Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hot Shoppes/Little Tavern/Gino's/Red Barn

Thanos

Anyone remember those spots?

I remember eatiing at the Hot Shoppes in Wheaton, MD at the Wheaton Mall years ago. And although I don't remember it, I know there was Gino's in Olney, MD where the Big Boy's used to be, that became a Boston Market, and is now a Mexican restaurant I think. Never heard of the other two places...

Cripes I'm having huge flashbacks from when I lived out there. I can't remember the last time I even said "Lums". And Farrells, well, how could you forget "The Zoo"? Sirens and guys running around with a huge silver mixing bowl with enough ice cream to feed way too many people. Of course, watching them lose it was a rare..er...treat. There was one in Springfield Mall. Upstairs. Near the end. Take a right off the up escalators and it was at right near the doors. I had my 16th birthday there with about 9 of my friends and yep. We had "The Zoo". Then of course, it was time for the arcade. Time Out. Right by the Orange Julius. Sigh. I miss that place now. I also remember there being a Red Barn on....route 50? Right across the road, kinda? from a strip mall that had Chesepeake Seafood House in it. Right there in Fairfax not too far away from the 50/236 intersection. And Gichin, I ate at the Arthur Treachers many times. Back when there was a Memco not too far away. Now I'm dating myself. :doh:

:)

Cripes I'm having huge flashbacks from when I lived out there. I can't remember the last time I even said "Lums". And Farrells, well, how could you forget "The Zoo"? Sirens and guys running around with a huge silver mixing bowl with enough ice cream to feed way too many people. Of course, watching them lose it was a rare..er...treat. There was one in Springfield Mall. Upstairs. Near the end. Take a right off the up escalators and it was at right near the doors. I had my 16th birthday there with about 9 of my friends and yep. We had "The Zoo". Then of course, it was time for the arcade. Time Out. Right by the Orange Julius. Sigh. I miss that place now. I also remember there being a Red Barn on....route 50? Right across the road, kinda? from a strip mall that had Chesepeake Seafood House in it. Right there in Fairfax not too far away from the 50/236 intersection. And Gichin, I ate at the Aurther Treachers many times. Back when there was a Memco not too far away. Now I'm dating myself. :doh:

Christ, the Time Out and the Orange Julius are still right there next to the JC Penny. That is a long time to stay in business.

I used to LOVE Hot Shoppes when I was a kid. My favorite meal was their roast beef, which they sliced for you right off the roast, mashed potatoes, their great baked macaroni and cheese, and some buttered vegies and dinner rolls. Man, that used to be great, especially if we ate that before or after seeing a movie.

That was my favorite too. We used to go there Sunday's after church just before the football game, I remember how quickly we'd eat!

Christ, the Time Out and the Orange Julius are still right there next to the JC Penny. That is a long time to stay in business.

Tell me about it. They were there when I first moved there in 75. Wow. I used to live to go to that place. Orange drink, hot dog, and then Time Out for some, ( what was then), new video games. Sigh. I spent some quarters playing at Time Out then Time Out 2 later on, ( for you, er.... more mature posters who may remember, it was known as the Raceway Spaceway at first). Downstairs near the middle. Not to far from the KB Hobby that used to be there. Gads. I'm dating myself. :doh:

Tell me about it. They were there when I first moved there in 75. Wow. I used to live to go to that place. Orange drink, hot dog, and then Time Out for some, ( what was then), new video games. Sigh. I spent some quarters playing at Time Out then Time Out 2 later on, ( for you, er.... more mature posters who may remember, it was known as the Raceway Spaceway at first). Downstairs near the middle. Not to far from the KB Hobby that used to be there. Gads. I'm dating myself. :doh:

I grew up in Montgomery County, but I lived in Alexandria for seven years until I moved out here last summer. I kind of miss the area as well. Nothing like DC.

Sigh. I miss that place now. I also remember there being a Red Barn on....route 50? Right across the road, kinda? from a strip mall that had Chesepeake Seafood House in it.

Wierd, there was a place like that up in Burtonsville MD I think, where they have a big red barn store thing and used to have a Cheasapeake Seafood in the mall across the street (maybe the same place as the Amish Market...but I could be wrong here). The Seafood place is gone, but the barn is still there, I think.

Back to Hot Shoppes, there were actually two different ones if my failing memory serves me. There was Hot Shoppes, the more traditional restaurant up by Capitol Plaza, and Jr. Hot Shoppes, the typical fast food joint down by Chesapeake Bay Seafood House in New Carrollton, which used to be a Dart Drug.

Did he own it back in the early 70's?

He bought it some time around the early/mid 1970's. I was born in '73 and I think he bought it around '74-'75. Used to get tons of walk-in business from AAA until they closed that office back behind the shopping center.

ntotoro,

Wondering if he ever cut my hair. I would have gone to that shop in the early 70s. 74-75 might be a little late but maybe...

I'd describe my Dad now, but that might not do any good from over 30 years ago... :laugh:

IIRC, my Dad never changed the name from the prior owner, so it was always Mark I until my Dad sold it. Joe Totoro... about 5'5", he would have had thinning, black hair back then ,medium build. There were a couple other guys who worked there with him, one of them (I think) who also worked for my Dad as well as the prior owner. I think that was Nelson, but it might have been Bud who was already there. One of those two guys worked for the old owner, anyway.

Ziegler, the property manager, died a few years ago. I was there about two weeks ago and noticed the Book & Card Shop was gone... :(

Since it was never more than my Dad and one or two other chairs, he sublet half the shop to two friends of his who were Nationwide agents (Gil Nieves & Richard Creason) who built an office there. They've been gone for a while, though, and Gil died about two year ago.

Guest Gichin13
Ok here's one. How about the Woolworths cafeteria in Seven Corners shopping center?? Used to love that place. ANybody remember that?

I was just going to mention that. My grandmother used to work at Woodies and we would meet up for lunch there. I loved their hot dogs cooked on the griddle and split down the middle.

Archived