke a blunt. Or does that make me too much of an underground hip hop head?

I also feel it should be mentioned that mainstream, underground or otherwise, no hip-hop today comes anywhere close to being as good as any of the great acts from the mid-90s. Wu-Tang's 36 chambers(also Raekwon and GZAs early solo albums), Nas' Illmatic, Organized Konfusion, all pretty much kill anything that's come out in the past 10 years.

Agreed. :applause:

Just saw Wu Tang at the 9:30 club recently and they were amazing. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

You're right that I cheer for the 'Eers. Wrong about beer. Horrible stuff. I'd rather drink liquor. Or smoke a blunt. Or does that make me too much of an underground hip hop head?

Damn, one out of two - my psychic abilities must be hampered by the overcast conditions. :mad:

Smoke blunts + hip hop = baggy pants.

For the record, I rarely post in Tailgate and had no idea you made a Def Jux post.

I've been listening to hip hop music since I was a kid and I can easily admit that most of what your getting nowadays is nowhere near what it once was.

But that includes Def Jux, Stones Throw, and the like. Just because the lyrics are more thought provoking than most of the crap you hear on the radio doesn't make it good or any better than acts like 36 Mafia. I'd take a Juicy J beat over an El-P beat any day of the week.

Damn, one out of two - my psychic abilities must be hampered by the overcast conditions. :mad:

Smoke blunts + hip hop = baggy pants.

I let my pants be baggy but I do not let them hang like everybody elses. With that being said. Hip Hop is terrible now, when you come out with a song called shake that Laffy Taffy and make millions off it that is just terrible. When Nas hangs it up rap is just going to be so mainstream it won't make any sense. That is why I stick to Chirstian rap, they don't rap for money and you can tell they think about everything they say. If yah want to check it out check out: www.crossmovementrecords.com

For the record, I rarely post in Tailgate and had no idea you made a Def Jux post.

I've been listening to hip hop music since I was a kid and I can easily admit that most of what your getting nowadays is nowhere near what it once was.

But that includes Def Jux, Stones Throw, and the like. Just because the lyrics are more thought provoking than most of the crap you hear on the radio doesn't make it good or any better than acts like 36 Mafia. I'd take a Juicy J beat over an El-P beat any day of the week.

While I disagree with everything you just said. I wil say that the only thing I DO like about Three Six Mafia is their beats. Some of them are pretty nice. If you have this song

Three Six Mafia - Playa Hataz

It's one of my all time favorite beats. It's really, really old though.

I'm not even really a 36 fan. I don't own any of thier albums nor do I ever really plan to. I enjoy hearing them in certain settings like at a club or a party in small doses. What I respect about them is thier hustle. From Bum**** sellin tapes out the back of thier cars to where they are now. I also don't see how they are whats wrong with hip hop.

I'm not even really a 36 fan. I don't own any of thier albums nor do I ever really plan to. I enjoy hearing them in certain settings like at a club or a party in small doses. What I respect about them is thier hustle. From Bum**** sellin tapes out the back of thier cars to where they are now. I also don't see how they are whats wrong with hip hop.

My original post mentioned their attitude. I respect that. It's just that how can a group who makes a song called "Slob On My Knob" be good for hip hop? Their lyrics all blend together and they're essentially all talking about the same thing. Bling, hot ****es, cars, and drugs. That can be fun but not when every song that is out sounds like that.

Sometimes I pop in Stress: The Extinction Agenda and wonder why people still make hip-hop, when it's already been done so perfectly.

The Golden Age of Hip Hop was 1988.

The Golden Age of Hip Hop was 1988.

'88 had some great stuff. I'm not even going to try to pretend that stuff like Follow The Leader, Three Feet High and Rising and Nation of Millions isn't incredible. I just think that overall that stuff hasn't aged as well as Wu-Tang, Nas, or Organized Konfusion.

Stay Fly is a pretty good song. So, I'll give them that.

What I think the problem is with rap today is that there is such a low focus on actual skill as a rapper. It's all about the beats now. I mean look at the best reviewed rap albums of the past year.(based on metacritics top 30.)

Edan - Beauty and the Beat - This album has been described as rap music's Pet Sounds. I think that's enough to say that the focus in on production

Kanye West - Late Registration - Someone who made a name for himself as a producer, and doesn't have the great flow.

I conclude that people are trying to make great rap music without any concern about the actual rapping.

That said, I think that the production today is often very good, and I think alot of the absolute best current stuff is instrumental hip-hop. (RJD2, Prefuse 73, DJ Shadow)

Sometimes a song is just what it is -- not meant to display any superior lyrical skills -- just to make a point, just to express a sentiment. This song was as perfect for a film as any. It was both descriptive and symbolic of the movie. As objectionable as the song is, the movie was indeed about it being hard for a pimp.

Good for them - good for Three 6 Mafia, a group that has been on the grind for so long. I have plenty of opinions about the subject matter of some hip-hop (and images of black people in general) but, again, this was a movie about it being hard for a pimp. Good for them -- this song was about some people's reality, a reality as valid as any.

Good for them. In fact, I'm poppin' my collar right now...

I was going to say the same thing. Hip-hop is pretty much done.

I do still love a few artist: Ludacris, outkast, etc.

Frankly I think it's terrible this song won. One of the worst aspects of black life is being rewarded. For many people, this is their only exposure to the African-American community and it gives off the impression that black men are nothing but pimps and black women are only good for sex. The black community has a lot more than that to offer and, unfortunately, the media only wants to focus on the negative, stereotypical aspects. This is just sad!

For more info, read this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601461.html

Frankly I think it's terrible this song won. One of the worst aspects of black life is being rewarded. For many people, this is their only exposure to the African-American community and it gives off the impression that black men are nothing but pimps and black women are only good for sex. The black community has a lot more than that to offer and, unfortunately, the media only wants to focus on the negative, stereotypical aspects. This is just sad!

For more info, read this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601461.html

No offense, but there's reason in your post to think you haven't seen the movie. The heroine of the piece is a white prostitute who's enterprise, pride and drive are inspirational. The hero, the pimp, is also a pretty nice guy, highly motivated and deeply caring for his woman, as well as apparently monogamous and supporting an extended family. His girl friend is an utterly kind and giving person, thrilled to be part of a meaningful enterprize. The song is also terrific, and fits the movie perfectly. I found it one of the better pictures of the year, entirely heart warming, and would have given out some acting awards to the cast. It's also a brilliant look at inter-city culture...wish I had had a hand in its creation.

Yeah, and "pimp" and "rent" don't even rhyme.

Archived