Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins' #1 Off Season Priority (It's not what you might think).

s0crates

I know. I know. We need a receiver. We look like a friggin' one-receiver team out there. Are there even any other receivers on our roster? I know. I know. We need help on the defensive line. For gosh-sakes, can we get a pass rushing defensive end already? Blah, blah, blah. :blahblah:

I am tired of hearing this crap. I'll tell you what we really need: We need depth on our offensive line. Don't get me wrong, I think the starters are playing GREAT, but there is no depth there at all.

And you guys are worried about receiver and defensive end, sheesh.:rolleyes:

Contrary to popular belief, we are fine at wideout. Santana Moss just broke the team record for cryin' out loud! And that's the record for a team that has seen the likes of Bobby Mitchell, Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Michael Westbrook. Along side him, we have a veteran receiver who wears a couple Super Bowl rings on his hand. For depth, we have the always reliable James Thrash. Moss made two great catches on that Miraculous Monday last year, but they'd have never happened had Thrash not first made another great catch on 4th down a few plays earlier. Those guys, coupled with Captain Chaos, are enough.

Contrary to popular belief, we have a darn good defensive line too. Maybe you didn't notice, but it is pretty tough to run against the Redskins front seven. Phillip Daniels sure looked good at the end of last season, didn't he? I recall a couple big performances from him against division rivals late last year. Furthermore, nobody can deny that Cornelious Griffin has been playing at an All-Pro level the last couple years (except ignorant Pro-Bowl voters). Renaldo Wynn, well, how could you want to get rid of him? Renaldo Wynn is one cool dude.:cool:

As far as I can tell, our defensive line and receiving core are straight. But I remember an entire season lost due to an injury to Jon Jansen. And I remember our offense struggling mightely late last season, in the absence of Randy Thomas. And it gets worse because, in case nobody noticed, their primary back-up retired. So who is our back-up gaurd now? Our back-up tackle? Doesn't that worry you?

Well, I don't know guys. Tell me what you think, but it sure looks to me like we need to worry about getting some help on the offensive line. The starting unit is good. But after that, the talent level leaves a lot to be desired. Judging by what has held us back the past couple seasons (that is, in case you missed it, injuries to offensive lineman), we should really address that first.

I know. I know. We need a receiver. We look like a friggin' one-receiver team out there. Are there even any other receivers on the roster? I know. I know. We need help on the defensive line. For goshsakes, can we get a pass rushing defensive end already? Blah, blah, blah. :blahblah:

I am tired of hearing this crap. I'll tell you what we really need: We need depth on our offensive line. Don't get me wrong, I think the starters are playing GREAT, but there is no depth at all.

Contrary to popular belief, we have a decent group of wideouts. Santana Moss just broke the team record for cryin' out loud! And thats the record for a team that has seen the likes of Bobby Mitchell, Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Michael Westbrook. Along side him we have a veteran reciever with a couple Super Bowl rings on his hand. For depth, we have the always reliable James Thrash. I was sure glad to have James Thrash on 4th down on a Monday night in Dallas last season.

Contrary to popular belief, we have a darn good defensive line. Maybe you didn't notice, but it is tough to run against the Redskins front seven. Phillip Daniels sure looked good at the end of last season. I seem to remember a couple big performances from him against division rivals. Cornelious Griffin has played at an All-Pro level the last couple years. Renaldo Wynn, well, how could you want to get rid of him? Renaldo Wynn is one cool dude.

As far as I can tell, our defensive line and receiving core are straight. But I remember an entire season lost due to an injury to Jon Jansen. And I remember our offense struggling mightely late last season, in the abscense of Rany Thomas. And it gets worse because, in case nobody noticed, their primary back-up retired. So who is our back-up gaurd now? Our back-up tackle? Doesn't that worry you?

Well, I don't know guys. Tell me what you think, but it sure looks to me like we need to worry about getting some help on the offensive line. The starting unit is good. But after that, the talent level leaves a lot to be desired.

