Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hot Shoppes/Little Tavern/Gino's/Red Barn

Thanos

I loved Farrell's used to get the Sasperila. Anyone remember the Spaghetti Mill in Annadale VA? Loved that place when I was a kid. Great sourdoough bread.

I forgot all about Farrell's. They had one in Tysons right next to the four-screen movie theater when I was a kid. Ah, for the days when Tysons had two different movie theaters in the mall... :laugh:

The same Shakey's is off Silver Hill Rd. near the RV palce..........I think.Godfather's is no longer in Metro DC.

The place is still there but it has since been bought by another company that does pizza....the wife and I went for old times...they still had the Pole Position game from the 80's....it still worked.....

Yes, Farrell's was WONDERFUL. The one at Landover Mall was da bomb! Good memories, indeed. And yes I LOVED Chesapeake Bay Seafood House! The one at Bailey's Crossroads is gone and I think that was the last one. :(

I remember that one, but thought the one in Herndon was the last one... ? Hadn't been to either in quite a while before they closed, though.

Didn't all the local Gino's become KFC's in this area? I remember Gino's also had Col Sanders with all his crazy herbs & spices.

The Gino's I remember growing up on Marlboro Pike in District Heights turned into a KFC. Maybe they all did the same thing.

The place is still there but it has since been bought by another company that does pizza....the wife and I went for old times...they still had the Pole Position game from the 80's....it still worked.....

Is it still called Shakey's? Is the pizza still as good as years ago?

Man, I forgot all about Lum's.

Though not a full restaurant Ferrell's and Caravelle's (sp) were great ice cream joints.

For some strange reason's Shakey's is still around.

Speaking of Ice Cream places, we used to go to Giffords Ice Cream palor on Lee Hwy in arlington. It had a drive thru window

I forgot all about Shakeys pizza, used to go ther to drink pitchers of beer

I used to like to go to Horn & Horn. Ahh the Smorgasboard (pretty sure that is spelled wrong.)

Me and two of my friends were driving from Horn and Horn and we had to pull over to chuck up all the food we ate. It was the most classic chain reaction, first me, then the other guy, and the last dude ... pretty bad.

The food was horrible, but it was like three bucks for all you can eat

:doh:

Guest Gichin13
I forgot all about Farrell's. They had one in Tysons right next to the four-screen movie theater when I was a kid. Ah, for the days when Tysons had two different movie theaters in the mall... :laugh:

Drawing a blank on your reference ...

Farrells was upstairs wasn't it? Weren't the movie theatres downstairs? And the Magic Pan was down there too (lower side that faces Route 123)

Guest Gichin13
Speaking of Ice Cream places, we used to go to Giffords Ice Cream palor on Lee Hwy in arlington. It had a drive thru window

Wow, someone else remembers Giffords. I think that is a pizza joint now isnt it?

I used to LOVE Hot Shoppes when I was a kid. My favorite meal was their roast beef, which they sliced for you right off the roast, mashed potatoes, their great baked macaroni and cheese, and some buttered vegies and dinner rolls. Man, that used to be great, especially if we ate that before or after seeing a movie.

About Shakeys, they really have changed. They used to handtoss and make their own pizza, but now they have the typical premade rolls of doe on trays. But, when I was younger, the Frederick location was very good: They had a window where you could watch the pizza being made (and flipped into the air), and I remember my sister's and I arguing over who would get the pizzas with the bubbles. Their pepperoni pizza was always tasty and well made.

Maryland used to have better food, it seems, when I was younger. :-P

Farrells was upstairs wasn't it? Weren't the movie theatres downstairs? And the Magic Pan was down there too (lower side that faces Route 123)

Yeah, Farrell's was upstairs. There was the movie theater downstairs, which was kinda down the hall from The Magic Pan. I think it had 12 screens... ? There was a smaller movie theater upstairs, right next to Farrell's, that had only four screens. Maybe more. I remember going to both when I was a kid. You actually entered from the second floor, but the screens were on the first floor and took an escalator down from inside. IIRC, concessions were also on the top floor.

Magic Pan was great too. I loved the cheese fritters and the cherries royale crepe dessert.

Too bad the Cubans burned everyone making the crepes too tight which led to them closing up shop!!:laugh:

The Gino's I remember growing up on Marlboro Pike in District Heights turned into a KFC. Maybe they all did the same thing.

Marlboro Pike with PG's only drive- in theater.Last movie I saw there was a double feature Body and Soul and Penitentary.Made me run out and get that Jayne Kennedy tape.:cheers:

I'm not sure if Rustler's and Ponderosa where DC-only.But Poderosa was my first real job.

Marlboro Pike with PG's only drive- in theater.Last movie I saw there was a double feature Body and Soul and Penitentary.Made me run out and get that Jayne Kennedy tape.:cheers:

I'm not sure if Rustler's and Ponderosa where DC-only.But Poderosa was my first real job.

Yeah, I remember the drive-in in Capital Heights. I remember going one time, but fell asleep during the movie.

I used to wear out Rustler's/Ponderosa everyday during lunch in high school (Silver Hill Road in Suitland). Anyone else have open lunch? It was pretty cool.

We used to be able to get a Big Mac & large Fry for only $2 and lunch at Rustlers was $5.

Guest Gichin13
Yeah, Farrell's was upstairs. There was the movie theater downstairs, which was kinda down the hall from The Magic Pan. I think it had 12 screens... ? There was a smaller movie theater upstairs, right next to Farrell's, that had only four screens. Maybe more. I remember going to both when I was a kid. You actually entered from the second floor, but the screens were on the first floor and took an escalator down from inside. IIRC, concessions were also on the top floor.

Holy cow, you are dead right. I had totally forgotten the ones upstairs despite picturing right next to Farrells. Then they shut them down and turned them into stores. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!!

Most of that stuff I was too young for, but I used to go to the Hot Shoppes Cafeteria in Wheaton Plaza all the time with my Grandparents, they got rid of it in the 90's I think.

Man they had some nice desserts there too.

Is that the same place that you all are talking about.

There was another Hott Shoppes that I used to go to occasionally that wasn't a cafeteria and they had orange freezes and stuff, I'm not sure if they were the same or not too.

As for Chesepeake Seafood House, we used to go to the ones in Rockville and Bethesda all the time. My dad loved the cajun catfish, though most of us got the all you can eat cod.

I distinctly remember the arcade games like Q-bert that we played near the entrance on occasion.

Archived