Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

The second part is largely the ignorance of good soccer by the majority of Americans. It sounds elitist but if you're watching a game just for the goals you're missing the point. There's a reason why its called the beautiful game. Its a little odd to me that people think baseball is so great and yawn at the World Cup.

I feel the same way.

I don't really understand what's happening between goals, but I can acknowledge that guys are moving into position to set up scores and there's a very clear momentum in place when a team is on the verge of scoring. It's not just guys aimlessly kicking the ball up and down the field. I think it's cool when a goal seems to come out of entirely nowhere, until they show the replay and break down who did what away from the ball to set things up.

Meanwhile, Americans love baseball and NASCAR, two sports that for the lay person watching, it seems like a whole bunch of nothing is going on. But again, although I don't get NASCAR, I know that there are certain strategies to taking pit stops, and that plays a role in what's going on on the race track, the same way planning out substitutions for the right times impacts what's going on on the soccer field.

I don't fully understand the little nuances of these sports, but that doesn't mean I complain about them. So I can never really agree when people argue about soccer being "boring." Bad soccer is probably boring. But so is probably the average WAC conference football game.

Its a little odd to me that people think baseball is so great and yawn at the World Cup.

I don't know what people you're talking about, but htis is a FOOTBALL thread. FOOTBALL is America's game. Baseball used to be the national pastime. Now no one cares about baseball.

I feel the same way.

I don't really understand what's happening between goals, but I can acknowledge that guys are moving into position to set up scores and there's a very clear momentum in place when a team is on the verge of scoring. It's not just guys aimlessly kicking the ball up and down the field. I think it's cool when a goal seems to come out of entirely nowhere, until they show the replay and break down who did what away from the ball to set things up.

Meanwhile, Americans love baseball and NASCAR, two sports that for the lay person watching, it seems like a whole bunch of nothing is going on. But again, although I don't get NASCAR, I know that there are certain strategies to taking pit stops, and that plays a role in what's going on on the race track, the same way planning out substitutions for the right times impacts what's going on on the soccer field.

I don't fully understand the little nuances of these sports, but that doesn't mean I complain about them. So I can never really agree when people argue about soccer being "boring." Bad soccer is probably boring. But so is probably the average WAC conference football game.

Yep.

Don't understand NASCAR. I stopped ****ting on it because there's no point but I will never be a fan. During the US games, I was absolutely glued to the TV, sitting in a bar with friends from high school (at 10am :ols: ) and it couldn't have been more intense.

Soccer 'does it' for me, and it doesn't 'do it' for some people. The reason why I keep pimping it is because I look at the celebrations in other countries and I wish we could have that. Its so unifying, and there's no comparison. What other US team do people get behind? I watched hockey in the olympics but I know quite a few people didn't. Same thing for Olympic basketball.

I don't know what people you're talking about, but htis is a FOOTBALL thread. FOOTBALL is America's game. Baseball used to be the national pastime. Now no one cares about baseball.

No.

This is a Random Thought Thread, hence the title :)

Baseball is immensely popular and, as Spartacus pointed out, so is NASCAR. I despise NASCAR, and only really enjoy playoff baseball but its inaccurate to say that no one cares about baseball.

I can't get into soccer, because I have the attention span of an American.

At least in baseball there are breaks pretty often. Nascar has crashes.

Regular season baseball is something I can put on and do something else. There's enough downtime that I don't have to be glued to the TV. With everything else I watch (Basketball, hockey, football, soccer) I'm usually not doing much else (except posting on ES about it :ols: ) because I'm paying so much attention to it.

Regular season baseball is something I can put on and do something else. There's enough downtime that I don't have to be glued to the TV. With everything else I watch (Basketball, hockey, football, soccer) I'm usually not doing much else (except posting on ES about it :ols: ) because I'm paying so much attention to it.

Football is my number one, but I'm really starting to hate the NFL with all the criminals and look at me *******s, so I want to quit that habit.

I've been getting a lot more into the NHL the last few years and it helps that the Flyers are the best team in hockey. :D

Football is my number one, but I'm really starting to hate the NFL with all the criminals and look at me *******s, so I want to quit that habit.

I've been getting a lot more into the NHL the last few years and it helps that the Flyers are the best team in hockey. :D

Actually, that title would belong to the Canucks :)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings

On paper. Just beat you in a shoot out a week ago yesterday :)

Seriously though, get into hockey. Go to Flyers game, I'm sure they're fun.

Caps games are the best pro sporting event I've ever been to, by far.

I used to go as a kid all the time. I don't know how I got away from it. Maybe the lock out. I've been begging my friends to take me. I'm friends with the teams masseuse and he can get me tickets whenever. I should hit him up.

Both teams are awesome when they are on and last week, who didn't beat us in a shoot out. :ols:

I don't know what you're talking about.

It's The Tailgate forum, in a thread called "Random Thought Thread." Nothing to do with "FOOTBALL" specifically.

But I can appreciate that your signature is just "USA! USA! USA!" with Beavis & Butthead. It all goes along well with your general Americana post.

I don't know what you're talking about.

It's The Tailgate forum, in a thread called "Random Thought Thread." Nothing to do with "FOOTBALL" specifically.

But I can appreciate that your signature is just "USA! USA! USA!" with Beavis & Butthead. It all goes along well with your general Americana post.

I think he's lost.

Archived