Well said. It doesn't matter what team you look at in what season, the O-line should always your top priority to improve upon. Hell, if we'd had an O-line a year or two ago we might have a media darling QB in Patrick Ramsey, hence another first round draft pick this year. You can take almost any pro QB and put them behind a line who will protect him, and they will all play well enough to be NFL starters.

you think tom Brady is a good QB? Tom Brady is at best above average. The Announcers, "Look how calm he is in the pocket, its amazing!" Well, it's easy to be calm and collected when you can just stand in the pocket like bernie kosar and never get hit, ever. They've all got arms and smarts, that's how they got the the NFL, the one's that become superstars are the one's whose team allows them to use their skills unimpeded.

think of it like this: Behind the right O-line, Ladell Betts can be a stud at HB. And a strong running game gives a reciever with the tools of a James Thrash the chance to get a step deep on the safety on a PA Pass.

With the right O-line, hence a functional offense, we eat up clock, and let our speedy defense refuel their jets on the sideline.

Your offfensive line is the foundation of your team, always has been, always will be.

I agree that Offensive Line depth is extrememly important and a very high priority but I do not agree that it is the top priority. In other words, I do not anticipate us drafting a OL with our 2nd round pick.

The reason I say this is because there are positions (WR, DE) that require starting calibur players and we already have a starting unit on our OL. We can draft for depth, which I agree that we desperately need using later picks as well as sign one UFA lineman for depth.

OL is a bigger problem than I think most people realize, but i still think it has to be at least behind WR as far as priority. If we can just get a few solid bodies for the line we will be OK, but we need a starter quality WR to take this offense to the next level.

Think of it this way. If you are saying we can ONLY sign a WR or ONLY sign some OL depth, we would have to go with the OL obviously, because we literally have no one there right now. However, I think its going to be a bit harder to find that #2 WR than it will be to find some capable backups on the line. So I would say that is priority #1. I guess it depends how you think about it.

Contrary to popular belief, we are fine at wideout. Santana Moss just broke the team record for cryin' out loud! And that's the record for a team that has seen the likes of Bobby Mitchell, Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Michael Westbrook. Along side him, we have a veteran receiver who wears a couple Super Bowl rings on his hand. For depth, we have the always reliable James Thrash. Moss made two great catches on that Miraculous Monday last year, but they'd have never happened had Thrash not first made another great catch on 4th down a few plays earlier. Those guys, coupled with Captain Chaos, are enough.

:doh: Did you watch the playoffs?

When we played seattle and tampa?

Well thank god we have an amazing defense/Clinton Portis...because without it, we wouldnt have gone anywhere against Tampa, and it could have been a blowout against Seattle.

Look man, we need a second reciever. If Patten works out to be great this year then great...we will then need a third reciever. James Thrash IS NOT A RELIABLE RECIEVER. A reliable reciever is someone who we can go to on third down so that they can make a play. One play in a season?? Come on now....

Yep, we've got a real gem in Santana, but on third down (and probably first and second) he's going to be double teamed. Or triple teamed....because apart from Chris Cooley, theres no one in our Offense who is capable of worrying a defense. We dont have a WR who can do that. Someone with either speed or height that can either stretch a defense or cause matchup problems, that will free up room for Santana...

Art Monk played alongside Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders...which is probably why he didnt get into the hall of fame...because there were two other great guys that the offense could goto....Santana needs someone to give him breathing room.

Definitely gotta go with Socrates on this one, it makes complete sense. Our offense was pitifulwhen we lost Jansen last year and Thomas this year. We also lost Ray Brown, so we need a strong backup. If there is a nice o-lineman when we pick in the draft, then you gotta take him.

:doh: Did you watch the playoffs?

When we played seattle and tampa?

Yes of course I did. I noticed that the offensive line was pathetic without Randy Thomas in there, and the rest of the offense struggled as a result. Don't you remeber Molinaro and Raymer's fool butts out there? They were AWFUL. No matter what QB and WRs you have, you will struggle with pass protection like that.

Well, geuss what? Molinaro, Raymer, and some dude named Ikechuku Ndukwe are the only reserve offensive linemen on the roster. Do you really want to have to turn to one of them? Because if we don't sign some linemen we will. It is pretty rare for an offensive line to go all season without injury. We NEED some decent linemen in reserve very badly.

Don't get me wrong, we could certainly use a better receiver. Regardless, there is no way to convince me that WR is a bigger need than offensive line.

You really have to look at what talent is available when the Redskins are on the clock during the draft. You would like to draft to fill the most pressing need, but if there's a huge dropoff in talent, you have to try and fill the next most pressing need if "NFL-level" talent is there.

