Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

If it's random and you don't call it relevant....which you did.

Come on...it's 2:15 and you know I've been drinking...quit with your stupid boy mind games.

Not playing mind games at all, just having a random discussion about math and it's place in the RTT.

I may be going to California for a summer internship with Intel...really hoping I get it.

I see a and automatically see a C++ or Java matrix. I need to stop writing code for tonight.

I don't think anyone saw the links i posted, look at em closely one of is 2[8-3(4-2)] the other is 2*[8-3(4-2)] and both give different answers if though it should be the same exact thing the first one is really reading as 16/(2[8-3(4-2)]) and the other as 16/2*2

I don't think anyone saw the links i posted, look at em closely one of is 2[8-3(4-2)] the other is 2*[8-3(4-2)] and both give different answers if though it should be the same exact thing the first one is really reading as 16/(2[8-3(4-2)]) and the other as 16/2*2

It's the implied * that throws everything off. the * essentially separates 2 terms. In one case it's treated as a single term, the other it's 2.

exactly so it must mean () and [] don't mean the same thing

because if you try 16 ÷ 2(8-3(4-2)) + 1 it does not equal 16 ÷ 2[8-3(4-2)] + 1, according to the wolfy thingy atleast but it does it equal 16 ÷ 2*[8-3(4-2)] + 1

to wolfram they may be different. but in mathematics, they are the exact same.

than i stick with my answer of 288 and 17, or 2 and 5. Siding more with 288 and 17 though, who can give the concrete answer though?

There is no concrete answer because the equation is up for interpretation. And any equation that can have different interpretations is not a true mathematical equation.

There is no concrete answer because the equation is up for interpretation. And any equation that can have different interpretations is not a true mathematical equation.

I like that answer, put that in the thread and close that beast once and for all. I am tired of thinking about this.

Ever argued with someone who is so bat **** ignorant about something yet they have ridiculously strong opinions about it? To make matters worse, they aren't receptive to any one else's opinion.

I feel like poking needles through my brain right now, knowing that I wasted the last two hours when I could have been 100% more productive.

Archived