Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins' #1 Off Season Priority (It's not what you might think).

s0crates

OL is not even the highest priority for depth. What if Santana Moss goes down?
I agree that we need more depth at WR. There is no doubt about that. All I'm saying is that we need depth on the OL more. What if Samuels gets hurt?

I think the offense could survive an injury to Moss better than an injury to Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, or Dock. If Moss goes down Patten steps up, Cooley becomes the go to guy (like T. Gonzales in KC), and CP remains the workhorse (like P. Holmes in KC). Remember Saunders didn't really have a receiver any more talented than Patten in KC.

On the other hand, if Jansen goes down, our season is over. We have no replacement. The chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Our weakest link would be Molinaro.

Granted, losing Moss or Jansen would be worst case scenario. If either one of these things happened, it would be catastrophic. Hypothetically speaking though, as our roster stands today, I think we would be better off losing Moss than we would be losing Jansen. I mean I would rather turn to a Super Bowl vet like Patten than a looked-like-a-doofus-in-the-playoffs offensive linemen like Raymer.

Don't you remeber Molinaro and Raymer's fool butts out there? They were AWFUL.

Did Molinaro actually play in that playoff game? I never saw him. Just Raymer when Ray Brown was out.

While I agree with you that WR isn't quite as important as some people are making it out to be, I don't agree that backup OLmen is MORE important. I do think we probably need to sign a veteran guy to back up our starters at G, because we are a little thin. No doubt, we may draft an OL or two, but they probably aren't going to be able to step in if someone goes down.

Fact is, no matter who you have backing you up, you are going to be weakened on the line if a starter goes down. Play of the O-line is a group thing, and it always takes time to integrate new members. The important thing is to find guys you'd be comfortable to eventually put into a game.

Jason

Did Molinaro actually play in that playoff game? I never saw him. Just Raymer when Ray Brown was out.

http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=1263

2005: Molinaro played in four games as a reserve offensive lineman. He also saw action in the Redskins' Wild Card playoff game against Tampa Bay.
Molinaro did play in the playoffs. Perhaps the confusion came from the fact that Molinaro played poorly in the Tampa Bay game and Raymer played poorly in the Seattle game. But, what I mean to say is, they both played (very) poorly in the playoffs.

the Redskins will trade up and draft Vernon Davis. He fits all the Redskins needs in 1. A physical freak that can line up at wide out and TE. Can score in the red zone. And block. This will allow Cooley to be in the flats more instead of verticle routes.

There's a lot of folks who would be very happy at the potential there if that turns out to be so. I'd be fine with that, but of course there's the possible downside of how much we may have to give away again to draft that high.

It's also hard for me to speculate very realistically on how we might address all our needs/wants until we find out what kind of cap/CBA situation we'll be faced with in the end.

http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=1263

Molinaro did play in the playoffs. Perhaps the confusion came from the fact that Molinaro played poorly in the Tampa Bay game and Raymer played poorly in the Seattle game. But, what I mean to say is, they both played (very) poorly in the playoffs.

Well, it must not have been THAT bad, since I didn't even notice him, but I certainly noticed Raymer. Also, TB totally outmuscled our line all day, so I could give him a pass. As I said, I didn't even notice he was in...

Jason

the defense is not broken so why fix it, Lavar needs to stay where he is. The offense is the area where we keep breaking down, one receiver although exceptionaly good is one receiver not enuff, two or three wide recievers with a good tight end and clinton is only half of the equation, if the QB is continually under pressure it doesnt matter who gets the ball if the ball cant get to them under ideal positions, the O line protects the other side of the equation the QB, if Ramsay had been protected properly three years ago, Brunell would never had started a game, the other part of the equation of course is: if the defence has to look after three good receivers and TE then they can no longer afford to blitz from the corners, and the safety blitz also becomes a problem. So the problem with the skins at the moment is that we need two recievers of good quality to get the ball too, and we need depth on the line to protect the QB. The skins Oline starters are all very good, but we do need some back up, so how do u fix the conundrum, we leave the defence alone, and we get what we need to score, for scoring is how we win the games.

I know. I know. We need a receiver. We look like a friggin' one-receiver team out there. Are there even any other receivers on our roster? I know. I know. We need help on the defensive line. For gosh-sakes, can we get a pass rushing defensive end already? Blah, blah, blah. :blahblah:

I am tired of hearing this crap. I'll tell you what we really need: We need depth on our offensive line. Don't get me wrong, I think the starters are playing GREAT, but there is no there depth at all.