I do agree that the offensive line is critical if you want to have a dominant offense. When the offense was bad, it was mainly because the offensive line was being dominated. But, on the other hand, there were many plays where the only wide receiver that was open was Moss. The other wide receivers seemed incapable of getting open.

I, too, believe that the biggest need is a #2 WR. Because of where we are positioned in the draft, I just don't know if the draft holds the answer to "that" need or the DE need. Because of the good depth at these positions, we could get a quality OL, TE, or CB with our second-round pick. If we could get Chad Jackson with that second round pick, I would probably lose my mind. I think he's going to be very good.

HAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sure we need more depth on o-line

but our defensive line can't pass rush 1 on 1

only when we send 7 on a blitz or so

james thrash is reliable?

thats news to me

we need a number two wr

we dont have one

santana might have broken a record, but he could get 2000 yards but if no one else gets anything then we're screwed

santana gets doubled too often also

cooley has already gotten attention for being a threat as well

o-line is our third need

but our defensive line can't pass rush 1 on 1

only when we send 7 on a blitz or so

I disagree. I thought the line generated plenty of pressure against Arizona, St. Louis, Dallas (certainly against Dallas), New York (poor Eli), Philly, and Tampa to finish the season.
james thrash is reliable?

thats news to me

He made several big plays. The fourth down against Dallas I already pointed out. Don't forget the 3rd and long against Philly. He has converted a bunch of third downs in his 2 last years here. Also, remeber he is a good downfield blocker and special teams warrior.
we need a number two wr

we dont have one

What is David Patten? Chopped liver?

Don't get me wrong. I know we could use help at DE and WR. It is true. But those things are luxuries at this point when compared to our miserable offensive line situation. Just look at the roster, who is behind our starters? Nobody. Do you really think we can go all season without an offensive line injury? If not, do you really think that those reserves will do a good job? If not, we need help on the offensive line.

I agree that Offensive Line depth is extrememly important and a very high priority but I do not agree that it is the top priority. In other words, I do not anticipate us drafting a OL with our 2nd round pick.

The reason I say this is because there are positions (WR, DE) that require starting calibur players and we already have a starting unit on our OL. We can draft for depth, which I agree that we desperately need using later picks as well as sign one UFA lineman for depth.

Exactly what I was thinking. There is a difference between being a big priority and a TOP priority. We won't be drafting anyone for depth with our 2nd rounder.

I think your instincts are on the money sOc, and your call is a good one, but fpickering makes the key point here that OL talent needed can probably be found easier down the supply line than quality (#2) wr's or starting DE's.

Good post bro.

I think your instincts are on the money sOc, and your call is a good one, but fpickering makes the key point here that OL talent needed can probably be found easier down the supply line than quality (#2) wr's or starting DE's.
While this may be true, I do not see how we can be sure. How can we know that quality offensive linemen will "be found easier down the supply line" if we haven't even checked?

Nobody is even discussing available offensive linemen around here. I have no clue what linemen might be availbale when our pick (finally) comes up. Do you? I have no clue what good reserve linemen will be on the free agent market. Do you? Are there any decent linemen backing up Orlando Pace or Larry Allen that we could trade for Ramsey? Beats me. But everybody knows what defensive ends and wideouts are (might be, could be, should be, how-can-we-get-him?) available.The thing is that we have hardly considered our OL needs at all, and we REALLY do have some needs in that area.

Good post bro.
Thank you.
just remember ramer in seattle
'nough said.

In the playoffs:

One of our best olineman was down.

Our QB had a bum knee.

Our primary RB was beat up.

Our number 2 wide was down.

Our number 3 wide was down.

Both Seattle and Tampa are good defenses.

Seattle's points were not off of gimmes.

We've just lost our primary o-line backup. We need bring in at least 1 quality backup to replace that loss plus a couple of guys to at least push Molinaro and let us cut Raymer. Don't be suprised if our base formation next season only has 1 WR.

s0crates

While this may be true, I do not see how we can be sure. How can we know that quality offensive linemen will "be found easier down the supply line" if we haven't even checked?

I'm sure of nothing this year dude when it comes to who (or where) we’ll draft vs FA, or what our situation will be.

Which is why I'm not spending too much time on "how about so-and-so" threads on specific players and tend to more discuss positional needs and overall strategies.

