Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp

dent19

As a black man, I was embarrassed.

Thank you, Sith Lord! I don't care if the pimp of the movie was "a nice guy." That's not the only thing available to black men if they work hard. Why do we continue to hurt ourselves?

The sheer absurdity of the performance just before the award was given sealed it for me. Those dudes didn't belong in that building. I guarantee that at least one of them brought a gun with them. These guys are GREAT role models for young kids, white and black alike. It's ignorant to assume that people like this don't influence society in a negative way.

The sheer absurdity of the performance just before the award was given sealed it for me. Those dudes didn't belong in that building. I guarantee that at least one of them brought a gun with them. These guys are GREAT role models for young kids, white and black alike. It's ignorant to assume that people like this don't influence society in a negative way.

People like YOU affect society in a negative way.

Wait they were invited to perform but they don’t belong in the building? I’m sure the Oscars knew who they were before they invited them. And they stayed true to who they are. For that I applaud them for not thinking they had to conform to the Oscars.

“I guarantee that at least one of them brought a gun with them.” And you call them ignorant? Your right these guys shouldn’t be role models for young kids but that is beside the point. I’m sick of celebrities having to be the role models to kids. Its because parents aren’t parents anymore, they let TV and Radio raise their kids and get mad at celebrities when their kid comes out all screwed up … Now that’s ignorant.

Three Six is the first black hip-hop group to win the Oscars. Would they have been my first choice to do so? No … but as black people we understand that its not how we get in the door it’s the fact that we get through it. (E.g. See Halle Berry’s role in Monster’s Ball (Raunchy sex scene) and Denzel Washington’s role in Training Day (Crooked Cop)).

I don’t post here too often, I usually just read while I’m at work but I found you post … ignorant.

Now I see what stwasm was talking about. Guys like you see this and draw your own stereotypical conclusions.

Guest sith lord

The big problem I have is that kids, particularly boys, want to emulate the lyrics of the song and look up to these guys. So I do agree that they influence society in a negative way. You wouldn't believe how many times a 13-15 year old told me he was pimping.

The big problem I have is that kids, particularly boys, want to emulate the lyrics of the song and look up to these guys. So I do agree that they influence society in a negative way. You wouldn't believe how many times a 13-15 year old told me he was pimping.

The term has taken on so many different meanings that its basically lost all its juice though.

yeah but Sith Lord, that are what parents are for...I listened to NWA in HS, but I didn't want to go out and kill anyone or emulate them NWA...it is entertainment...this argument about music or movies influencing kids never comes up in regards to the Terminator series of movies or the movie HEAT..it is a cop out.

yeah but Sith Lord, that are what parents are for...I listened to NWA in HS, but I didn't want to go out and kill anyone or emulate them NWA...it is entertainment...this argument about music or movies influencing kids never comes up in regards to the Terminator series of movies or the movie HEAT..it is a cop out.

Bingo!!!! If your kid turns out screwed up it’s because you aren’t a good parent. Not because a rapper decided to rhyme ‘pimp’ with ‘rent’. I also have listened to hip-hop my whole life … I have never went to jail, carried a gun,or been in a gang. You know why? Because my parents made sure of that. They were parents 24X7 until I became a man.

Too many parents are raising their kids on “cruise control” then they get upset when their kids crash into a ditch.

Bingo!!!! If your kid turns out screwed up it’s because you aren’t a good parent. Not because a rapper decided to rhyme ‘pimp’ with ‘rent’. I also have listened to hip-hop my whole life … I have never went to jail, carried a gun,or been in a gang. You know why? Because my parents made sure of that. They were parents 24X7 until I became a man.

Too many parents are raising their kids on “cruise control” then they get upset when their kids crash into a ditch.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Guest sith lord

I agree that the topic should come up in regards to the Terminator or Rambo movies. You're right, it's not fair. And you, myself and most others, is smart enough not to emulate anything we see on TV. But the problem is the ones that aren't smart enough to seperate what they see on TV and reality. You know, the kids that aren't being parented right.