And you guys are worried about receiver and defensive end, heesh.:rolleyes:

As far as I can tell, our defensive line and receiving core are straight. But I remember an entire season lost due to an injury to Jon Jansen. And I remember our offense struggling mightely late last season, in the abscense of Randy Thomas. And it gets worse because, in case nobody noticed, their primary back-up retired. So who is our back-up gaurd now? Our back-up tackle? Doesn't that worry you?

:applause: :notworthy :point2sky :wavetowel

But yea and no **** Ray Brown is no longer here and won't be back for years...okay eons!

I agree that the offensive line needs a good long look. With Randy Thomas nursing a bad injury, Cory Raymer playing guard and not doing well, and Ray Brown hanging it all up, we need to take a good look at the positions along the offensive line. Molinaro is pretty good, but he hasn't gotten his chance to play either tackle spot because Jansen and Samuels has the RT and LT spots on lockdown. Molinaro can probably play guard if called on.

As far as wideout, Reggie Wayne is not available to us and Patten and Thrash are good but not good enough to take the focus away from Santana. We need a wideout like a Steve Smith, or a Antwan Rnadle-El, or someone like that.

sOc, bud, you've got a good mindset but you're wrong. You're not wrong in the fact that we need offensive line depth because we do. But the thing there is we need DEPTH not STARTERS.

Now when it comes to our WR situation we need STARTERS not DEPTH. We have depth at the position and several number 3 guys but we lack that big guy to help take the triple-team off Santana. Santand went crazy until teams figuired out they need to at least double team him.

Our pass rush is terrible. Unless the opposing teams offensive line is made up of pee-wee leaguers we cant get to the QB. It wasn't til mid-season that I even noticed a friggin sack! When Williams blitzes our linebackers and secondary so much it leaves that part of the field open and takes away a lot of options.

Now yes we do need O-Line depth but please realize that DEPTH is a luxury.... not a 2 WR or a pass rush.

I am tired of hearing this crap. I'll tell you what we really need: We need depth on our offensive line. Don't get me wrong, I think the starters are playing GREAT, but there is no there depth at all.

And you guys are worried about receiver and defensive end, sheesh.:rolleyes:

I agree we need depth on the o-line, however, this position is much easier to find diamonds in the rough in the later rounds. Mainly because they don't need to be athletic types, just big, strong and willing to learn and develop.

I think it's much harder to find a good D-End in the later rounds. This draft runs deep in that position, so it makes sense to draft for need in an area where the harvest is ripe. So I think drafting a good DE first is the right way to go.

sOc, bud, you've got a good mindset but you're wrong. You're not wrong in the fact that we need offensive line depth because we do. But the thing there is we need DEPTH not STARTERS.

Now when it comes to our WR situation we need STARTERS not DEPTH. We have depth at the position and several number 3 guys but we lack that big guy to help take the triple-team off Santana. Santand went crazy until teams figuired out they need to at least double team him.

Our pass rush is terrible. Unless the opposing teams offensive line is made up of pee-wee leaguers we cant get to the QB. It wasn't til mid-season that I even noticed a friggin sack! When Williams blitzes our linebackers and secondary so much it leaves that part of the field open and takes away a lot of options.

Now yes we do need O-Line depth but please realize that DEPTH is a luxury.... not a 2 WR or a pass rush.

I would contend that it is depth that we need at receiver too, not starters. You act as though Al Saunders is going to be using a lot of 3-4 recevier sets when the fact is he probably won't. Saunders uses mostly one and two receiver sets, utilizing both a TE and FB in many formations. So, our starting receivers are the amazing Santana Moss and the (Super Bowl winning) veteran David Patten. What is wrong with those guys as our starters? Sure we could stand to add a guy, but I'll settle for the new franchise record holder and a 3-time Super Bowl victor.

I maintain that our offense could handle an injury to a receiver much better than an injury to the offensive line. If we lose a receiver, we still have options. If we lose an offensive linemen, our season is over. I'll put it like this: I would rather turn to James Thrash in a time of need than Corey Raymer.

As far as our defensive line's inability, you are just wrong. I understand why you think this - this is a myth that has been perpetuated in the DC area all season. However, the fact is that our defensive line is easily among the best run stopping units in the league. Furthermore, the defense as a whole recorded 35 sacks this year (whereas, our opponenets only recorded 31). You do not remeber Bledose, Simms, Eli, Fitzpatrick, and every other QB we faced later in the season eating turf?

If we lose a receiver, we still have options.

Imperical evidence from last season disagrees with you. ;)

I understand what you are saying, but I have a feeling that the coaching staff is going to be more comfortable with the OL depth than you are going to be, because more than likely, the guys backing up are probably not going to be "proven", unless we find another veteran guy who will work for cheap.