Nobody is even discussing available offensive linemen around here. I have no clue what linemen might be availbale when our pick (finally) comes up. Do you? I have no clue what good reserve linemen will be on the free agent market. Do you? Are there any decent linemen backing up Orlando Pace or Larry Allen that we could trade for Ramsey? Beats me. But everybody knows what defensive ends and wideouts are (might be, could be, should be, how-can-we-get-him?) available.The thing is that we have hardly considered our OL needs at all, and we REALLY do have some needs in that area.

Traditionally though, as we know, 0-line depth would come in later rounds compared to starters at skill positions. I've mentioned OL depth as a need in a few posts for awhile now, but you're right; there hasn't been the volume of board discussion on the OL as on DE's & WR's.

My referencing players right now would only come from a forum search (which I just did) of previous discussions (minimal) or of player/draft sites. I have no personal OL “faves” other than the guy I talked about in other threads (Ferguson) who should go in the top 10.

The only other draft guys I have in my awareness, like Justice or McNeil, I likewise assume will go to high, but again, the reason I don’t get into specific is for all I know we may make some sort of deal to pick higher, just not for a top OL guy.

As far as FA's, I have no hot tips. Though we are not talking about them here, I have no doubt our scouts are, of course. I'd join you in welcoming more viable and realsitic prospects being discussed.

As far as FA's, I have no hot tips. Though we are not talking about them here, I have no doubt our scouts are, of course. I'd join you in welcoming more viable and realsitic prospects being discussed.

Somebody suggested this guy, who was released by Buffalo and played with Dockery in Texas, in another thread.

# 68 Mike Williams

Position: T

Height: 6-6

Weight: 360

Born: 01/11/1980

College: Texas

NFL Experience: 4

In his four NFL seasons, Williams has started 51 games. He looks like a good prospect to me. This is just the sort of player we need. I wonder if we can afford him.

Nobody is even discussing available offensive linemen around here. I have no clue what linemen might be availbale when our pick (finally) comes up.

I think that Gibbs and company have their work cut out for them in finding later round offensive line talent.

In last year's draft, 14 Guards were drafted. 1 was in the 1st, 3 in the 3rd, 4 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th, 4 in the 6th and 1 in the 7th.

The best value pick here was Chris Kemoeatu in the 6th.

11 Centers were drafted. 1 in the 1st, 1 in the 2nd, 3 in the 4th, 4 in the 5th and 1 in the 7th.

24 Tackles were selected. 2 in the 1st, 4 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 3 in the 4th, 5 in the 5th, 5 in the 6th and 3 in the 7th.

Somebody suggested this guy, who was released by Buffalo and played with Dockery in Texas, in another thread.

# 68 Mike Williams

Position: T

Height: 6-6

Weight: 360

Born: 01/11/1980

College: Texas

NFL Experience: 4

In his four NFL seasons, Williams has started 51 games. He looks like a good prospect to me. This is just the sort of player we need. I wonder if we can afford him.

I had just read about him before responding to you :laugh: He played behind Bennie Anderson at LG who started all 16 games and I can't find anything about Williams stepping in last year.

But Buffalo finished 20th in rush and 29th in pass, so even the starting linemen is not on a strong offensive unit overall. This is whispy ground upon which to make a comment, but it wouldn't scream "hot prospect" if he couldn't crack a mediocre line all year. Doesn't mean he's pointless but I'd need to hear one of our scouts talk him up for me to be exited. For whatever the hell that's worth :laugh:

I am tired of hearing this crap. I'll tell you what we really need: We need depth on our offensive line. Don't get me wrong, I think the starters are playing GREAT, but there is no there depth at all.

You are far from the first person to say this. Ive seen it atleast half as many times as ive seen the "we need a pass rushing D line and a WR."

Yes of course I did. I noticed that the offensive line was pathetic without Randy Thomas in there, and the rest of the offense struggled as a result. Don't you remeber Molinaro and Raymer's fool butts out there? They were AWFUL. No matter what QB and WRs you have, you will struggle with pass protection like that.

Does anybody remember the game after Randy Thomas got hurt? We killed the Vagiants without him. I think the struggle we had the following weeks were a result of Brunnels injury in that game more so than anything. Now i'm not saying we dont need some depth on the o line, especially since Ray Brown retired, but i still think we are in more need of a pass rushing DE than anything else.

Archived