Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sony sets date for rollout of Blu-Ray DVDs

HOF44

The battle heats up.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2006-02-28-sony-blu-ray_x.htm

Sony sets date for rollout of Blu-Ray DVDs NEW YORK (Reuters) — Sony Pictures said Tuesday that it aims to deliver its new Blu-ray DVD format to U.S. stores May 23 to coincide with the introduction of compatible disc players, a new step in an industry war for control of home movie viewing.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and MGM Home Entertainment will first release eight Blu-ray titles, followed by another eight in mid-June. The first movie titles include "50 First Dates," "The Fifth Element," "Hitch" and "House of Flying Daggers."

Blu-ray is locked in a multibillion-dollar standards war against a rival DVD format known as HD DVD. The technology companies supporting HD DVD, championed by Toshiba, plan to start rolling out movie titles and disc players in March.

What do you guys thing of Digital Rights Management or DRM? Seems like Sonys really big on it. I don't understand it too well but it seems They are going way past defending their copyright rights. I hear Windows Vista will do the same.

Anyone know about this? I've heard crazy stuff like a self-destruct code for Blu-ray disc players if you are playing a copy.

What do you guys thing of Digital Rights Management or DRM? Seems like Sonys really big on it. I don't understand it too well but it seems They are going way past defending their copyright rights. I hear Windows Vista will do the same.

Anyone know about this? I've heard crazy stuff like a self-destruct code for Blu-ray disc players if you are playing a copy.

I think it's great for Sony to treat its customers as potential criminals. :silly:

Sony has a really bad track record with implementing storage media. They tend to be very close-minded in their approach. Beta, mini disc, atrac and memory stick are good examples of this. This is coming from a big Sony fan (just bought a Sony laptop and love it) so don't think I have an axe to grind.

The problem with a standards war is one side loses. My money is it will be Sony.

You'd loose as well. Their try to make everything propriatory and get screwed all the time. . . but tell you what, invest your $10 in their stock and come back here in three years complaining that a competing technology is beating them (hint, it's already past development stages). I'll have a nice big smirk on my face. . .as usual :D

The problem with a standards war is one side loses. My money is it will be Sony.

Sony will always lose. The memory stick was a joke, and now this. When you but a blu-ray disk next to one called HD DVD what do you think the public will buy :D

Well, to add to the Blu-ray, HD DVD war, I just read that while Microsoft is releasing it's new windows platform on HD DVD, Dell Inc, is supporting Blu-ray. This battle may be fun to watch. I'd wait before running out and buying either one yet. :munchout:

Well, to add to the Blu-ray, HD DVD war, I just read that while Microsoft is releasing it's new windows platform on HD DVD, Dell Inc, is supporting Blu-ray. This battle may be fun to watch. I'd wait before running out and buying either one yet. :munchout:

I agree. I am usually a middle of life cycle adopter anyway.

Dell has enough problems without this news. They better get it together.

Archived