I'm actually interested in seeing more of Ikechuke Ndukwe. He definitly seems to have the build for it, it is just a matter of learning the pro game.

BTW, this article is strangely appropriate.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15622

Jason

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Michael Westbroken and Art Monk along with Gary Clark in the same sentence?

:doh:

:laugh:

The original poster had me... until he said Michael Westbrooke!
;)

A couple of people caught me on the Westbrook bit. Of course, it was meant to be a joke. I hope people chuckled as they read that. I'd hate to think anybody took me seriously there. If so, my credibility would be shot.

I meant to say that we have a receiver who gained more yards in a season than Mitchell, Monk, or Clark. I threw Westbrook in there partly to be funny, and partly to suggest that our WR situation could be a lot worse (as it has until recently).

People forget that our receivers behind Moss were injured for most of the year. Patten was out for almost the entire back half of the season, Thrash only started in two games, and Taylor Jacobs sucks. I said it before the draft last year when everyone was whining about how we didn't have a "true no. 1 option" and I'll say it again: WR is not our top priority.

Imperical evidence from last season disagrees with you.
I'm not so sure. I think I could make a strong case that offensive productivity after the Thomas injury dropped more than it did after then Patten injury. Especially if you consider the fact that Brunell's injury was (at least partially) a result of Thomas not being there to protect his ***.

BTW, this article is strangely appropriate.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15622

Thanks bro!

From the article:

"Is there enough depth along the interior offensive line? Coaches could seek to upgrade the depth with a veteran lineman, similar to Brown, who has the versatility to play guard and tackle. "

Its like they read my mind.

People forget that our receivers behind Moss were injured for most of the year. Patten was out for almost the entire back half of the season, Thrash only started in two games, and Taylor Jacobs sucks. I said it before the draft last year when everyone was whining about how we didn't have a "true no. 1 option" and I'll say it again: WR is not our top priority.
This is a key point. Patten is a worthy #2 and he should be 100% this season. He is a veteran and it shows. Did you notice the pass interference calls on him last year? A vet like him knows how to draw those flags. Also, he requested a bigger role in the offense before he was injured. Oh, and by the way, he has won a few championships. I expect him to be very productive this year. Thrash is a solid #3 who should be back 100% too.

So who are the backup O-Linemen going to be? They are backups for a reason, and anytime a team loss's a starter it is going to hurt. To say O-Line depth is are biggest need is a joke when you consider we had no other WR with 20 catches and no consistent pass rush. Mix in the CB problems we had, depth wise, and one can see why O-Line depth is not high on priority list.

Know one is debating the importance of the O-Line, but you are not going to find Orlando Pace to be a backup tackle. You wanting to throw money around on backup O-Linemen is a noble thought but reality is if we lose two or more starting linemen we are screwed. You are not going to find 5 starters to fill are bench just in the event of an emergency.

The team would be best served addressing needs that would provide immediate benefits on the field, not on the field when the season is over.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

To say O-Line depth is are biggest need is a joke when you consider we had no other WR with 20 catches and no consistent pass rush. Mix in the CB problems we had, depth wise, and one can see why O-Line depth is not high on priority list.
I'll take your objections one at a time. First of all, David Patten actually had 22 catches. Not many, but he was on IR for the last 8 games. Furthermore, before he was injured, he was complaining about not getting the ball enough. He is a fast veteran receiver who many people thought could be our #1 guy last year.

I think we have a consistent pass rush. You don't have to take my word for it though. Ask Drew Bledsoe, Eli Manning, and Chris Simms about it.

CB problems? You cannot really think that having a shutdown corner in Shawn Springs (nobody even tested Springs last year) and a rapidly blossoming 1st rounder in Carlos Rogers (an INT machine) is a problem. I know Harris sucked as a starter, but he'll be back at nickle where he is solid.

Don't get it twisted. I certainly agree that WR, DE, and CB are all positions that could improve. I am simply saying that it is the thinness of our offensive line that has hurt us in the past. And it will continue to hurt us until we do something about it.

Know one is debating the importance of the O-Line, but you are not going to find Orlando Pace to be a backup tackle. You wanting to throw money around on backup O-Linemen is a noble thought but reality is if we lose two or more starting linemen we are screwed. You are not going to find 5 starters to fill are bench just in the event of an emergency.
I advocated neither acquiring Orlando Pace nor having 5 starters to fill the bench. Rather, I think we should draft an offensive linemen on the first day, or pick up a solid veteran backup, or both.

Archived