Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting take on the health of weed

jbooma

One of my close friends who is a biologist and completely to the left. We had a debate today about weed and talking about it being a safe drug and everything and then I was thrown for a loop.

According to her ANYTHING that is burned and then inhaled will damage the interior of our lungs, even though smoking weed does not create the same type of chemicals as a cig, whenever burnt particles come in contact with our lung, it creates particles that stick on the tissue, which in time can cause damage.

I have never heard of it that way before and that it was interesting.

One of my close friends who is a biologist and completely to the left. We had a debate today about weed and talking about it being a safe drug and everything and then I was thrown for a loop.

According to her ANYTHING that is burned and then inhaled will damage the interior of our lungs, even though smoking weed does not create the same type of chemicals as a cig, whenever burnt particles come in contact with our lung, it creates particles that stick on the tissue, which in time can cause damage.

No offense, but I thought that was obvious. However, there are other ways of introducing the THC into your body which are just as much fun.

Thats why I just mainline black tar heroin. :paranoid:

So heres the deal, healthy, probably not. More healthy than putting hundreds of gallons of alcohol in your body, probably. If a persons going to have a vice to get us drunk/high, why not weed. Of all the drugs, including alcohol, which one is the least healthy? I'd rather have a little lung damage with no hangover then destroying my entire body with alcohol and feel like **** the next day.

Yea Booma, just like you knew someone that OD's on one hit weed as you said in another thread. When you are on one side of an issue, and you are caught blatently lying to try to sway opinions, you are not going to be taken serious by me on the subject.

So heres the deal, healthy, probably not. More healthy than putting hundreds of gallons of alcohol in your body, probably. If a persons going to have a vice to get us drunk/high, why not weed. Of all the drugs, including alcohol, which one is the least healthy? I'd rather have a little lung damage with no hangover then destroying my entire body with alcohol and feel like **** the next day.

Yeah, but alcohol is delicious! :cheers:

Yeah, but alcohol is delicious! :cheers:

Dude, I agree 100%, the problem I have is weed being portrayed as this evil drug that's eating away at the underbelly of America. The gateway drug, that's just bull****. More people die either directly or indirectly by alcohol than any thing going, yet it's legal. It infuriates me!

Dude, I agree 100%, the problem I have is weed being portrayed as this evil drug that's eating away at the underbelly of America. The gateway drug, that's just bull****. More people die either directly or indirectly by alcohol than any thing going, yet it's legal. It infuriates me!

I didnt know the 2 were in competition.:whoknows:

Stupid people die from alcohol.....it makes the human race better.

I didnt know the 2 were in competition.:whoknows:

Stupid people die from alcohol.....it makes the human race better.

How did anything I say give you the impression that I thought they were in competition? All I'm saying is one is villified and the other is accepted when clearly alcohol IMO is a more destructive drug than weed. Don't see any 12 step Weed Rehabs, don't see high people fighting (unless it's for another hit on the bong), don't see people driving 100mph when they're high (unless 7 11 just put out a new batch of hot dogs). Anything isn excess is not good for you but if someone wants to sit at home and smoke a doob it should be that persons business. Not saying they should sell at the local "drug" store. However, it should be your right to blaze up in your own home.

The govt can't make any $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ off of it if we do it at home but they damn sure tax the hell out of alcohol.

People who don't drink die from it too.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Everyone says weed is the gateway drug. I disagree whole heartedly. ALCOHOL is the gateway drug. Think about it. Most people try alcohol before they try weed. They get drunk as hell and have a hangover the next day. They try weed, no hangover just feel a bit lazy. At least it is better than a hangover! Now if they have a compulsive personality then they have a tendancy to go higher in the drug trade or just become a burnout.

Alcohol is worse in every aspect it just makes the governmet too much money and too many politicians have their pockets lined by the alcohol industry.

Everyone says weed is the gateway drug. I disagree whole heartedly. ALCOHOL is the gateway drug. Think about it. Most people try alcohol before they try weed. They get drunk as hell and have a hangover the next day. They try weed, no hangover just feel a bit lazy. At least it is better than a hangover! Now if they have a compulsive personality then they have a tendancy to go higher in the drug trade or just become a burnout.

Alcohol is worse in every aspect it just makes the governmet too much money and too many politicians have their pockets lined by the alcohol industry.

Weed is a gateway drug, but only because of the illicit market created by the prohibition. 99% of the time, when someone tries a new drug, it's because their pot dealer started selling it. Start selling pot at 7-11, chances are that won't happen.

So I don't think we'll ever be able to sell weed in openly on the market. I did however hear a while back that a Senator proposed a tax card that could be sold to an individual allowing them to posess a pre determined amount of weed without reprecussions by the law. If you're caught with weed and don't have the tax card then you're consequently given a healty fine. Could you imagine money how much could be made if the Govt charged you $100 a year to posess this card? In return that money plus the billions spent finding, prosecuting and confining violaters of weed laws could be put to better use. Maybe that money could be used to build better levee's in N.O.

So I don't think we'll ever be able to sell weed in openly on the market. I did however hear a while back that a Senator proposed a tax card that could be sold to an individual allowing them to posess a pre determined amount of weed without reprecussions by the law. If you're caught with weed and don't have the tax card then you're consequently given a healty fine. Could you imagine money how much could be made if the Govt charged you $100 a year to posess this card? In return that money plus the billions spent finding, prosecuting and confining violaters of weed laws could be put to better use. Maybe that money could be used to build better levee's in N.O.

If you want a good explaination of the whole legalize and tax idea, do a search for the "how to fix healthcare" thread. I outlined it pretty well there.

If you want a good explaination of the whole legalize and tax idea, do a search for the "how to fix healthcare" thread. I outlined it pretty well there.

I read your posts in the other thread and Dave I'm on board with you brother. Tell you what my mother is one of the most religious people I've ever met. Loves the Lord and is very devout. She would never smoke pot because of the stigma surrounding it. It breaks my heart to see her struggle through daily life with an arthritic condition that makes the simplist tasks difficult. Every medication they give her causes more problems with side affects than the arthritis itself causes. I'd love for her to be able to take a couple hits off a J to ease her pain and allow her to lead some sort of normal life. Not saying she has to get baked out of her head but it sure could make her condition more bareable.

For medical purposes, pot can have some positve effects on some people. But the bottom line is, recreational use of pot, alcohol, cocaine, or anything else you care to shove down you throat, up your nose, in your vein, or up your ass for all that matter, is wasted money.

"High on life" sounds as hokey as you can get. But everyone can do it. Most are just too lazy to try.

BTW~So you don't think I'm talking out of my ass. I smoked pot for more years than a lot of you have been alive. Made all the same "drink is evil, pot is not" arguments like those from Chopper Dave. Not to single you out CD, but when I read some of your pot related posts I feel like I found some of my old papers and I'm re-reading them. So I have been there.

But I've made it to the other shore now, and realize I never needed any of it.

I certainly don't regret it, But I didn't need it, and neither do any of you. :2cents:

Archived