Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am i a retard

no1fanofno21

One of the big things that hits the team cap-wise when a player is released is the way the signing bonus is handled. If a player signs a 10 year contract and gets a $10 million dollar signing bonus the signing bonus is spread out over the lenght of the contract $1 million per season. If the player is cut after say the 2nd year, the remaining about is due that season. So even though the player is gone, he counts at least $8 million against the cap for that season. There are other issues as well with the salaries.

If they are cut before their contract is up, they have to pay out a part of that contract, signing bonus, whatever it is. Players arent just cut with a handshake and a kick in the rear, they get their share as well.

What he said. Part of that money counts against the cap as a penalty in the year that the cut takes place.

Its a way to make sure that a team doesn't just sign a player to a long term deal with alot of cash and then cut him two years into the deal. Otherwise, you'd have everyone signing players to 5 or 6 year deals with all the cash on the back end, winning the big game, then cutting them.

i know im setting myself up with this title. But i am just wondering when a team cuts someone how do they get a big cap hit? Shouldn't that help the team not hurt it?

I doubt you are a retard, but you do have to do a little bit of reading and research with the Research function, to get the right answer. Not that I'm a genius, but this is such an elementary question, I wonder if its really worth starting a thread over. :paranoid:

Archived