I agree that the topic should come up in regards to the Terminator or Rambo movies. You're right, it's not fair. And you, myself and most others, is smart enough not to emulate anything we see on TV. But the problem is the ones that aren't smart enough to seperate what they see on TV and reality. You know, the kids that aren't being parented right.

And the one's that are not smart enough, it is up to 36 mafia and other rappers to police themselves because kids were not brought up to know the difference between entertainment and reality??? I don't think so.

Those movies aren't representative of a cultural movement. The hip hop community however glorifies the very worst elements of society and presents them as cool. Obviously parents still have to do their job, but you don't have to go far too see it's effect in urban areas where familes are fractured. Like it or not what society frames as being "good" does have an effect.

Those movies aren't representative of a cultural movement. The hip hop community however glorifies the very worst elements of society and presents them as cool. Obviously parents still have to do their job, but you don't have to go far too see it's effect in urban areas where familes are fractured. Like it or not what society frames as being "good" does have an effect.

And see this is where the stereotypes come in again. So all hip hop glorifies the worst elements of society?

Wow Hip Hop has fractured familes in urban areas? It should be banned then!!! LMAO this is hilarious. There will be just as many “fractured familes”, murderers, gangs, and deliquients without hip hop. That’s like me saying, all serial killers listen to country music … so let’s just ban country music and their will be no serial killers. You see how silly that sounds?

And see this is where the stereotypes come in again. So all hip hop glorifies the worst elements of society?

Wow Hip Hop has fractured familes in urban areas? It should be banned then!!! LMAO this is hilarious. There will be just as many “fractured familes”, murderers, gangs, and deliquients without hip hop. That’s like me saying, all serial killers listen to country music … so let’s just ban country music and their will be no serial killers. You see how silly that sounds?

I wouldn't be terribly against banning country music AND hip hop... lol

No all hip hop does not glorify the worst. I don't believe in absolutes so I wouldn't claim such a thing. I also didn't blame hip hop for fracturing families or anything else.

What I said was that society is holding something bad up as good, and for kids in bad situations that sends the wrong message.

I'm not advocating anything - just making a general comment on what I find to be wrong with hip hop. Sorry if that offends you but music that glorifies the hatred of women and criminal behavior being at least partially marketed to kids isn't something I'm a big fan of.

No all hip hop does not glorify the worst. I don't believe in absolutes so I wouldn't claim such a thing. I also didn't blame hip hop for fracturing families or anything else.

What I said was that society is holding something bad up as good, and for kids in bad situations that sends the wrong message.

I'm not advocating anything - just making a general comment on what I find to be wrong with hip hop. Sorry if that offends you but music that glorifies the hatred of women and criminal behavior being at least partially marketed to kids isn't something I'm a big fan of.

I don’t believe Hip-Hop is marketed to kids so I can’t agree with you on that aspect. I wasn’t offended by your post but you are right you don’t have to be a fan of hip hop. That’s the best part about music if you don’t like it you can turn the station. I only like three types of music all the rest I never here … because I turn when it comes on.

Hip Hop didn’t make its music main stream … society did … it was society’s choice. So “if” Hip Hop glorifies bad elements of society then isn’t Hip Hop reflecting society and not the other way around.

Not all hip hop glorifies that...Talib Kweli, Mos Def, A Tribe Callled Quest and others don't glorify the worst elements in society...We all have a choice out here in what to listen to and how we react to it...Rap music doesn't afffect what goes on in urban areas...what has been going on in urban areas happened long before 50 Cent and 36 Mafia came along...I listen to 50 Cent, I listened to NWA when i wa sin high School...but I also knew that it was "entertainment" and I knew that all of those fancy cars and jewelry in the videos are more than liklely rented for a video shoot, rathe rthen them being the actual possessionof the artist...the excuse that Hip Hop music in some how is the reason that kids are gunning each other down is ridiculous...more white kids by hip hop music than blacks, but they aren't gunning each other down or selling drugs.

Archived